main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story Star Trek Medical mayhem, prompt challenge

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by earlybird-obi-wan, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh] That was an entirely fun use of the prompt. :p :oops:

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    and after the fun a more serious one with

In passing

“Nick what happened?”

“No good for nothing kriffing Starfleet mayhem happened,” Nick sat down at the table burying his head in his hands.

“I saw you putting your diary down after you pager began to beep,” Teri sat down next to her husband and put a consoling arm around his shoulders. “You went to the hospital and something bad happened?”

“Yeah, I made a beeline to the director’s office and there Ron was fuming like a mad rancor throwing every kind of verbal bantha poodoo at the message still visible on his vid-screen. He should have left the transmission open. Starfleet could have guessed that I would be mad as hell at them too for delivering that message through snail-space. Not that it would have mattered. Even hyperspace would have been poodoo. Russia is on a different time-zone. Yes Teri my friend Pavel Andreievich Chekov succumbed yesterday to injuries. An accident happened when he was working with Hikaru Sulu and a crew on the navigation controls. His family asked for burial according to local tradition in the family property.” He began to cry softly before continuing “Jim, McCoy, Scotty, Sulu, Spock and Nyota were there. They accompanied him on the transport to the Chekov farm. And Starfleet only began to put out messages in snail-space to his friends after the transport had left. A great friend passed away.”

“He will know you all wanted to be there,” Teri whispered in Nick’s ear “He will hear” and she paused before helping Nick to stand “dos vedanya Pavel.”

“Dos vedanya Pavel,” Nick voiced, feeling the support from his wife. “Godspeed to wherever you go.”

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Gorgeous and moving! use of the prompt. [:D] [:D]

4. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    A very poignant use of the prompt. :( =D=

5. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    and now some fun

Vigilant

Nick shook his head. No he didn’t trust those transporters at all. He had never done that. And now at Kyle’s and Isabeau’s place he heard Janice Rand doing a lot of tech-talk about the new transporter that was to be installed on the Enterprise.

“I hope that the dual-router will give me more control,” Janice placed her empty glass down on the table and in doing so she saw Nick’s face showing the dislike. She began to laugh and continued “Nick I was ever vigilant with the transporter you had to use and in all my years on the Enterprise I had…”

“Never an accident happening,” Nick interrupted. “But I used the atom-scrambler only if there was no other way to go to the aid of a patient.”

“You and McCoy were the same,” Janice smiled. “I have shown the new design to admiral Kirk and he loves it. Those hazel eyes were gleaming when he saw what I could do with the pattern-enhancer and the ils-sequencer regulating the heli…”

“And Jim does understand that,” Nick shook his head.

“I am sure he does,” Isabeau laughed “and if not he has Audrey explaining more and…”

“Keeping him earth-bound,” Nick nodded.

“He will come when the need is high,” Janice said.

“But his love is Audrey. And she will allow him to go,” Isabeau nodded vigorously but began to sniff and stood up when she saw a grinning Kyle poking his head around the kitchen-door. “Dinner isn’t ready,” she shrugged with her shoulders.

“We have this,” Kyle came into the living-room with two packages and a can of steaming hot water.

“Kyle, ever vigilant, watching the potatoes burning to a crisp,” Nick burst out in laughter. “Now we will have to do with those MRE’s.”

“Not those,” Isabeau hurried to the kitchen. “I will see what I can save and…”

“I will help,” Janice hurried after Isabeau. “I can contact Scotty and see if he can beam down something delicious.”

“And I like to hear more about the transporter,” Isabeau closed the door of the kitchen.

“No more tech-talk for us or a meal scrambled to something gooey,” Kyle tossed a package to Nick and began to open his after putting the can on the table “but isn’t haggish always that way?”

“Yes,” Nick opened his package and poured some water in it “hmm beef-stew with beans and onions.”

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Flex
    “This is ridiculous!” Isabeau tossed her bag in a corner.

“What’s ridiculous?” Kyle looked up.

“I heard Jim Kirk complaining about the new rules at headquarters,” Isabeau settled down on the couch. “He is supposed to clean his desk every time he leaves it for more than one hour. Another can use the desk that way. Flex is the new topic and when I told my boss about those rules, he said that they will be implemented too. I have a nice desk with a view and now I will have to…”

“Hurry to get there or,” Kyle started to smile with mischief showing on his face. “Move to a new desk every hour and use a lot of time to get your things ready. You will see. Flex will be gone from the office at warp nine.”

AzureAngel2 and Sith-I-5 like this.
  7. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Vigilant - [face_laugh][face_laugh] The haggish line at the end there was what really got me. Great fun.

Flex - Yikes, I don't know if I'd care for that system either! I like that they're planning for its short shelf-life. :p

8. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Not in real life[face_bleh]

Know thy enemy
    “Know thy enemy,” Nick Roberts guided his medical students past one of the doors towards their destination. “You know what will happen when you…”

Swwwttt

“Don’t pay attention to the tiniest movement doctor Roberts.”

“Julia,” Nick shook his head sending water every which way after he had been doused by the nurse.

“And that from our instructor.”

“He is getting old Ben.”

“Nah, just a bit slow but that’s to be expected with his bad foot.”

“And he is using old words. I heard those from my little sister. She is studying Old English literature.”

Swwwtttt

“Know thy enemy,” Nick had managed to grab the squeeze-bottle and used that to douse the two students.

“And beware,” the two students replied in unison.

9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I liked the Flex one. I very much dislike clean desk policies. The makings of a good idea from Kyle.

I shall put being an occasional visitor, as the reason why Know thy enemy did not work for me.

10. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh] As always, the fun and playful hijinks of this group is just the best. An excellent response to the prompt. =D=

11. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    More fun in the next one

Noisome
    “You know what happens after hell-week,” Kyle shouted to the man limping before him. He had just managed to avoid a very happy looking BUD/S trainee who had heard moments ago that he was secure. Like the other fourteen trainees he was smelly and was removing his white shirt.

“I kn…,” Nick Roberts started when he felt the smelly shirt landing on his head. He tried to hold his breath when he removed the noisome shirt. Hell-week, starting on sunday-night just after one thirty had the shirt becoming marinated in sweat, seawater, more sweat, seawater and vomit and of course the ever present sand and mud. “And beware Kyle. You are just like me, limping and not able to outrun them.”

“I know,” Kyle began when a shirt landed on his back. “And for them it’s the fun, being able to get even with their instructors. We have to endure the noisome shirts.”

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  12. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Ahh, the return of hell-week! As always the comradery with the training - even when its grueling - is fantastic to read. :p

13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    something serious next

Fight or flight

“Fight or flight, there was no other option,” Kyle was pointing at the screen showing carnage. It was an old picture – very old – depicting a battle somewhere in the middle-east. “Those men not wanting to join the extremists had to pick up a weapon to defend their homes and family.”

“That sure is old instructor,” a trainee replied.

“It was and it happened after the devastating attack by extremists and the information leading to an invasion in this country. The USA began a prolonged fight to bring democracy,” Kyle brought up another old picture. “This one is of one of the snipers deployed by the SEALs. He managed to save many soldiers and civilians and…”

“Instructor Crisson,” Nick Roberts poked his head around the door. “Trainees, it’s fight or flight during the next evolution. Get wet and sandy now.”

Kyle could suppress a smile when he saw the 18 trainees turning as one headed out of the door and rushing past his friend Nick. He followed Nick to the beach. Fun was waiting for them and the trainees.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  14. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    A good lesson to learn from the past for the trainees now. :) =D= Another great use of the prompt!

15. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I am back after the move to my new home with this

Gold
    The setting sun was casting orange and golden rays on the sea.

Nick – briefly looking outside towards that view – turned his head to what was in his left hand.
    He was sitting in his bedroom holding the very old insignia and reaching with his right hand to the faint scar on his chest. A big smile appeared on his face.
    He had earned it after being accepted in the team. The admiral pinning it on his uniform had been the first and the mates had followed, punching the golden trident into his skin.

He had done it today when one of the trainees had become a fully fledged SEAL. Kyle Crisson had been next, followed by the team.
    The former trainee had been jubilant. The trident on his chest had been shining like gold when it caught the rays of the sun.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    It's always wonderful to see you posting these, earlybird! And this one is no exception - the imagery of the sunlight and the gold of the pin was just beautiful. As was the memory. At least that is one scar that brings fondness in its wake. [face_love] :p

17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Thank you and the next one was fun

Interpretation

“Hmpfh,” Kyle Crisson huffed.

“What’s hmpfh?” Nick Roberts sat down on the sand watching the trainees taking their meals, sitting in the surf that was now – for the first time this week – gentle and not as cold as usual.

“We are carbon life-forms,” Kyle accented. “Carbon hmpfh. And we were to be exterminated by some tin can nitwit worked over by some tin can metal not-life-form.”

“Ah you have seen the news about the lost probe,” Nick had a small smile on his face. “The return of Voyager had our friend McCoy letting his atoms being scrambled and snatched to the new untried Enterprise by his friend Jim who had some arguments with admiral Nogura to take command over the Enterprise on a mission to see what was wrong with a space-station. Some Klingon warships got snatched too by the enhanced probe and…”

“Enhanced,” Kyle muttered. “It got it all wrong thanks to those tin cans. We are more than just carbon. We have oxygen, hydrogen and …”

“Sand,” Nick tossed his empty meal-bag towards his friend and stood up. “We have work to do. They are ready to get sandy again.” And with that said he walked towards the trainees.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  18. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Definitely open to interpretation, then. [face_laugh] I liked the your use of the prompt here! :p =D=

19. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    And the next is a sequel

Sucker punch

“Hey!”

Kyle Crisson looked over his shoulder to see one trainee doubled over and toppling down in the surf and another trainee – nose in the air – walking towards a dune where more trainees were resting after the training. He made a bee-line towards the downed trainee and reached with his left hand to grab the trainee by his shirt and helped him to stand.

“Than k s p ghhh,” The trainee tried and wrapped his hands around his abdomen. He gagged and spit out some water.

“What’s that?” Nick Roberts – alerted by noise at the surf – rushed as fast as he could limp back to the surf and his colleague and friend. He reached for a package secured in his rucksack. He discarded the wrapper and started to unfold it.

“I will deal with him later,” Kyle accepted the thermal blanket from Nick. “You are going to be alright Tim.”

“Bu bil Billy doesn’t seem to like me,” the trainee managed after a few wheezing breaths and regained his composure after the thermal blanket had him more comfortable. “I never saw it coming. I never had words with Billy.”

“Come Tim,” Nick had his right hand on the shoulder of the trainee. “I have to examine you.”

“And I will have some words with Billy,” Kyle headed to the group.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  20. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Ouch! Yeah, it definitely seems that Billy has some words coming his way!

A very nice use of the prompt, once again! :)

21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    And this is some fun for McCoy and Nick

Ignition

“And Spock was talking about ignition and dilithium crystals and more technical mumbo jumbo when Uhura interrupted him and told him to stay quiet and let me do the work. And it worked.”

“You are the miracle worker,” Nick laughed – seeing his friend in the medbay of the Enterprise, clad in the usual blue scrubs “and you could keep him there?”

“No, not at all. Nyota told me in very clear words – supported by of course that green eared hobgoblin – that their cabin was more suited for a speedy recovery. And…”

Nick saw the gleaming eyes and said “Ny is sure to ignite those green cells Spock calls blood to help him with that.”

“Definitely and that’s why I agreed to let him go. How’s your work Nick?”

“The usual,” Nick replied “trainees igniting all kinds of responses from us instructors. See you and here is Jessy with some questions.”

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  22. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh] Yep, a much speedier recovery that way. [face_mischief]

Another fun response to the prompt! =D=

23. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    You are right, earlybird-obi-wan, this is fun, too, but these days I have very little reading time.

My life had been upside down the past months, due to some havoc at work. (Havoc NOT caused by my colleagues or the children, by the way.) So when I am able to summon up some energy to read and perhaps even to write my own silly, useless fan fic stuff, I focus on the SW fiction.

I like Star Trek a lot, but I cannot promise you that I will be able to follow this thread here with the full attention it deserves. But I can see that you have loyal readers like Mira_Jade and Sith-I-5.

As for WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, I miss her, too.

Anyway, I like your quirky humour and your ability to compose short stories.

24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    It's continued in the next one
    another short one

Absence
    “And?”

Jessy was still talking to McCoy when she saw her father coming into the room with a glass of water. She waited for him to settle it on her desk and pointed towards McCoy “he gave some nice advice for my paper about what a long mission is doing to people. He was telling about Jim and Audrey and had lots to tell about Nyota and Spock too.”

“Ah that was about him being injured during that dilithium episode,” Nick saw the stats still on the desk of McCoy.

“Yeah that but more about Nyota missing her friends here on earth,” Jessy saw McCoy giving a thoughtful wink with his left eye. “Nyota is feeling the long absence from her family the most. And that has me with a lot of questions answered for my paper.”

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  25. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I love nice and short. This seems to be very easy for you. Like breathing really.

earlybird-obi-wan likes this.