main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Off-stage is where it happened.

Barriss_Coffee and mes520 like this.
  2. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I think it could be Dark Empire Sourcebook.

Senpezeco and darklordoftech like this.
  3. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Thank you, as I also was curious about this. I found this in Chapter Two, under the section "Emperor Palpatine":

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It seemed to happen right before Tatooine Ghost, because they were keeping it a secret before then and then suddenly in TG every podracer and brat on the street knew about it. And were like "Yeah? So? Wanna medal?" whenever Leia brought it up. As much as I love the old EU, the new EU blew it away in that regard.

We wanna be in the room where it happened
    The room where it happened
    We just assume that it happens
    But no one else is in
    The room where it happened

vncredleader likes this.
  5. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Do we know whether the Han Solo comic takes place before, during, or after the Star Wars ongoing? What is the Rebel base he goes to at the beginning of the first issue?

6. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004

From memory, I think he just rendezvouses with the rebel fleet, so his conversation with Leia and Cracken appear to take place on one of the cruisers - potentially the Nebulon-B Frigate we see.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Beside the serp, do there exist any SW culture that is inspired by medieval Europe?

8. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    the planet Weik is very medieval, at least technology-wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamiel likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks but I am looking for culture-wise, especially the trappings.

10. Anakin 99

Anakin 99 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2016
    I finished Dark Empire Trilogy what I should read Next Crimson Empire or Jedi Search

11. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Crimson Empire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
  13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
  14. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I just finished the Thrawn Trilogy; I'm not quite sure where to go next. What book should best be read after the Trilogy. I'm making my way to the NJO, so I'd like to read what builds up to it. I wouldn't want to skip any good reads, though. Thanks for answering, in advance!

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    If you care more about lore, read the Jedi Academy trilogy, I, Jedi, The Corellian trilogy, and the Hand of Thrawn duology.

If you care more about quality, read I, Jedi, Starfighters of Adumar, The Black Fleet Crisis trilogy, the Hand of Thrawn duology, Survivor's Quest, and Scourge.

If you don't care and want to read as much as you can, read the above plus The Crystal Star. And maybe Darksaber.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Also Union. For all choose-your-own-reading-adventure options.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  17. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I'm somewhat in the process of the same thing, having done half of the Bantam Era when they came out, and then never going forward.
    There's kind of 4 categories, and if you're not hung up on doing a strictly Chronological reading, and want to follow the Big Narrative Beats, here's one path:

• Dark Empire Trilogy (comic) - A bit of an important story beat in the lives of the Skywalkers. Referenced often in coming books.
    • Jedi Academy Trilogy + Darksaber (Kevin J Anderson) -While Darksaber also wirdly serves as the middle of another trilogy of sorts following the character of Callista, it also serves more as the finale to the 'Kevin J Anderson Universe' in this era. It's tonally consistent with the JAT, and follows up on some stuff that happens in it. These books were really what cemented the Bantamverse as being a consistent, lore-building thing. They're fun and a bit silly, but kind of key for getting the Bantam Era.
    • X-Wing Novel Series, X-Wing Comics, + I, Jedi (Stackpole/Alston) - Starts a few years before Heir to the Empire, and really adds new layers and truly expands the expanded universe. I Jedi follows a character from the X-Wing novels during the events of the Jedi Academy Trilogy, and beyond, giving a whole new perspective on that story. (It also makes a lot more sense if you've already read the JAT).
    • Hand of Thrawn Duology (Zahn): The Capstone and Finale of the Bantamverse, kind of taking into consideration and working in the key elements of all the stuff listed above, but the closest thing to a direct sequel to The Thrawn Trilogy in the lot.
    As said before, there are others you may enjoy. While they have some interesting ideas, I personally found the other 'Callista Books' (Children of the Jedi, Planet of Twilight) a bit, well, boring, and hard to slog through. Other series may also have interesting ideas, and be fun in their own way, but they really don't seem to be key in the progressing narrative. The tend to be stories that, "Sure, also happened", but don't really have big ramifications either in the progression of the overall story, or on the individual characters' arcs.
    At least, that's my impression as I've been pushing along with the material i've missed, and selectively revisiting material I'd read decades ago!

For Extra Credit, read the Tales of the Jedi comics run by Tom Veitch and Kevin J Anderson. These were also written during this time, and serve as Ancient History touchpoints to both Dark Empire and the Jedi Academy Trilogy stories respectively.

Gamiel and Kylun like this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would ad the Young Jedi Knight series where we follow Han and Leia's children + friends as they train to be Jedi.

Taalcon likes this.
  19. Outbound Myth

Outbound Myth Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2017
    I'm in a similar boat. I read the Thrawn trilogy and enjoyed it very much. Then I heard that Zahn wrote a prequel about the mysterious Outbound Flight project, and so I read that and thought it was great! So now I'm rereading the Thrawn trilogy in preparation for the Hand of Thrawn books. But I've heard that those two are a sort of "finale" of the Bantam books. Will I be super confused if I just go into them, though? I plan to read the Hand of Thrawn, Survivor's Quest, and then Outbound Flight again before reading the new Thrawn book.

20. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Does anyone know where I can read the Tales of the Jedi series? I've looked on Comixology and all the issues are sold individually. Is there a way to get them collected?

21. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    No. I mean sure there are trades......which have been out of print since the 90s and early 2000s. There are two omnibi.......which are about $100 a piece now cause they are out of print. You can get them individually on comixology or buy them in singles via ebay or going to as many comic shops as possible but no real collection to buy sadly.

22. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    That's weird being that some Omnibus collections are on Comixology but not the TotJ Omnibus volumes

23. Kylun

Kylun Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2008
    I've got a Marvel Unlimited subscription, and I just checked: they're all available. TotJ, DLotS, Redemption, FotSE, FNU, GAotS, and TSW. As well as every other Dark Horse SW series, it looks like. Subscription is $10 a month, or $70 for a full year, if you want to check it out.

24. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    As you can tell from my username, I'm a big special forces nerd (Ever since RepCom.), and one major question has proved impossible to answer: Which branch of the Empire do Storm Commandos belong to? Shadow Troopers are apart of Intelligence, and Intelligence is the rival organization of the ISB; Since Storm Commandos are are separate from Shadow Troopers, this has me to believe Storm Commandos serve the ISB. Is this plausible? Which organization do you think Storm Commandos report to.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012