main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rey Parentage Thread (with new poll; see notes on page 2447)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by poundpuppy29, Dec 20, 2015.

?

Rey is?

Poll closed Dec 25, 2017.
  1. Luke Skywalker's daughter

28.4%
  2. Han and Leia Solo's daughter

11.2%
  3. A Kenobi

11.6%
  4. A Palpatine

6.7%
  5. A clone (of who?)

0.7%
  6. Unrelated to any characters we know

34.7%
  7. Related to someone else we know (state who)

3.4%
  8. Other

3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Why not? It answers a question.

2. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016

To me, when I hear the word "reveal," especially in conjunction with all the ancillary evidence along with a director stating he decided to let the next director have "the reveal," it sounds to be like there is something far more dramatic coming than just a simple "oh she's this random girl."

There are some simple "good storytelling attributes/clues" that a lot of people seem to be ignoring.

3. DarkMark

DarkMark Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 6, 2002

It was her innermost desire. TFA was about her letting go of that, accepting she won't see them again, and finding a new "belonging" - as a Jedi.

Which doesn't mean they won't later show up again in a way she doesn't expect and which turns her understanding of the world upside down.

"Open mind" ... ah, chance would be a fine thing.

4. DarkMark

DarkMark Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 6, 2002

You see, my reading of the film was ...

1. The mystery was why her parents had left and where they had gone, not necessarily her "lineage"
    2. The Force
    3. They liked each other
    4. The Force - they were both Force-sensitive, and both upset over the death of the same person
    5. Again, the Force, destiny, whatever you want to call it. And the Ahsoka novel recently established that kyber crystals can "call" to the right person even after they're put into a lightsaber, and that this has nothing to do with bloodline.

So, "many of the truths we cling to" and all that ...

5. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    this is what i was looking for earlier. where is that quote?

6. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Trying to analyze or predict an outcome and trying to figure out a surprise at the same time are two conflicting motivations.

7. EzraSnoke

EzraSnoke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 25, 2017
    I've always thought Rey was progeny of Obi-Wan, since the actual movie screening of The Force Awakens.

There were so many hints and call-backs to Obi-Wan in the movie itself that (imo) people will smack their foreheads and say out loud, "derr, of course" when it's revealed in The Last Jedi.

spacebaby45678 likes this.
  8. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    but to be objective, one must compare to the call-backs to luke and anakin.

Darth Geezy likes this.
  9. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002

Indeed. Every supposed Obi-Wan connection is trumped by Skywalker connections.

ChildOfWinds and starocean90 like this.
  10. EzraSnoke

Jan 25, 2017
    Those ones were all red-herrings :p

spacebaby45678 likes this.
  11. EzraSnoke

Jan 25, 2017
    rumor is Snoke tells Luke he is Anakin's father. Not sure if that means he's Plagueis or not.
    That'd be one crazy script by Rian if Snoke is Anakin's father, and Anakin is Rey re-incarnated. Imagine also the psychological impact that would have on Kylo who worships the fallen Anakin.

12. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    o_O

Granek likes this.
  13. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    there is more to consider than how many references/call-backs. it is often said that star wars follows a predictable formula, but TFA went waaaaay overboard with that IMO. the hero (most powerful with the force) thus will get a ton of call-backs to previous star wars main heroes powerful with the force.

14. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016

[​IMG]

15. spacebaby45678

spacebaby45678 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2016

Actually that is not objective. At this point the movie has been out for 13 months, I am not going to go over these things point by point, that is pointless and redundant, this thread is 1300 pages long and I am sure it has been covered.

16. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002

By all means - if you'd like to find it or repost - please do.

But the main ones (living alone, mind control, force vision) have as close or closer Skywalker (Luke/Anakin) ties than Kenobi ones.

17. Darth Geezy

Jan 29, 2016
    I'd be okay with the Rey being a reincarnation only if it ties into the villain, Snoke, being Plagueis (or a dark side user that has figured out how to create life) and the reincarnation story being used as a device to tie everything up. I know many disagree, but Anakin's origin, to me, is the single biggest unresolved plot hole in Star Wars and I'd be okay if it gets re-visited and resolved in this manner.

"He was able to manipulate the midichlorians to create life" followed by the creepy head turn towards Anakin, the main focal point of this saga who has no father, needs to be resolved.

18. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    Just my $0.02 but the notion of actual physical resurrection, reincarnation, spiritual possession, and time travel have never been a part of Star Wars movies and would really seem out of place in the movies. For a lot of the theories people toss around requires this new trilogy to leave established Star Wars movie lore. I specify the movies, because the old EU, the cartoons and other media, have included at least some elements of these things, but to movie fans, it wouldn't feel much like a Star Wars movie for such a significant element to jump so far out of character for the movies. Even Maul remains dead in the movies, even though he's been seen repeatedly in the cartoons. There is an unwritten separate canon for the movies than there is for the rest of the story mediums. I wouldn't expect Disney to blow that apart after spending $4B for specifically that.

19. Darth Geezy

Jan 29, 2016
    I think by reincarnation, most of us mean "re-created by the same force or being" that created Anakin. I'd like it better if both Anakin and Rey were created unnaturally through the force by a being rather than it occurring naturally.

20. ElephantSpice

ElephantSpice Jedi Youngling

Jan 31, 2017

JJ Abrams ignored the prequel trilogy. If Snoke turns out to be Plagueis in TLJ, then it wasn't the original intent but Johnson's turn of events. Personally, I like the Plagueis theory since it does tie in the prequels (even though I think they stated that Kylo and Snoke aren't sith and Plagueis was described as a "dark lord of the sith"), but I do not like the Rey-carnated theory.

21. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002

With all the backlash LFL got over the Anakin origin in the PT - I can't see Disney opening Pandora's Box again.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  22. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016

Well, Maul doesn't really "remain dead" in the films; he just hasn't made an appearance in further films. He still canonically survived.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea there's a separate canon for films and everything else. That's why the old EU was scrapped: to make canon consistent and coherent. Nowadays there's one canon, not different levels of canon.

23. Darth Geezy

Jan 29, 2016
    I don't think it is accurate to say that the prequels are "ignored."

Perhaps he won't use terminology from them such as "midichlorians" and such, but the story is still a part of the available canon.

Plagueis "WAS the dark lord of the Sith." Perhaps he renounced it once he saw the error in its ways and the rule of 2, etc. Perhaps he now values both the light and the dark and is trying a different approach.

Anyway...back to Rey's parentage.

24. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Luke's costume in ANH - White, ESB - Grey, ROTJ - Black.

Rey's costume in TLJ - White, Grey and Black.

Rey Skywalker confirmed.

25. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Rey Sinatra confirmed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.