main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    T
    The final TCW arc leading up to ROTS would've most likely contradicted it, and it's known that all arcs even unreleased are canon.

J7Luke and Tanjint like this.
  2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Tanjint

Pablo Hidalgo@pablohidalgo
    @jbarela319 the micro-series is considered Legends while the series that followed wasn't because of George's direct involvement.

@TheRonyn no, the TCW series did not and was not going to take the micro series into account.

@SamOC11527 Because George wanted to do it with his studio and have it be an LFL production. He saw the micro-series as a test

@TheTrekspert @SW_Rules Or George's TV series basically shoving aside the 2002-2005 years of Clone Wars publishing; he didn't count it

J7Luke, iPodwithnomusic and Tanjint like this.
  3. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015

When I first jumped on this forum in 2015 in the wake of TFA every other article quote and tweet from Pablo was him doing his damndest to backpedal the idea that he was the Ultimate Authority but I guess he is the closest we've got so it is what it is.

I can accept that the Tartatovsky isn't canon but it just seems unnecessary to invalidate it given that the popular way of explaining its placement doesn't really have any major problems unless the Trial stuff I started this discussion mentioning is that problematic to people.

Can anyone speak to the origins of the at-one-point conventional wisdom that the Tartatovsky series "bracketed" the CG series? It kinda seems too perfect for that to have been from nothing.

Thanks!

T

J7Luke and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  4. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015

when you say final TCW arc you mean the one that was never produced due to the series cancellation or you mean the Yoda arc at the end of TCW on Netflix contradicts the Tartatovsky?

-T

J7Luke likes this.
  5. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012

The Siege of Mandalore, which was planned to be the actual finale of TCW but was never produced, would have showed Anakin and Obi-Wan on Mandalore with Ahsoka, and they would have been shown getting called back to Coruscant by Master Yoda to rescue the Chancellor. This was canonized in the Ahsoka novel, which mentioned Anakin rushing off Mandalore to save the Chancellor.

Tanjint, J7Luke and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Guys, don't get so hung up on canonicity. Tanjint asked a question regarding the relationship between certain plot elements of the micro series and ROTS, and if he's gonna get a response it'll be respectful of that context, and not dependent on canon hangups.

And Tanjint you're more or less right on Legends material being Schrödinger's Canon, inherently non-canon but capable of becoming canon in certain capacities.

DARTH-BADGUY, Tanjint and J7Luke like this.
  7. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I think certain certain aspects of the Legends EU will become Canon at some point. Not all of it mind you. The Story Group mentioned that in many interviews. Not just Pablo either, Leland Chee, Kiri Hart and others have alluded to the same thing. It is all about patience at this point.

Tanjint likes this.
  8. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    The 8 part arc that would've been the finale to season 8.

Tanjint likes this.
  9. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    Wow, that sounds crazy! I researched the heck out of Clone Wars recently as I finished the series, watched Crystal Crisis, Bad Batch, read Dathomir/Dark Disciple but didn't see stuff on this? Such a wealth of material out there....

I know this is going down a rabbit hole of a story that never happened but it sounds like the idea was for Ahsoka to return to the order at some point so she could have been at Siege of Mandalore and that she stays behind on Mandalore while ROTS happens? The way the Clone Wars CG and Tartatovsky Clone wars ends (Ahsoka leaving in the former, already gone in the latter) seems a lot more compatible with the films....

-T

J7Luke likes this.
  10. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015

Thank you! I find where the canon stuff is at very exciting in that sense. Even the word "Legends" is telling: a lot of legends are true, a lot aren't!

-T

J7Luke likes this.
  11. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Tanjint

Please do not double post as it counts as a form of spam. Use the edit button to avoid double posting. Or wait until someone else posts after you before you post again. If it's been a day or more then you may post once more to keep the conversation going. But otherwise don't double post.

Tanjint likes this.
  12. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    Understood, thanks!

Wanted to revisit something I spoke on earlier: I couldn't find in ROTS or the deleted scenes where someone explains Anakin applied multiple times for master status. My recollection is a year or more ago someone corrected me and explained that this wasn't the first time Anakin sought the promotion in status. Unless anyone has any recollection of it from the novelization than I am not sure that's right anymore.

Also wondering if maybe I got it from an off the cuff remark from banter with Anakin and someone else at some point...but either way, as of now, I can't cite it.

-T

J7Luke likes this.
  13. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Beginning of Dooku Captured, Anakin asks Obi-Wan about it.

J7Luke, Tanjint and Kualan like this.
  14. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    4 parts actually, all the unreleased arcs are 4-parters. Though Siege of Mandalore would have been built up to by both Son of Dathomir and the 8 other unreleased Ahsoka episodes.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Anakin couldn't have sought the rank of Master when there was no reason for him to get it. It's only when Palpatine offers him a position in the Council that he expects it.

Tanjint likes this.
  16. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
  17. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    He mentions that it lost its target audience because it became dark while the audience for Rebels, which makes less than TCW, are mostly kids. I like both but I really miss the quality of the animation of TCW. :(

18. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015

I think you are right. Somehow I had gotten it in my head that he had applied for Master status multiple times by the time they are discussing it on ROTS but I just reviewed ROTS and deleted scenes and I didn't find that mentioned. I was sure of it at some point, I wonder if someone mentioned it from the novelization or deduced from a remark Anakin banters with someone in TCW but I definitely can't find it anymore so you must be right.

-T

19. Chris_Fives

Apr 16, 2015
    That is actually sad... final, more dark seasons of TCW were actually the best.. but yeah.. I'm 29 y.o now so maybe that's why I liked it:D

20. Tanjint

Dec 21, 2015
    Oh so I am not crazy! Will review the episode tonight! Thank you!

Chris_Fives also 29 here and it is funny that it happened that way because my dislike of the Clone Wars theatrical release made me not watch the show until this last year. I know a lot of friends for whom the the Clone Wars theatrical release was a big red flag of "Don't bother!" which is a shame because even the first episode of the show with Yoda and the troopers was fantastic. If the movie didn't ever come out and we dropped into the show first, I probably would have watched it as it came out.

So the movie repelled older viewers and the later dark episodes repelled younger viewers...a shame indeed....

Also....8 seasons of Clone Wars was supposed to fit into the 2-3 years between Episodes 2 and 3? Wow...They should have just placed 10 years in there- that way Anakin's like 29, Padme's like 34, Obi-Wan closer to the aged man he will be in ANH, gives a stronger sense that Anakin's whole adolescence AND adulthood was him being raised through war....

I say all that with those Pablo tweets in mind...like it's hard for me to buy that the Clone Wars CG series begins 3-4 months after AOTC...Anakin's already got the shaggy hair and adult demeanor? Him saying that there was still a year of story to cover when the show ended means the 6 seasons we got only covered 1-2 years? Obviously he's the closest thing to an authority there is but I see ample reason to not take anyone's perspective as gospel as clearly even the most instrumental creatives involved have huge blind spots (based on what stuff they worked on and cared about) and the canon is very much in flux.

Also regarding those Pablo tweets, noticing that he is 50x more cooperative with inquiry from a production perspective. When you ask him questions from an in-universe point of view I see him way more likely to be laugh off the question.

-T

21. Clone Commander Cassius

Clone Commander Cassius Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2016
    I for the record have only seen maybe two or three episodes of TCW back when it originally aired. It seemed alright, kinda cheesy in some points, plus its pretty blunt that the target audience was the kiddos. but for what it was it seemed alright overall. *shrug*

I got quite a bit of money for birthday and christmas, and as Im a fan of the clones (ever since ATOC's first trailer), I was thinking of either buying the dvd box set of TCW, or maybe some action figures and a vehicle or two.

I was thinking of either the AT-PT with a few figures, or the fighter tank with a few figures. Im not looking to start a collection or anything. Just something star wars to have and display in my room. While the action figs would just sit on my bookshelf and look cool, it seems a steep price for something thats just going to collect dust on a shelf (even though it may look cool).

or should I buy the boxed set of TCW since I never actually watched it but now could buy the whole series and watch whenever?

what should I buy? which would get more use out of? which would be more economical?

Todd EDIT: MERGED

22. Chris_Fives

Apr 16, 2015
    Same here.. I couldn't actually get the feeling from the movie pilot... then I watched few episodes of first season and I still was not feeling it... only once they have announced the 'lost missions' episodes it got me really hyped.. so I started watching it and oh my... how I regreted to not following the show on weekly basis when there was new episode released each week... oh well...

Tanjint likes this.
  23. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Not for me. I loved the show since the beginning and my recent rewatch of the early seasons just confirmed it. I remember being ticked off by the animation of the first seasons though, now I'm okay with it.

24. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    The box set. Judging TCW by two or three episodes of the first season is one of the most tragic errors a SW fan can make. It gets waaay better.

If I had to say one single good thing about TCW, it's greatest strength above all other things about it... I guess it would be that it fixes Anakin.

Remember Obi-Wan telling Luke that he was the best star pilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior, and he was a good friend. Then AoTC and RoTS came out and he just seemed like an up-himself whiny emo. Well... TCW fixes the damage done his character in those movies. It gives us the Anakin described by Ben in ANH, and in spades.

And a final note "It's pretty blunt that the target audience was kiddos" I can see how two or three of the S1 eps might give you that impression. The series as a whole though, is no more nor less targeted at kiddos than the movies. Some parts of it in later seasons are arguably darker and edgier than anything in the OT or PT movies.

Seriously, get the box set, and watch TCW. I can't emphasize that enough.

Tanjint, Chris_Fives and Snax Rebo like this.
  25. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    Seconding the box set, but make sure you get Blu Ray. The animation, especially in later seasons, is absolutely stunning.

Tanjint and Chris_Fives like this.