main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit 2017 Novels (announced)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Skywalker2B, Dec 5, 2016.

1. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016

???????????????????

Boy, do I have news for you about Leia Organa. She even uses the force actively in Life Debt.

mes520 likes this.
  2. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    In 2015 we got:
    Dark Disciple, Twilight Company, Lost Stars, Heir to the Jedi, Lords of the Sith, Aftermath
    In 2016 we got:
    TFA novelisation, Life Debt, Bloodline, Catalyst, Ahsoka, RO novelisation
    In 2017 we're getting:
    Thrawn, Empire's End, Rebel Rising

So is it safe to assume that they'll announce at least 2-3 more books for 2017?

3. canadianwookie

canadianwookie Jedi Knight

Jan 15, 2015

Fair point. Maybe force user is the wrong word to use but I think you know what I mean. Someone who is actively following a jedi/sith-esque path.

FWIW I said after Bloodline that book completely cemented the idea that I think the decision not to make Leia a jedi was a good one.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Probably but they've got this weird and irritating habit of announcing the books with only 3-4 months ahead of release.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I assume they will do a novel or two just ahead of The Last Jedi.

6. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Back in November I had asked the site runner of Jedi Bibliothek (#1 source for tracking literature releases) if there was any word on Del Rey novels after Thrawn. He told me that it looks like there will be one in August and one in October. I can ask him again to see if anything has changed.

7. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I haven't heard of Rebel Rising, what's that?

8. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    It's a YA book following Jyn Erso before RO. It has a surprisingly large page count, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Re...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=1484780833

9. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Ah, okay. I caught up a lot last year but still have ones....that are perhaps more canonically important to go. Have to catch this and the other ones coming out soon though.

10. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but I found another one when looking at Rebel Rising. It's Guardians of the Whills which has Baze and Chirrut in it.

Snax Rebo likes this.
  11. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    I was just looking and it seems both R1 related books will be released on 5/2....so we may get a Cassian/K2 and Bodhi book as well. I prefer the former. GOTW is also being written by Greg Rucka, which is VERY cool as well since he's killing it over at DC w/Wonder Woman.

Jedi Ben and Darkslayer like this.
  12. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yep, I noticed this trend sadly as well and I fear until VIII or even IX is out, this won't change. I guess they will minimize the whole Jedi/Force related things and keep it for stories about Luke. [face_sigh]

13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Don't worry, once Episode VIII is out we should get more stuff on Luke between ROTJ and TFA. I know I will eagerly grab it!

Actually I'd bet Claudia Gray's next project will be a Luke book in the vein of Bloodline.

Balaaa, Snax Rebo and nightangel like this.
  14. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    Darkslayer, oh I hope you're right. I have a feeling it'll be a long time until we get a Luke book relating to his force-school days. :(

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It raises the qustion: Why not cover more Forve related things in stories set before ROTJ?

nightangel likes this.
  16. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    darklordoftech, Since the nucanon has started, I think we've gotten a steady slew of Force-related things. We have Star Wars Rebels, which is heavily Force-influenced and offers new concepts relating to the Force, like The Bendu or Sith Alchemy. In the literature department, let's break it down by release order.

A New Dawn
    • Kanan is a survivor of Order 66
    • He's also the main character
    Tarkin
    • Vader, a Force-Wielder, is present
    Lords of the Sith
    • Goes into the heads of Palpatine and Vader
    • Elaborates heavily on Sith philosophy
    Heir to the Jedi
    • The entire story is force-related
    Dark Disciple
    • Follows two Force-users
    • Gives some philosophy and lore
    Aftermath
    • First hardcover book released without any Force-users as the main characters, so that's 1.
    Twilight Company
    • 2nd book without Force-presence
    Life Debt
    • 3rd book
    Bloodline
    • Follows Leia, but I'll give it to you. 4th book
    Catalyst
    • Lyra has multiple chapters where she reflects on the Force and offers more insight to it's role in the SW Galaxy
    So far, that's 6 books relating to the Force and 4 that have nothing to do with it. I'm not counting the YA books, but even if we do it brings the count up to 9 and 6, respectively. There's also the Guardians of the Whills MG book coming out.

Let's also look at the comics, shall we? The main Star Wars title obviously has Luke as a main character and has had arcs dealing with Obi-Wan, Yoda, and a Hutt who collects Force-memorabilia. I don't even have to explain the Darth Vader comic. The miniseries covering Force-lore include Lando, Kanan, Darth Maul, and Anakin/Obi-Wan.

We're getting more Force-related stories than not.

17. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I think Lucasfilm have big plans for an Old Republic era movie, plus whatever weird force lore gets expanded in The Last Jedi.

Same reason why Boba Fett hasn't really been touched. Anthology film

Snax Rebo likes this.
  18. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    We got Ahsoka recently as well. I know it's YA but there's something. I hope we get more Luke stuff after TLJ, after ROTJ, stuff, etc. I also'd like to see a Claudia Gray novel on Luke. I'd hope we see some Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon books as well. I think the SW comic gives a good launching point for Obi-Wan.

19. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Personally, I think we've been getting tons of interesting Force-related stuff in the new canon. Also, the Aphra comic book series covers Force-lore as well.

spicer and Snax Rebo like this.
  20. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    YES YES YES

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd say people are thinking of the old, now fortunately gone, Denningverse when they talk of the Force and Jedi dominating the stories to their detriment. If a character had no force ability, then, in those series they had no point. They had no chance against a Force-user, never mind Jedi or Sith or whatever else turned up.

Now, SW is never going to throw out the notion of the Force, how could it? It's one of the central concepts that sets it apart from other tales, but the new material is balancing it out so other, non-Force users get a look in!

22. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Bueno. A big wish for me is a Dooku novel by James Luceno.

darklordoftech and Darkslayer like this.
  23. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Yes! I'm really glad to see so many people asking for this, I think it would do a great job of expanding on both Dooku's character and the Separatist Crisis.

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Any way to get in contact with someone? Wending after all got the chance to write Aftermath due to his fans online.

Darkslayer likes this.
  25. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I don't know, but I'd love to try and make it happen.