main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Padmé Amidala MEGAthread - Don't look at her that way. It makes her uncomfortable

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Ganesh Ujwal, Dec 31, 2014.

1. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I don't think it's really necessary to try to explain Padme's death scientifically. Star Wars is, at least in part, a legend--a fairy tale. And people die from broken hearts all the time in those sorts of stories.

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    So is the actress Natalie Portman still hostile to the movies and Lucas in particular?

3. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Yes, but its still a bad way to treat her character.

Darth Invictus http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/22/natal...out-not-being-in-star-wars-episode-7-4314228/

4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    So I guess she is?

5. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    um... yeah that article is total proof. GL killed her character!

thankfully no one on the list of actors who might be in TFA according to the article were actually in TFA.

6. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I thought recently NP was open to playing Padmé again in possible deaged flashbacks?

7. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Not hostile, I don't think. But a bit, ah, reserved, at times.

And really, don't you think, regarding this sequel business...

Keira Knightley should play Padme in the ST and Natalie should play her decoy?

It's like poetry. Every stanza...

Cael-Fenton and Darth Basin like this.
  8. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    ^^^^^^ We got to get Ahmed Best going again!

9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Didn't she say because of her prequel role she struggled to find another acting gig?

10. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    She did, and directors were reluctant to hire her because of her performance and role in the prequels for a while. She reportedly "rolled her eyes" when asked about Episode III.

11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016

Then she hated the movies hope she has the courage not to attend a convention.

Edit: I don't hate the prequels but I would hate to be a fan seeing her at a convention knowing she didn't like them.

12. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I've been a fan of NP since I saw her in TPM and she did well in the PT. I like her acting performances quite a lot and it would be fun if she could return to SW.

As far as Padme's story arc, it makes sense to me. Never had any issues with her character development.

13. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I think her death was needed for the story. With her death and Vader sensing it, he has no reason to look out for his kids. One of the best parts of RotS were the shots of Padme giving birth reflecting Anakin being rebuild as Vader.

14. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    I don't think Natalie hates Star Wars, she lets her son play the Lego Star Wars games but he hasn't watched the movies. As for Padme, I've always found her to be an interesting character, because she was always the most level headed of the three between Anakin and Obi-Wan.

xezene likes this.
  15. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Per the title of this thread, I think this might be the single best shot of Portman as Padme. Divine lighting.

[​IMG]

16. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Watch out for that Padme stare. Sometimes you can see through it. How much she digs Anakin.

Starting with "I'm glad to have met you Anakin"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not to mention her "wifey" stare at the "Anakin this is my home, I know it very well. That's why we're here....". Just after Anakin apologizes. This stare buckles the knees. [face_dancing]

[​IMG]

Don't forget Queen Jamila confirms "Perfect! It's settled then" Women. Don't try to reason with them. :p

Cheers!

MJ

xezene and Subtext Mining like this.
  17. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Padme's story in ROTS could have presented her as a tiger protecting her cubs. Bearing in mind that ROTJ hinted that Leia had had more of a relationship with her real mother than Luke had, we could have had a final third of ROTS that had its set pieces in a slightly different context:

Obi Wan fights Anakin on Mustafar, just as it transpires

Yoda vs Palpatine happens differently; Palpatine knows Padme is pregnant with Anakin's offspring, and while Anakin is away, Palpatine seeks to kill Padme, knowing that the Skywalker lineage would be a risk to him, with only Yoda in his way as Padme gives birth to twins.
    Padme, exhausted after giving birth, attempts to escape with the twins, reprogramming the records to show that her child (single) didn't survive. Yoda catches up with her, after only just escaping Palpatine. Tells her that there is not much time, but that Palpatine will hunt her down as long as he thinks her children are alive. He takes both Luke and Leia, and tells her to run - he takes the infants, Padme runs and barely escapes. Palpatine thinks Padme had one child who died during birth.

The epilogue could then show that Padme makes secret visits to see Leia, who has been "adopted" by Bail, but that she has made a terrible, unimaginable choice to not even be told Luke's fate, or destination lest she ever be captured and tortured for information. Her death then doesn't need to be seen on screen for us to see both her tragic story, and for it to fit with ROTJ
    Padme's knows she can't protect both twins at once; maybe she

18. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Not that I needed a reminder, but man the costumes in the PT were just amazing. One of the many reasons I'm so thankful for the creative environment of the prequel era.

jaqen and Tonyg like this.
  19. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The PT costume designs were among the best, if not the best, in the entire franchise.

jaqen likes this.
  20. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    All the opposite. What I really like in Padme/Ani relationship is that he is the more emotional and she is the more reasonable one. But in the same time the emotional Anakin is also intelligent so what Padme did in that scene is to resolve the problem with reason. ;) She said “it would be WISE if we do that“. Just compare this to the conversation between Anakin and Obi Wan earlier in the movie: “You should know your place, young one and pay attention to my leads“. Yes, so wise, so mature. I think Padme tames Anakin in the only possible way for him: trying to convince him. That‘s why Anakin listens to her. ;)

21. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Slight problem as Anakin would know that Padme is alive and therefore the child is.

Besides that it does fit with ROTJ as has been gone over many times.

Which I always find funny because it shows that people in the industry like that really don't know how things actually work.

If she would only have shot more people then it would all be alright!

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  22. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Knowing Padme is alive wouldn't necessarily mean the child was alive. That's able to be written around.

"As has gone over many times"
    Er, just because you've stated something and argued it doesn't mean that it works. Leia's recollection is a (relatively minor) inconsistency.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  23. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Is not only her death, but Anakin's death . It happens in the same time: when she dies, he dies also (metaphorically). Anakin is brought back to life by the 'hands' of Padme's son and is her son that makes him wake up in TESB.
    Also, if Padme was alive not only Anakin wouldn’t transform fully into Vader but he would continue looking for her. After all, his first words in the suit are: Where is Padme. And they are said by a man who has lost his limbs short before this. I just cannot imagine that he would stop looking for her for any reason. Not to mention that in this case Palpatine would definitely destroy her because she would convert in big obstacle between him and his new apprentice.
    Also I don't see how and why the separation of the twins would be realized in this scenario. In the end of ROTS they did this because they hadn't too much options. But if she was alive so slong... I don't know.

24. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Agreed. I like all Star Wars' costumes, but Trisha Biggar's were something special[face_love]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

CEB I can see your point, but bear in mind that if GL hadn't wrapped up Padme's story by the end of ROTS (killed her off), many audiences would most likely have complained of continuity issues because we didn't know what had happened to her.

25. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Having Padme die off-screen would have been immensely unsatisfying. We needed to see it happen.

The way it's intertwined in the film with the birth of the twins and of Darth Vader is especially powerful.