main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How did the prequels affect the post-RoTJ timeline?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by zchmrkenhoff, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    As I myself stated mass movements have begun sweeping up and around more often, they are more recent phenomena though.

And how is it my lense differs from my statements. As it is really human beings are reciting roles like actors on a stage playing parts because from the beginning of time until it's End God has ordained the course of history.

As for the prequels and late EU yes the upper echelons were the focus, and as it is history is made at the upper echelons. The masses intrude upon the stage every so once and awhile and in the past few hundred years have increasing asserted themselves yet as always elites remain as they were.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    What is it with you people that the concept is something that is not just missed but non-examples are cited in response?

In other words, what about them!?

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    You said that the OT wasn't admiral on admiral battles, but that it focused entirely on figther pilots. I simply countered that, with the upper class generals and admirals we do see in the OT, thus contradicting that point.

The PT had it's fair share of 'lower' class stories as well.

4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Anakin was a slave boy in the PT, Watto a junk dealer. The clones and droids certainly aren't the elite of galactic society, and I'd say the utapauns weren't a galactic powerhouse by any means.

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Really? What I remember so was one of the complains about the PT that it it turned all Jedi into nothing but lightsabre swingers.

How is that different from the PT?

6. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    #Borskwasright

Seriously, I would really like a Borsk-POV book. In a lot of cases he outright was on the moral high ground -- Leia threatening a coup comes to mind. Or in Jagged Fel's introduction, where Borsk and Pwoe point out that the Imperial pilot raised in a racist space cult promoting the ideals of a genocidal madman and a facist militarist probably isn't the best guy, and the main characters just shrug it off. Borsk in many ways was a natural reaction to a set of politics that has delegitimized non-humans.

Dr. Steve Brule and AusStig like this.
  7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Different kinds of "lightsaber swingers"; Pre-PT EU Jedi struck me as very European paladin champion style heroes. They'd go off on quests, and while they pursued paths of peace, they tended to act a bit less philosophical and more like, say, Knights of the Round Table, even to the extent of how easy it was for evil Knights to arise. It was an order in a bit more of the militaristic sense than in the monastic one. Bad books in that era tended to treat Jedi as blunt instruments, while bad books afterwards sometimes relied a bit too much on navel gazing. It was overall an improvement I think, but I do miss the jumpsuits over the robes.

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if Kreia's talk about the Jedi and Sith being indestructible "ideas" was inspired by the War on Terror that was frequently in the news at the time that KOTOR II was released.

9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Well in some sense they are so long as the force exists and the light and dark struggle against one another on a mystic level and mortal beings exist to embody that conflict.

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm not saying that sentiment is right or wrong. I'm just speculating as to what inspired Chris Avellone.

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I don't really see how that relates to the War on Terror, TBH.

12. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    The Prequels gave birth to the notion of a secular, well-organized Jedi Order. One with a leadership council and a significant role in galactic governance. Prior to that, the Jedi were usually represented as aloof mystics that wandered the Galaxy alone or in pairs. I personally prefer the Prequel idea of the Jedi. It makes them more of a serious force to be reckoned with. Luke's Yavin praxeum was attacked every couple years by Imperials because he was out at the fringes of the Galaxy with virtually no ciivilization around.

CoruscantDweller likes this.
  13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Well even in the 90s TOTJ stuff the Jedi are fighting Sith and mando invasions, and so on and so forth but otherwise I agree with you.

14. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

They are also very speciesist about it, "he is a Bothan, that's why he is pouncing on Ackbar" Really he is not just ambitious? I was honestly a bit disappointed that he wasn't 'better' by the end of the trilogy (also what did he do that was corrupt?)

Dr. Steve Brule and Vialco like this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The most overtly corrupt thing in TTT was attempting to get Rogue Squadron destroyed because "All who are not on my side are my enemies".

Thanks to Karrde and Leia ensuring that remark was heard across the whole task force, those military people who were mostly on Borsk's side, promptly rejected him.

16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Bothans are by their nature suspicious and Borsk being a politician in a somewhat fragile new government is fiercely suspicious, he's out for himself and his own interests, it may have been written over the top sometimes but anybody in politics will at least develop a modicum of that attitude if they want to keep their career.

17. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    An unfortunate side effect of the "Planet of Hats" trope, aka "all Bothans are spies". (And ok maybe "corrupt" wasn't the best choice of words since I can't remember him taking bribes or anything like that, but he was a little weasel was my point).

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  18. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

Yeah, that was something I found odd. I guess I am used to biowear (all alines are people even if we have different cultures) rather then the Star Trek/next Gen, this planet is like a part of our culture. I didn't mind it with Thrawan (cause all imperials are raciest lets be honest) but the heros doing it struck me as really bad "A Bothan wouldn't know what to do with a military coup if you gave him one". Just odd.

The worst thing you could say about him was that he was ambitious and self serving. So honestly a most realistic politician :(

JediBatman likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    With Borsk, I think he's all about the game of politics, but played with far greater latitude and less restrictions than everyone else signed up to. But, at the same time, while Borsk declares he wants to win by getting to the top, defeating his rivals, he also knows doing so means the game is over and he needs the game to continue. He's the kind of politician who would deliberately make new enemies just to keep it interesting.

One of the big rules for Borsk is Thou Shalt Not Be Caught and it happens to him twice - once in TTT and then Caamas.

In comparison, I think even Borsk would be appalled by Wartol.

PCCViking and vncredleader like this.
  20. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    EDIT: nevermind

21. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I wonder how typical Borsk really was. The other Bothans we've seen didn't tend to be nearly as conniving or sneaky. Of course, the others tended to be in the military, and thus wouldn't have the patience or desire to play politics like he did.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Or just did it in a different way possibly

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Not all Bothans?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Hug a bothan today!

AusStig likes this.
  25. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Or more, if you're Corran Horn.