main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rey Parentage Thread (with new poll; see notes on page 2447)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by poundpuppy29, Dec 20, 2015.

?

Rey is?

Poll closed Dec 25, 2017.
  1. Luke Skywalker's daughter

28.4%
  2. Han and Leia Solo's daughter

11.2%
  3. A Kenobi

11.6%
  4. A Palpatine

6.7%
  5. A clone (of who?)

0.7%
  6. Unrelated to any characters we know

34.7%
  7. Related to someone else we know (state who)

3.4%
  8. Other

3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016

Its probably because Daisy is holding a glowing blue stick next to her face. My hazel eyes would probably look blue in photos as well if I did that.

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    Can someone enlarge Rey's eyes please and put a lightning feature on, just to have a look and further investigate......

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Blue eyed and whacked in the head.

4. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    It's the difference between a broad reflection across the sclera and a more curved, tightly-focused reflection along the cornea. That's what I'm seeing, anyway.

5. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think missing baby mama makes it easier to explain. We then either have a tragic backstory or, far more exciting - Rey's mother is still alive and someone we will get to meet in 9 or beyond.

6. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Maz didn't change Rey's mind at all. Maz inspired Rey to run away in terror after reaffirming her commitment to return to Jakku.

Everything else that you described is your spin on what was never made explicit in the movie. We know that when she force pulled the saber, she wasn't embracing anything. She was protecting herself and Finn. Otherwise she wouldn't have needed to take that moment later in the fight to let the force in, which she only did because Kylo reminded her that it might be helpful in battle (seeing as it helped her escape from the chair on SKB). Rey was given zero exposition on her inner motivations, so anything you or I have to say on the subject is little more than a guess.

I'm pretty sure we know we aren't meeting the baby mama in Episode IX. Didn't the director say specifically that he isn't introducing any new characters? The only hope for a baby mama in this trilogy, as far as I can tell, is Laura Dern, Phasma, or Leia.

starocean90 likes this.
  7. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I can't buy Rey Solo simply because neither Leia nor Han mentioned having a believed to be dead or lost daughter when talking about Ben....and that's something two parents would bring up when discussing their last surviving child. Rey Skywalker or random are the only two that make any acceptable sense in my mind.

8. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Fair enough, I suppose! :) And like I said earlier, we'd need to wait until more images of Rey in TLJ came out to be able to be absolutely sure either way on the matter, so there's really no point in wasting energy arguing one way or the other.

Satipo and Artoo-Dion like this.
  9. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    What? How do you not introduce any new characters? Even ROTJ had Wickett and Jabba.

Satipo likes this.
  10. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Rey was Cartman in TFA,"**** you guys, I'm going back to Jakku.":p

nightangel and Darth Basin like this.
  11. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    she didn't want to accept her call on the hero journey. this all goes back to the hero's journey which star wars uses a lot. as for the rest the climax is kylo ren killing han (that's a story element). it's the tipping point, that changes the protagonist's motivations. it's also part of the hero's journey. rey claiming the lightsaber is as well. that's when rey stops reacting to everything and fleeing and claims her full agency as a character. i think these things are pretty clear personally.

Satipo and Chained Prometheus like this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If we are gonna entertain notions that the image has NOT been altered in order to have her eyes illuminated by the saber... we really need to talk about how she clearly has a chin that does not match the rest of her face. Her chin is either meant to reflect some light from the saber blade or there will be a scene in TLJ where 2-1B gives Rey a synthetic jaw.

13. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Well, I don't think we can rule it out in 9, but maybe they pull the kind of trick Lucas was originally going to pull for the ST - the hero goes searching for their long lost relative (Nellith?!).

Re Rey and Maz - I disagree with your reading of the story here. Rey does know that Maz is right, but she is fighting it at that point. When she takes up the saber she is accepting her destiny and by the time she lets the force in, Jakku is off the agenda. She has found the belonging she sought as JJ said in those that came back for her. Now Leia's hug may be part of that belonging, but the idea that she might return to Jakku
    until she meets Leia is wife of the mark imo. The commentary track certainly makes it sound like friends, not family are her belonging - but I admit that might not be the endgame there.

ColdLazarou likes this.
  14. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016

I'm so on board with living mama. It'd make a nice change of pace for SW. Also could up the ante for Drama. So far, Leia is the only mother to make it to middle age, and now even thats up in the air.

15. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015

Oh excuse me, I think I didn't represent the quote accurately. Here it is:

I get the hero's journey argument, but I also think Rey's journey in TFA is a bit lacking, so take that for what it's worth. Rey didn't make a choice that the audience could see, other than the choice to defend herself. That is a choice that Rey makes throughout the movie, so it isn't novel. Pulling the saber isn't even the first time Rey uses the force to protect herself. I think people are filling in blanks on their own that JJ almost went out of his way not to fill in. Rey isn't a character that is given many opportunities to determine her own fate in TFA, until the very end, when she chooses to go to Luke.

16. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    they said that he seemed to confirm when he said he's not creating a host of new characters... i would really need to watch the interview itself.

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  17. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Well, if Luke killed Rey's parents because they were evil darksiders who were trying to kill Luke, I guess I don't understand how the revelation of Rey's parentage could possibly be " profoundly satisfying" as the director of episode ix clearly stated...

18. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Well anyway, a host of characters is very different from one key new character if needed.

ChildOfWinds and Rabs like this.
  19. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    If they will not create new characters and Luke end up being Rey's father, the only "I'm ur mom!" option is:
    -Maz

20. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    i mean if luke thought that his long lost wife and daughter were tragically killed in an off screen event, i'm not sure how the answer is "profoundly satisfying" ?

my point in saying this is i feel like we can apply the "but that's not profoundly satisfying enough" argument to anyone's theory...

or to give a different explanation: is a story where a girl who doesn't know who she is finds luke on an island really emotionally satisfying? the answer totally depends on how they tell the story.

after everything rey went through that plea in her eyes as she holds the lightsaber out to luke, brought tears to my eyes. and it's not because of the 'what' as much as the 'why' and 'how.'

Satipo and Jedi Jessy like this.
  21. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Maybe the last three Force users alive containing Skywalker blood end up on Mortis where they take up the mantles of the Father, Daughter, and Son....thus bringing true balance back to the Force. I know it wont happen but I think that would be a fitting end to the Skywalker Saga and open up the doors for a new Saga set in the GFFA. Maybe one that takes place four or five thousand years before the Skywalkers. Ah, the dreams of fanboys......

Satipo likes this.
  22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The secret is in the name of the movie.
    Kylo hears "The Last Jedi" and assumes it's Luke, but he heard wrong. Snoke is worried about the "Lars Jedi".

23. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    With the tragic death of Carrie & assuming Phasma & LD aren't Reymom we just might get to see Reymom thanks to script changes.

24. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    "profoundly satisfying"
    [​IMG]

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    What is Rey's inner most desire? To be reunited with her family. When she's lonely and desperate to sleep what does the Force show her? An island. When she finally accepts her destiny and gives up the notion that her family will simply return to her where does it lead her? Luke Skywalker... on an island.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.