main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.16 - Legacy of Mandalore - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 17, 2017.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Episode 3.16!!
    Legacy of Mandalore
    -------------------------------------

Discussion of New Episodes - Rules
    (1) One of the mods will post each week's episode thread a few days before it airs on Disney XD.

(2) Discussion in the actual episode thread will be limited to that specific episode, NOT future episodes, past episodes may be referenced.

(3) Rebels episodes air on Saturday at 8:30 pm on Disney XD. Anyone who catches an episode streaming before then must use spoiler tags. After that folks will begin discussing their reviews and thoughts which will likely include spoilers. To anyone concerned about being spoiled before watching the episode it is your responsibility to avoid the thread until you have had your chance to view.

(4) Spoilers like character deaths, appearances, and major plot details must be spoiler tagged in the new episode thread prior to the episode television air date.

(5) Do not post any preview video clips from the individual episode in the episode threads.

(6) Official episode commentary may be posted in this episode thread.

(7) Do not discuss future episodes in here.

(8) Reviews will go in a separate thread for each episode.

[​IMG]

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  2. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
  3. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    See? A whole month went by in no time at all. And best of all, there won't be another hiatus after this.

4. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I know. I'm so happy about that. :)

Vialco likes this.
  5. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    Ugh i'm so excited for this episode! The Mandalorian episodes are always the best!

Knight of Wren and Snax Rebo like this.
  6. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    Very excited. I waited a whole month for this episode.

7. Knight of Wren

Knight of Wren Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 13, 2016
  8. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    Omfg this episode!!!!!!!!!!!
    Major freaking spoilers below. And I mean MAJOR!
    Gar Saxon is killed and Sabine and Fenn Rau stay behind.... It looks like this is the last we've seen of Sabine at least until season 4. She also mentions that she doesn't believe she is the rightful ruler of Mandalore but she will find who is.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  9. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    ^ this.
    Mandalore has officially become a wildcard. I have no doubt we'll visit there in season 4

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Well ****
    Sabine's mother is not Rook Kast.
    Animation was on point this episode!
    Gar straight up died
    Sabine's father lives, but it's truly unlikely he is a know character
    Sabine left the crew at least for now until the season final
    Rau also stayed behind.

The music was top notch!

11. Tsago

Tsago Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 24, 2017
    How stupid is Sabine to turn her back to an armed enemy!??..

12. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    This was some pretty good stuff I must say.

13. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Very good episode especially the end which hinted at something more.
    - As I expected, Sabine left the crew at the end of the episode. Fenn Rau is with her too.
    - She doesn't feel she'll be the leader of Mandalore, but she'll find the person who will. Bo-Katan??
    - Brother Sister relationship
    - Mother Daughter relationship. Her name doesn't bother me really.
    - I knew Sabine wouldn't kill Saxon but he still died anyway, killer by her mom.
    - It didn't spend so much time on the awesomeness of Mandalorians as I feared but more about personal relationship between family member. That I like.
    8/10

14. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    And people doubted my theory on Sabine...
    leaving the crew of the Ghost for a time. Heh. Called it. Whether she actually becomes Mandalore or not, well we shall see.

15. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I was also glad her mother addressed the fact that she couldn't pretend to have a claim on the darksaber if she didn't fight Maul in single combat. Good one. I forgot what was the name of the planet but it's definitively not Mandalore or Carlac. Her brother's name is Tristan and her father is still alive, that's good news. Sabine leaving the crew was kinda hinted by Tiya Sircar 2 years ago. I remember there were a lot of comments about it.

Vialco likes this.
  16. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    "That may be the Mandalorian way, but it's not my way. Not anymore."

A great episode. It didn't hit me as hard emotionally as its predecessor, but I think that's because it was merely setting the scene for more Mandalorian episodes later in the show. But even so, there's so much to talk about!

Cinematography - brilliant, as always. There was real tension at the end of Sabine's duel with Saxon, when we were waiting to see if she would execute Saxon and also a moment later when we were waiting to see who got shot. It was also tense when Tristan had to choose his side. Throughout the episode there were other great quiet and loud moments - the throne room skirmish was great, as were the discussions between Sabine and Ursa, Tristan, and Ezra and Kanan.

Animation - excellent. Sabine's duel with Saxon was the clear standout moment; it was an incredible fight that had a lot of Maul vs Vizsla vibes in it. However, there were also a lot of smaller things that showed the attention to detail, like the ice cracking in the lake or the footprints in the snow, and in particular how the characters interacted with it. The quality is really stepping up this season and it will only continue to get better.

Art, design, sound, score - all gorgeous. The setting was beautiful; Kevin Kiner did a great job with the music again to hit the key emotional notes; I really liked the design of Clan Wren's stronghold, the portrait of Ursa, Ursa and Tristan themselves; and the sound felt really visceral, particularly in the third act when the action all kicked off.

And now we turn to the story. I am so pleased that there were some things in there I didn't expect. I guess since most of us assumed until last night that Sabine's mom was Rook Kast, so I was expecting Ursa to be a lot colder than she was. Instead, she came across as a victim just like Sabine and I loved that she did care for her daughter in the end - even hinting that she sees leadership potential in her, even if Sabine herself doesn't see it. I think this has to be setting up a search for Bo-Katan in Season 4. Furthermore, I was pleased to see Tristan show some affection for Sabine and stand by her this time. It will give Sabine a huge boost of confidence that she so desperately needed. Her family abandoned her, but clearly weren't comfortable with it and did what they felt they had to to survive. Now Sabine is uniting her family again. It was moving to see them turn around and also that Sabine chose to stay behind with them. I don't think this was surprising as it makes sense given how much Sabine values family and Mandalore, and how she wants to make things right. But all the same, her goodbye to Kanan and Ezra was really touching - particularly that she thanked both of them (showing at last a genuine mutual respect between her and Ezra) and, of course, the hug. (I've seen so many people online praying for a hug, I hope they enjoyed it!)

However, I was also pleased that the writers did some things that I thought made sense, given the growth of Sabine's character over the last 2.5 seasons. The main one is, of course, that she chose to spare Gar Saxon. My quote at the top of this post demonstrates everything I've seen of Sabine's character. She is not a typical Mandalorian. She has grown beyond that and become so much more. The ways of her Jedi and Rebel friends have rubbed off on her in a big way and I am so glad that she rose above her people's traditions to demonstrate how far she's come. Even if Kanan won't say it, I'm proud of her, and proud of the writers for this slow burn paying off in respect of Sabine's arc.

Of course, it's not over yet. This is only the beginning, and I think Sabine's merciful, non-Mandalorian qualities make her a perfectly qualified candidate to show her people a new way forward that's different from the Imperial regime and better for Mandalore. Fenn Rau sees her leadership potential, which has become abundantly clear over the last three Mando episodes. Now Ursa and Tristan do too, so it puts her in good stead to face up to the challenge of leadership. I'm sure she will conquer it.

And finally, Rebels shows us that it is prepared to shake things up in a major way, and that it doesn't have to be a finale for this to happen. Every episode has consequences, and when the story calls for it, Rebels can step up to the mark and do itself (and us) proud.

In summary, bravo. I'm hooked on this arc and it's going to be torturous waiting to see it unfold later in the show.

17. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Was Ok, but pretty much what I expected and had predicted around these parts for a bit.;) And there is the noted difference between earning the darksaber sword and just holding the sword or possessing it some other way. Maul still is the rightful owner of the darksaber and ruler of Death Watch & defacto absolute ruler of Mandalorians in absentia .
    And there could be a lesson for those that claimed without merit that Sabine was or is Mand'alor. I see them attempting to use Bo-Katan as a Satine figure again, but I sense Mandalore will remain in a chaotic and perpetual civil or tribal war state, as its very doubtful Death Watch or like minded groups of Mandos would swear loyalty to someone like Bo-Katan or any of them, especially if they lose their independence to the pacifist New Republic.

Canyon D likes this.
  18. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    My only criticism so far is that it continues the trend of Rebels killing off its villains. Animation was superb though, especially the crash scene with the trees and the sound effects. Good work.

Vialco likes this.
  19. Anakin 99

Anakin 99 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2016
    Am I the only I can not find this episode without a audio sync problems After Tristan takes off his helmet

20. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Guys I'm crying.

Sabine was speaking Mando'a.

21. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    I just finished the episode, and god, finally we got an episode involving character development. Rebels needs more episodes like these, more changes and more action so that everything isn't the same in the next episode. One of the best episodes yet. Only dissapointment was that Gar Saxon didn't get executed by Sabine, since it's the mandalorian way. And if he didn't get executed by her, he shouldn't have died.

Now, this episode brought much character development as I said and most important of all, Fenn Rau and Sabine stays behind. Sad, but the show is getting boring without action and changes, which it has gotten some of in this episode. When no actions and changes are happening, one kinda begins looking forward to a main character death or dissapearance (Such as this, when they stayed behind). Hopefully further episodes will provide more changes.

Oh and this episode got us a lot of lore. Imperial Viceroy and Governor of Mandalore Gar Saxon (yes we got this previously, but I feel like this episode confirmed it more). Did anyone else notice how Ursa Wren was called "Countess"? Or did I just hear things? Do all clan leaders receive such a title?

22. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    The whole point of Sabine's character arc has been that she's not a typical Mandalorian. She left her family to join up with a band of Rebels. She forgave Ketsu for betraying her. She challenged Fenn Rau to a duel to the death, yet ended it non-lethally. And most importantly, she hangs out with a Jedi, and has adopted some of their teachings as her own. So, I don't think you should be disappointed with the outcome of the episode. Sabine has had plenty of character exploration and development up to this point, you just have to connect some of the dots yourself.

Knight of Wren and Vegeta Daimo like this.
  23. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

No, I get that. But those are the boring decisions which doesen't change much. I don't like decisions that applies for kids, I feel like that's why they wouldn't do it. Which I dislike of course. It's still one of the best episodes.

24. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Sabine is an adult now though, not a child.

25. daniel brown

daniel brown Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2015
    Anyone else notice Ursa called Gar Saxon the Emperor's Hand? A hint to Mara Jade next season?