main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rey Parentage Thread (with new poll; see notes on page 2447)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by poundpuppy29, Dec 20, 2015.

?

Rey is?

Poll closed Dec 25, 2017.
  1. Luke Skywalker's daughter

28.4%
  2. Han and Leia Solo's daughter

11.2%
  3. A Kenobi

11.6%
  4. A Palpatine

6.7%
  5. A clone (of who?)

0.7%
  6. Unrelated to any characters we know

34.7%
  7. Related to someone else we know (state who)

3.4%
  8. Other

3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Why didn't we learn who Rey was in TFA? Because the powers that be only wanted to do one reveal.

Is there a rule that says Rey's revealed parentage has to be an unexpected twist? No. Not being able to predict who her parents are doesn't automatically make her backstory more interesting than if we could easily guess who they are.

Does TLJ have to include some sort of big twist to be a good movie? No, though I'm sure we'll be surprised by something in the film.

Is it possible there will be parts of TLJ that seem to contradict what's been said in the books and visual dictionary and possibly even TFA? Yes. In fact I think the books will largely be ignored. Hope for an Easter egg at most folks. After we learn about Rey the internet will discover that something about that information doesn't reconcile with previously disclosed info. The timeline might be a bit off, things that were said or shown will only be true "from a certain point of view", other things will be completely glossed over or simply left completely unaddressed. People will wonder, "why did they give us so much info on X in that one book only to never mention it in the movie? And we never learned what so and so were up to during that time period vaguely mentioned in that other book! I can't believe that one event that seemed like a big deal beforehand wasn't talked about much or at all"!

Some of the things we learn about in TLJ might have been dismissed if they had been theorized before the movie came out because others will point out that said theory is contradicted by other available information. Again TLJ might not be able to reconcile everything in a perfectly neat and tidy fashion. It'll annoy some people but hey that's how movies generally operate.

2. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    That you can interpret these things differently has nothing to do with my point. People kept saying there was literally no set up in TFA for Rey Solo. If she's Rey Solo, all of these things will be acknowledged as set up for that conclusion. If she's not, then they're not. But it remains false that TFA objectively offered zero setup for one of Anakin's two children to possibly be the baby mama.

3. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I'm hoping for a twist if there is need for one to be from the FO side rather than Rey's parentage.

DARTH MUPPET and nightangel like this.
  4. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    [​IMG]

Island.

Rey's heritage.

The gorilla in the room.

[​IMG]

[face_laugh]

5. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002

The gif is strong with this one.

6. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    how do you know that? where is it from?

for instance rey has dealings with a junk dealer much like anakin and is an indentured servant while anakin is a slave. this seemed like a deliberate reference.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Don't feed the troll.

Let's all just get back to posting concrete evidence such as Luke had hair and legs and Rey has hair and legs so case closed: Rey Skywalker.

8. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Yes, but Luke only has one hand and Rey has two. You know who else had two hands? Han and Leia. Think about it.

Jedi Jessy and oncafar like this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    No. All evidence pointing to anyone other than Luke is irrelevant because I can also find things that point to Luke. And I want Luke to win so a pox on your "evidence".

10. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    Rey is an android, she's Snoke's creation implanted with false memories, she escaped the lab all those years ago. Which is why Snoke wants her brought to him because he realized that Rey is his creation.:p

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Fact: Rey has a British accent.

You know who else had a British accent? Leia... every 3rd or 4th line she spoke in one film.

12. IncessantRamblings

IncessantRamblings Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2016
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Perfect!

spacebaby45678 likes this.
  13. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Hair? Legs? - So Maul and Cliegg Lars are no option any longer.

14. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    just because you can't see maul's arm hair doesn't mean it's not there! his skin is like peach fuzz, all these little hairs.

15. ElephantSpice

ElephantSpice Jedi Youngling

Jan 31, 2017

I'm not a troll. Just because someone makes a statement you don't agree with doesn't make them a troll. Do some research...

“We tried to sit down and ask ourselves, ‘what feels right?’” Abrams said. “The only real mandate we had was what delights us. We treated the films, especially 4, 5, and 6, we treated those as canon.”

"After The Force Awakens, many were quick to praise J.J. Abrams for disregarding the prequels entirely."

http://heroicuniverse.com/j-j-abrams-gives-the-star-wars-prequels-the-cold-shoulder/
    http://screenrant.com/best-reasons-star-wars-prequels-canon/?view=all

16. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    ALL HAIL, Rey Porkins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

17. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    it seems that he didn't ignore them but considered eps 1-6 canon, but *especially* eps. 4-6. this is well reflected in TFA as it references ep. 4 especially and all the stuff to the prequels is "more subtle" as the second article claims. i noticed that as well.

although since this was about plagueis... i mean, i think it's 99.999999% likely that he will not be showing up in the current trilogy.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    You're right. Statements people do not agree with is not trolling. Posting completely false statements is. Do some research...

Ewan McGregor was hired to reprise his PT role as Obi Wan Kenobi in order to add new dialogue from his character in this new film.
    ROTS dialogue was carried over from both Anakin and Darth Sidious and used in the new film.
    And, these are just tiny examples from one single Force vision. I'd type out lists which include crap like references to clone armies and pod racing flags, etc. but I've already typed such lists countless times before. In response to trolls who post false information to promote their personal anti-PT views. Stop lying if you don't want us to consider your account a troll and treat its access to our forums as such.

19. ElephantSpice

Jan 31, 2017

I do not believe I posted a completely false statement? There are plenty of online sources that account for Abrams' view of the PT, while Johnson is known for being kinder in regard to them. I am actually a fan of the PT so stop assuming that I am here posting some anti-PT rhetoric. I am not. I am simply suggesting that Abrams would not make his main villain based off of one scene in ROTS (and possibly one more in TPM). I am not lying, nor am I a troll. However, if you consider me a troll for bringing alternative viewpoints onto the forum, so be it.

20. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Well all I have to add is that I am glad that most of the last couple of pages are completely on task (except for the trolling things). Glad it's not still about capes and stuff.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    It is hardly an "alternative viewpoint". It is a viewpoint which has been so common that there is literally a gigantic (obviously ignored) banner at the top of every single page of this forum which literally begins: "A Warning For Everyone To See:" and requests that people not wreck this area of the forums with their personal anti-prequel agendas.

Neither Disney nor LFL are "ignoring" the prequels, considering they have brought back multiple actors who only appeared in the prequels (Bail Organa, young Mon Mothma and Kenobi, etc.) and prequel planets such as Mustafar and Coruscant. And TFA, alone carries over multiple visual cues from episodes 1-3. It is not a fact that those films are being "ignored". TFA takes place 60 years after them. My neighborhood is not currently showing too many signs of World War II, either. What you offered in that post is hardly revelatory groundbreaking insight which will blow our online community's minds. Been there, read that, burned the t-shirt. You are more than welcome to be here, and we will take you at your word that you are not here to stir up the same exhausted tripe we got bored with a long time ago in posts far, far away. Just pump the brakes on selling your personal biases regarding the PT in a manner where your sincerity comes into question. We want everyone who wants to positively contribute to feel welcome here. Including you.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Did you even read that second article you linked as some sort of evidence? It correctly explains "Why Future Star Wars Movies Can’t Ignore the Prequels." As in... they can't. And they haven't done that so far, either, in TFA (as the article notes) or in Rogue One.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  23. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    *sigh*

24. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Positive statement: Although Rey was not in the PT and the PT did not reveal her parents I liked it a lot

Wildcatbarry and spacebaby45678 like this.
  25. ElephantSpice

Jan 31, 2017
    Fair enough.

P.S. I grew up when the prequels were coming out and actually enjoy them better than the OT as such, but I suppose I am just here spewing out anti-prequel rhetoric. Therefore, thanks for the time. You all are lovely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.