main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    When do we hear it in RotE?

Darth Sophis likes this.
  2. Darth Sophis

Darth Sophis Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 5, 2016
    It is the very scene when he drains all of Ziost, the first one where the melody is heard. As I've gone over the music tracks, I realised about two dozen in the following expansions were using the same motifs, or directly parallelling it but in a different style.

As a lover of multiple iterations of good melodies, I find the repeated use of a motif great. It creates another common thread which runs throughout a character's story. Vaylin has something similar going for her melody-wise, though with about a third of the number of tracks themed for Valkorion.

Darkslayer likes this.
  3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    He'll always be Vitiate to me :p

Darth Sophis likes this.
  4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    That was what had attracted my attention.

Jadus went to seclusion (if you help him) after you get some "secret order" to him from Emperor's guards on Hoth. He later sends his pawns to ask for Star Cabal's codex in the end of the class story(remember SCORPIO had worked as the warden for over a century). Even in RotH, where the Emperor had been defeated and his plan to devour everything had failed, he was still in seclusion when you ask Marr about it.

But when KotFE had come out, when Zakuul had defeated both sides and the empire fall into inner conflict, resulting most of the Dark Council member's death/disappearance, when SCORPIO and her kind had played a big role in the story, it suddenly made a lot of sense. Jadus might be the only one who knew about the Emperor's Zakuul identity, so he went to seclusion to avoid conflict, then wait for his chance to claim everything. He also might know about SCORPIO's background through Star Cabal.

This is why I wonder was Jadus involved in the KotFE and KotET story.

RafSwi7 likes this.
  5. Darth Sophis

Apr 5, 2016
    Yep! He was beyond being tied to any name or face, but we did learn that Valkorion was his own person before being possessed, so Vitiate would be a truer name...or title, which describes his mode of operation well.

In case anyone is wondering what theme I meant, here are a few examples (there are many more):

Ziost consumption, no pure music on YouTube (first minute)

The throne room in KotFE Chapter 1, second time it is heard since Ziost

A more strident/playful version from Chapter 12, when he mock-duels you on Odessen

Eternal Throne dream sequence during the ending of KoTET

...Just in case anyone has not spent days' worth of time contemplating every scrap of the character's presentation in the game. Y'know.

RafSwi7 likes this.
  6. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    I think this one is my favourite theme from KoTET:

7. Darth Sophis

Apr 5, 2016
    A beautiful one, indeed. It accounts for five variations on its own and is distinct, while clearly hearkening back to the general theme - notably the middle part has four of those ominous peaking notes as opposed to the ordinary three. A somewhat melancholy track that keeps an underscore of menace.

The wordless vocal version just before you took the throne set a tone of foreshadowing that made it seem like the Outlander was walking to their execution instead of triumph. I was reminded of the Iliad among other classics where inevitable fate is used to depict tragedy, and here we have the character with no path but onto the throne, expecting a setup but having no other choice because the fleet will scorch the whole galaxy otherwise. I wonder if that was a programming feature Valkorion deliberately left in.

But the real tragedy turned out to be the Emperor's own, who finally got burned playing with another focal point of destiny after surviving for over 1400 years - given that his stated goal was to never die, be beyond all threats and able to experience all facets of existence indefinitely. Sorry, waxing lyrical.

RafSwi7 likes this.
  8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Well, his Zakuul body still ages, so he never actually reached physical immortality, just extended his hosts' lifespan a bit longer.

Darth Sophis likes this.
  9. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Maybe Jadus also wanted to pull a new invasion of his own after Vitiate got killed and weakened the whole galaxy with his wars.

10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I didn't notice but I remember someone brought it up, not sure was it fact or not.

Some evidence showed that the Empire had already tried to infiltrate Star Cabal's database on Belsavis before they attracted the attention of the Intelligence.

Maybe some of the Dark Council members had already discovered the secrets of Lokath.

11. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    I don't know about the others, but honestly I would like it more to see Jadus (and not Malgus) to return as the main villain. I always felt that the latter succeeded and "reformed" the Sith Empire.

Since you have mentioned multiple iterations of some melodies... I have been listening to "the Forged Alliances" and "the Shadow of Revan" soundtracks recently and I was surprised to hear many versions of KoTOR theme. I don't remember hearing most of them during my playthroughs. I think my favourite versions were the version from Revan's arrival during Rakata Prime Flashpoint (prominent brass instruments) and the "ethernal" version from the Temple of Sacrifice Operation (extremely slowed down KoTOR theme).

On the side not I have found "clean" version of this track and shortened and clean version from the beggining of this track.

Wonder if any of them is still alive apart from Vowrawn.

I was under the impression that his original black-eyed pureblood body was "immortal" and hasn't aged.

Darth Sophis likes this.
  12. DarthKuriboh

DarthKuriboh Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2007
    I'm guessing I should start playing SWTOR again. Haven't played since I lost my membership cuz I lost access to most of my characters. Sounds like its fun after Rise of hte hutt cartel

13. Zohar

Zohar Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    Anyone knows if there are plans to do an updated Old Republic Encyclopedia now that The Eternal Empire plotline wrapped up?

DarthJaceus and Darth Sophis like this.
  14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    How much does the Star Cabal know about Lokath? I think they must have some ideas.

15. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011

As far as I am aware, there is no answer for this question.

I doubt that they had real knowledge about Iokath. SCORPIO had no idea about it until she plugged herself into the Gravestone.

16. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    Since it has been some time, what are your general thoughts about KotFE and KotET expansions?

What you liked better - KotFE or KotET?
    • KotET. Both expansions were extremely cinematic and ambitious (story wise and aesthetically) but I feel that KotET has learned from the shortcomings of its predecessor.
    What chapter/chapters you liked the most from the Knights of the Fallen Empire?
    • Chapter 2: Dream of Empire - The first true glimpse to Vitiate's new persona. The intriguing introduction of our new adversaries
    • Chapter 12: Vision in the Dark - Ahh, force mysteries! Good change of pacing after the constant hunt for our character in previous chapters.
    What chapter/chapters you liked the least from the Knights of the Fallen Empire?
    • Chapter 10: Anarchy in Paradise - Skytroopers everywhere with no option to avoid them!
    • Chapter 14: Mandalore's Revenge - The chapter was not terrible at all, but one thing was extremely disappointing for me. It never felt like a real battle, just some kind of skirmish which was IMHO a missed opportunity in the chapter which deals with the Mandalorians. With Shae as pre-order companion I doubt that we will see big Mando battle in the near future.
    What is your favourite new and reintroduced character from the Knights of the Fallen Empire?
    • New: Senya (runner-up: Arcann) - Like our characters, she also had her own mission and her own character arc.
    • Reintroduced: Valkorion (runner-up: Lana Beniko) - The truly great twist on character which in my humble opinion made him one of the most interesting Star Wars villains. Great new voice actor!
    What KotFE did right?
    • Five year gap and the new enemy - Basically the new reality you are thrown into, which pushed the story forward like never before. It also helped to escape from aesthetics (which have looked too much just like in the movies).
    • Cinematic story - New animations, camera angles made new storyline visually spectacular.
    What KotFE did wrong?
    • Vaylin - For the most of the time her character felt lacking and one-dimensional. Thankfully BioWare made it right in KotET.
    • "Alert" missions - They have taken some of my favourite companions and never reintroduced them the to the main story. Some missions are also extremely grindy.
    What chapter/chapters you liked the most from the Knights of the Eternal Throne?
    • Chapter 7: Into the Void - Since the Revan novel I always wanted to visit Nathema. I was also happy with inclusion of Dramath into our story.
    • Chapter 9: The Eternal Throne - Fantastic final battle against Valkorion. Phenomenal scenery.
    What chapter/chapters you liked the least from the Knights of the Eternal Throne?
    • Chapter 6: The Dragon's Maw - Good idea, but too much backtracking and running in circles for my taste.
    • Chapter 8: End Times - The second walker segment was a little too much. I also felt that the final battle against Vaylin was not as epic as I hoped.
    What is your favourite new and reintoduced character from the Knights of the Eternal Throne?
    • New: There weren't really any "big" new characters to choose from.
    • Reintroduced: Vaylin (runner-up: Empress Acina) - I love that they actually gave a reason behind her insanity. They even made me pity her. Her voice actress did a stellar job in this expansion.
    What KotET did right?
    • Cinematic story - The story in KotET is even more cinematic than the story from its predecessor. It also had greater emphasis on characters which allowed to develop some characers better. Loved all "show, don't tell" moments in the story.
    • New mechanics - Walker and remote droid "segments" made chapters refreshing but BioWare must remember to not overdo it.
    • Pacing - This time battles felt like battles. Chapters 1 and 8 never felt static and raised the bar for future "action" segments of the game.
    What KotET did wrong?
    • Missing characters, wasted opportunities - the lack of Emperor related characters (Scourge, Revan and Kira) in the final story of the Emperor.

17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    • KotET. Agree with you
    • Chapter 2: Dream of Empire - I Agree with you
    What chapter/chapters you liked the least from the Knights of the Fallen Empire?
    • Chapter 9: I don't like to to get beaten that much.
    • Chapter 12: I don't like the characterization of Marr and Satele, and I hate the idea they were giving me.
    • Chapter 16: They stole my kill.
    What is your favourite new and reintroduced character from the Knights of the Fallen Empire?
    • New: Vaylin. I found her very interesting and she got a reason to be crazy, but her ending was too weak, I would prefer to redeem her than Arcann.
    • Reintroduced: Lana, nothing needs to be said.
    What KotFE did right?
    • Focus on the Story again, good
    • Cinematic.
    • Lana
    What KotFE did wrong?
    • We don't get to decide others' fate, it feels like our character is not leading the story.
    • The "soft reboot", it cut off many stories that got potential.
    • The conflict is no longer about the Republic and the Empire.
    • Weak Leading villain, I don't find Arcann interesting and I don't want to fight him since his father was the real threat.
    • The romance lock was extremely stupid
    What chapter/chapters you liked the most from the Knights of the Eternal Throne?
    • Chapter 7: Into the Void - Nathema
    • Chapter 9: The Eternal Throne - As a finale it was quite good.
    What chapter/chapters you liked the least from the Knights of the Eternal Throne?
    • Chapter 8: It was a bit too long and I didn't really want to kill Vaylin
    What is your favourite new and reintoduced character from the Knights of the Eternal Throne?
    • New: The droid on Loakth.
    • Reintroduced: Acina
    What KotET did right?
    We got to lead the story and decide others' fate again, there actually is a proper ending.

What KotET did wrong?

The finale could have been better and connect to Vitiate's previous stories, they should let Revan appear at least.
    The whitewash of Arcann, it doesn't feel right
    Vaylin's ending was not nice, I would pick her over Arcann

RafSwi7 likes this.
  18. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    • KotET, it is a better expansion.

• Chapter 2: Dream of Empire - It was a good use of world building (what happened to the galaxy) and our/our enemies mind

• Chapter 10: Anarchy in Paradise - Kaylo is boring and listening to her whine for a mission made me want to stop playing. Also game play was dull
    • Final Chapter - was a major disapointment, with no real ending and no choices mattering

• New: Koth, for lack of better options, Seyna was until she got pissed at me for leaving a singer to die. Honestly all of Zakull sucks and should be thrown into a black hole.
    • Reintroduced: Valkorion, very fun twist on what was a generic villian. Great voice acting and just a well written character, honestly he was the best thing about the expansion.
    What KotFE did right?
    • Cinematic story - Made it feel more like we were playing a Star Wars movie.
    What KotFE did wrong?

• Zakull - Looked good, had good motivation. But was just dumb leaders, honestly very boring to fight and there was too much about it.

• Chapter 2: Run for the Shadows - Was really great to see how the Empire had changed, would have liked to see more and also see the Republic.
    • Chapter 7: Into the void - the ending was great and tied very well into established media.
    • Chapter 4/5: where dreams die/ ascension - That planet was dull, dead and boring.
    • Reintroduced: Empress Acina - It was very good to see a Sith ruler, who was sane and good at their job
    What KotET did right?
    • Choices - the felt better and like they matter more
    • Battles/fights - These were good, in the battles I felt like I was part of a large war, while the boss battles where (on the whole) nice built wit good challenges
    What KotET did wrong?

• Missing characters, wasted opportunities - the lack of Emperor related characters (Scourge, Revan and Kira) in the final story of the Emperor. (I agree with you completely and could not have said it better)
    • Also making Arcann goodish, the guy had entire planets slaged and enslaved the galaxy he is evil, it doesn't matter that daddy didn't love him, his choices were his alone and he should die for them

RafSwi7 likes this.
  19. Kyle K

Kyle K Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 5, 2017
    What is the date to watch a trailer about War on Iokath?

When do you think next update 5.3 5.4 and 5.5 with 3 more bosses Will be released?

What is the next companions to return in 5.3?
    Will it be on Iokath or maybe Nathema?

About the story so far with Kotfe and Kotet
    I miss Scorpio. She will return as à new droid.
    I do also want Vaylin back for Senya.

What about the Dark thing who is hidden in the Gravestone that belongs to Vitiate/Valkorion?
    There are some eggs inside it. Where did he get it from?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  20. Counter

Counter Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 3, 2017
    • KotET

• Chapter 6: Asylum - Loved the entire setting on Asylum and meeting Koth's insane crew.
    • Chapter 13: Profit and Plunder - It was great finally getting off Odessen and Zakuul to the new world of Vandin. Sadly--we can't go back to Vandin, but I loved the world, the voice acting, and Vette/Gault's scoundrel team up. Fun chapter all around.
    • Chapter 14: Mandalore's Revenge - A return to Darvannis. Shae Vizla. Torian Cadera. Mandalorians vs. Zakuul. Yes please!

• Chapter 10: Anarchy in Paradise - Kaliyo was unimpressive in her new character arc and I hated the actual gameplay. Also nothing ever came of the Overwatch in later chapters.

• New: Heskal. He was just crazy enough to be fun and interesting and unique. I also loved the weird pink lightsabers of the Scions.
    • Reintroduced: Lana Beniko. She's an excellent character all around and arguably has the best character arc of anyone in the game.
    What KotFE did right?
    • Cinematic story - Really enjoyed the storytelling shift. Good stuff.
    • Companion collecting - I loved the hodge podge way you can recruit companions from all classes into your alliance and shape your alliance however you see fit. And the ability to kill some off (i.e. Vik Tanno, Xalek, etc.) was also welcome.
    What KotFE did wrong?
    • Lack of Republic/Sith Empire Backstory - It would've been nice and I think would have helped the overall content to have had periodic updates on what was happening in the galaxy at large and within your various factions. The lack of that made the expansion feel disconnected at times.
    • Chapter 1: Wrath and Ruin - Seeing the Eternal Empire invade and burn Voss was amazing and a great way to start the expansion. Loved the storytelling and content here.
    • Chapter 7: Into the Void - FINALLY! Nathema. And they included Dramath. 10/10 and an awesome way to bring Vitiate/Valkorion full circle.
    • Chapter 3: Dark Reunions - Gravestone. Meh.
    • New: Lord Dramath for the win.
    • Reintroduced: Empress Acina was awesome. Stellar to see her have a leading role in the story even if I have a Republic bias.
    What KotET did right?
    • Choices - Decisions actually mattered.
    • Lore - Excellent job bringing Vitiate's story to a conclusion. I was skeptical, but they pulled it off.
    • Uprisings - I love these new mini-flashpoints.
    What KotET did wrong?
    • Missing Characters - We needed a Kira, Scourge, Revan reapparance. Agree with two previous posters.
    • Lack of New Multiplayer Content - I like Uprisings, but a new PvP warzone would have been welcome as well.

RafSwi7 likes this.
  21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    See also: leitmotif?

22. Darth Sophis

Apr 5, 2016
    That was the term! Grazie. :p

23. Kyle K

Kyle K Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 5, 2017
    What kind of returning companions do you want to see next in 5.3?

I think it might be Lord Scourge with Jadus or Malgus.
    Do you think Raina Temple can work with Jadus?

Where do you think the next big boss will be? Belsavis?

24. Counter

Counter Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 3, 2017
    Assuming BioWare can pick up steam for 5.3 (honestly--they're not inspiring tons of confidence right now with a lot of the player base), I think we'll see a return to Republic vs. Sith in some form. I hope that means new worlds, new potential class content, new PvP warzones, and a new playable race (i.e. Bothans please!).

As far as companions go...not sure. I'd personally like to see Kira, Nadia Grell, Mako, Corso, and Ashara back in action in some way shape or form.

Honestly, I'd love for Lord Scourge to return as the new head honcho bad guy alongside Malgus.

But this gets to a larger point...they need to introduce a new bevy of NPC's to fill out the ranks of the various factions. The Jedi need new leadership with Satele in self-imposed exile. The Sith Empire needs new leadership with everyone dead or possibly dead (bye bye Acina). The Republic needs new leadership with Saresh out and Malcom potentially dead.

They're either boxing themselves in story-wise because the game is slowly winding down and they're tying up loose ends...or because they're planning some sort of story reboot.

Darkslayer and RafSwi7 like this.
  25. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I would like to see the first Jedi supreme chancellor.