main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Dear Diary Challenge 2017 | 11/30: 2018 Challenge Discussion Now Open

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Dec 3, 2016.

1. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    i'm hoping i can actually get caught up on some of the other diaries in the near future, but writing and other things must take precedent. why can't there be more time in the day? or not needing sleep... that'd be a nice thing.

Kahara likes this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Sounds like me last year. And theeen all those pretty diaries that looked promising in January and February just died. I think support means a lot to authors and if I can grasp the diary, I shall give it. But that's me, I'm hyperactive and us hyperactives don't think like normal people.

3. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    that's a really awesome thing to do EP. i'm going to try to do that. i'm about halfway through teenage rebellion right now, but i had to stop reading the other day. i have a few others open in tabs, just haven't been able to really look at them. >_<

Findswoman likes this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

I almost forgot to let you know that my previous entry contained a response to this mini-challenge.

Kahara likes this.
  5. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    i'm not going to be doing anything with that ATM i don't think, i've already gotten things written ahead a bit and i'm not entirely sure where i'd fit something like that in quite yet.

6. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    sorry for the double post, but been a few days and all...

so, how does everyone feel that their diaries are going? there been any difficulties or anything that you weren't expecting? ideas pop up and take you places you weren't expecting?

Kahara likes this.
  7. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2007
    This month’s discussion and mini-challenge are brought to you by Pandora.

---

Discussion: “Dear Diary: Today was the most embarrassing day of my life” (Part One of The Things We Don’t Talk About.)

There are many reasons for why a person might choose to keep a diary. But an important one oftentimes is that--given that a diary tends to be private document only its writer shall ever read-- it can be a place where they can write about the parts of themselves they do not, or even cannot, share with others: the bad, the ugly, the petty, and the stupid. We will go into the darker aspects of your characters in Part Two later on this year, but for this first part, we’ll start on a (somewhat) lighter note—with their Embarrassing Moments.

You know what I mean: those moments that make you cringe in memory, the ones that make your characters want to leap head-first into the first Sarlacc pit that crosses their path. The ones where they made stupid mistakes, where they didn’t come off looking at all good in front of any audiences. The ones you wish no one else knew of, which means that they do. Yes: those moments.

This month, I invite you to tell us what sort of embarrassing material your characters are sharing in their diaries. Before, of course, they go searching for that Sarlacc pit.

Mini-Challenge: “Mush”

As in romantic cuddly love. As in a bowl of hot cereal. As in a multi-player online game. As in a dramatic sled dog racing scene in the movie, where the musher takes their place in the sled and gives the starting command to the dogs: Mush!

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Hmmm. At this point, all of Doria's diary is embarrassing and more or less cringe-worthy; so in each entry, she could more or less list any day as the most embarrassing one of her life. Sixteen-year-olds tend to do that kind of stuff.

The other Doria's diary is more or less devoid of such moments, at least for now.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  9. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    for teafa, that's probably about to be the next entry i'm going to write... so yea, dunno if i'm wanting to spoil that here.

Kahara likes this.
  10. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Discussion: “Dear Diary: Today was the most embarrassing day of my life” (Part One of The Things We Don’t Talk About.)

Well, Linza is going to be helping the Shamans in the Vaults so she's going to be feeling like a fish out of water and be accidentally doing things/touching stuff she shouldn't and feeling embarrassed because she isn't used to the protocol and is only doing it because her Grandfather Hrolf was a Shaman so anything she reads down there she will have extra respect and knowledge about it (the Shamans and the Elders selected her because of her lineage).

David will have some people mock him for being afraid of a clump of trees and putting him down.

Kahara likes this.
  11. Volund Starfire

Volund Starfire Jedi Master star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    Excerpt from Alliance Intelligence Recruiting Division Interview
    Subject: Ander Sonalex, Defecting Imperial Pilot

Questioner: What was the most embarrassing day of your life?

Subject: I don’t really know how to answer that, sir. As a pilot, I kind of look only to the future and don’t dwell too much in the past. Embarrassment, bad days, and those kinds of things generally bring a person down and that’s not something I was trained to do. I guess it is Imperial Indoctrination, but it’s worked for me up until now.

I guess the most embarrassing thing would have to be this one time at the Academy. It wasn’t the Corellian Academy, but the Senior Academy on Lothal. I had just been assigned to the Flight Program and didn’t know anything about the new wing I was in. One of the more senior cadets decided to have some fun at my expense.

It was my first night and I was getting ready to hit the refresher for a shower. The problem is that I didn’t know where it was. Like I said before, I’m terrible with directions. She told me that it was actually one level up and that cadets had to use the stairwell rather than the turbolift to get there. Okay, whatever.

So, I took my refresher kit and headed one level up. I followed her directions as best I could and sure enough there was a refresher. I was the only one there, but that didn’t bug me. Most all of the other cadets were still studying flight principles and maintenance, two things I excelled at. So, I jumped in and started showering.

I heard the hatch behind me open and someone began their shower. Now, for the record, I’m not curious. Well, I was, but not like that. I was fourteen years old and had been cohabitating with females for two years. Hormones and all made me curious, but I had the discipline to keep my eyes front, if you know what I mean.

I’m finishing up my shower when the hatch opens a second time and I hear another of the heads turn on. I hear a female clear her throat, not like one of the girls in my class but an adult female, and then she asks “did you get lost, cadet?”

I turn around to see two females staring at me. The first is my Flight Instructor and the second is Commander Laceyon, the resident ace pilot at the Lothal Garrison. One paused in the middle of her shower and the other is just standing there with her arms crossed.

So, here I am. A fourteen year old cadet, buck naked in the shower with two fully mature women standing there. I snap to attention and stutter out that I was given bad directions when I realize that I’m facing two naked women. Suffice it to say, I snapped to attention a second time, if you catch my meaning.

Commander Laceyon just started laughing and looked over at my Training Instructor and told her not to be too hard on me, because I was hard enough as it was. This got the T.I. laughing. So, now I’m in a shower with two women laughing over something that I was growing more and more self-conscious about.

Commander Laceyon sobered up enough to look at me and tell me to get out of there before I turn any more red and melt through the floor to the reactor. I could still hear them laughing as I stood under the drying unit, giggling as I put my uniform on, and talking about what happened when I ran back to the barracks.

So, yeah, that was it. That was the most embarrassing thing to ever happen to me. Oh, and please stop giggling. It’s not any easier for me to tell it now as it was to experience it then.

Next question?

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  12. Volund Starfire

Volund Starfire Jedi Master star 1

Sep 5, 2012
  13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    [​IMG]

*ahem*

Hey, Pandora and Kahara - is it OK if I post my February entries in the NSWFF DDC tomorrow, since March 1st technically IS one month from January 29th? I want to give my usual betas time to ketchup and we've all been busy. :)

Kahara and Raissa Baiard like this.
  14. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Ewok Poet: I don't think that should be a problem.

(Also--since I have to acknowledge the Inigo Montoya quote in some fashion--is he by chance referring to mush?)

Lady_Misty, Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Yes.

Послато са SM-J500FN уз помоћ Тапатока

16. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Mush is generally romantic, not sexual. A funny read for sure, but I wouldn't label it mush. Just my two unasked for cents.

My character is a teenager so every day of his life involves some level of embarrassment. He's going to be relocating to Coruscant for a while soon, so being a AgriCorp Jedi at the temple will be a source of embarrassment too. But he will deal with it.

17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Same here. Plus, in real life, that kind of stuff is considered harassment. And we're a community dominated by women, so some things that appear in stories written by men from time to time - reduction of us to some sort of bums to be slapped, bodies to be ogled etc, without any substance...just feels uncomfortable.

That, and we read each other and support each other. While fiction IS often a way to fulfill own fantasies, it's nothing without a community of fellow writers and readers who are the best possible soundboard and who can help a writer improve. :)

That was my whole unasked for dollar. :)

18. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    heck, mush can have to do with a father/daughter, mother/son, brother/sister or just straight friends kind of relationship, doesn't have to have anything to do with romance. i've always considered it something that was exceedingly cute/sweet, not necessarily romantic even... though that is often where that kind of thing goes. but i'd consider most of the scenes in the pro-fic books between allana and han solo to be mushy.

Lady_Misty, Kahara, Tarsier and 3 others like this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Then again, there was a story labelled mush once that involved killing a living creature. Can't remember who wrote it, but I expected mush and I got a nightmare scene. :p

20. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    True. "Mush," to me, implies tenderness and loving feelings. I guess as someone who writes primarily romance, I equate it with a romantic setting. But tender feelings can occur between anyone. Sex is not mush, though, although mush can lead there.

Aaaand now the thread is derailed.

21. Diary_Challenge_Sock

Diary_Challenge_Sock Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2007
    March 2017 - Discussion and Mini-Challenge

New discussion and mini-challenge for the month of March, have fun! :) Provided by Kahara.

Discussion: Technology

What is your character's relationship with technology like? Did they grow up with high or low tech surroundings, or somewhere in-between?

Like most of us, these characters may not think very much about most of the things they use in daily life. On the other hand, they may have some special technological expertise that they spend a lot of time using. They might even make their living by it.

How do they feel about the technology (or lack thereof) that they have to work with in daily life? Are they more comfortable with some kinds of technology than others? If so, is this due to their culture, experiences, or just personal preference?

Mini-Challenge: Allergies

It's getting to be that time of year again for many of us -- sneeze season! Include something involving an allergy in your diary entry. Food allergy, seasonal allergy, metaphorical allergy to something that annoys them -- any or all of the above. ;)

Findswoman and mavjade like this.
  22. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUSLY READING MY UNPOSTED DIARY ENTRIES? Because I already have an entry written for later this month that deals explicitly with an allergic reaction. This is just creepy.

Anyways.

With regards to the discussion topic of technology, my characters really represent the first "Generation X" occupants of the White House, so while I haven't explicitly dealt with this (though I did have an idea about an entry about Twitter since my diary takes place in the real world right around the time Twitter first came onto the scene and just after Facebook got really big - though I'm not sure I'll be able to fit it in) I think my characters are more technologically savvy than their predecessors.

Volund Starfire, Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

FOR MY SW DDC:

Doria Vorr did not have much choice. She was forced to study in the technology field because her father, the late Comrade Elesandre Vorr, was an engineer at AARIS, Agricultural Appliances Research Institute of Saccorata (yeah, agricultural...RIIIIGHT). After she graduated from basic school, she was sent to FAIS, First Agricultural Institute of Saccorata. At the end of her schooling there, which will also tie my DDC to an epic I've had going on for more than two years now, she will be an agricultural technician. Basically, she is expected to deal with machines, though her interests are different - writing, drawing croquis and comic-y stuff, as well as ecology, fish in particular.

Elesandre Vorr had some stupid rules in place at the household. He believed that his daughter should not drive a speeder and nothing bigger than a Saygo Light Speeder. He didn't allow her to build a droid to help with the chores and he thought that they did not need a housekeeping one, either. He wanted Doria to learn everything the hard way, to the point of climbing to the 17th floor on foot for months.

Comradette Maris Inesedam Vorr, Doria's mother, had no say in all this, being a Sacorrian Human woman.

Doria's friend Gredda and her aunt, Duchess Branna of R'vanye, flip back and forth when it comes to this - Gredda is a supervisor at AARIS and Branna is a gemmologist,

Doria will be able to pursue her real interests in future, hopefully, once she meets somebody who just said "kriff all" to expectations. And he will also turn to be an interest of hers and OMG I DIDN'T REALLY SAY THIS AT ALL, IGNORE IT.

Doria will also be supported by her fellow Resting Duros Face friend who was kind of ignored in favour of her prettier and supposedly smarter siblings once she makes her choice. There's her great aunt Sister Larax Antilless as well and a friend who could have been her father...and then comes a blast from the past, which will tie everything together.

FOR MY NSWFF DDC:

Doria D'Angelo's relationship with technology is average for somebody in 2016. She is not a web professional, an engineer or anything, but she knows the basics of things. She knows that one doesn't need www for most URLs and so on.

Will insert this in both DDCs, but it won't be the protagonist who has it in the SW one. Not sure about the other...yet. :D

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  24. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Discussion: Technology:

Well Linza lives on a world where the inhabitants use basic technology and most people would probably freak out if they saw any kind of recording or broadcast via hologram and might get a Shaman to free the spirit(s) "trapped" inside.

David on the other hand is very familiar with technology and very comfortable with it.

Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Discussion:

Young Leo lives in 2020, so things are slightly more advanced than they are now, but probably not by much. He's 10 years old, so he knows a lot about technology, certainly more than his dad who is practically a technophobe (thankfully, his mom is not). His parents make pretty decent money, so he probably has all the latest technology that a ten year old can have. His mom (and dad, though he'd never admit it) don't want him to be stuck in tech land all the time, so there are limits and rules to how and when he can use that technology.

Older Leo lives in 2050, so technology is more advanced than we are now, but his writer is terrible about predicting future tech so who knows what it is. Leo still keeps up with technology, he's not that old despite what his children think, but due to the nature of his job he really isn't allowed to access much of it for security reasons.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.