main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Also...do they carry fighters? How many? And where? I am a bit of a broken record on this point. They have the platform to answer the question canonically...so I think they should.

JABoomer and vncredleader like this.
  2. VitorPraza

VitorPraza Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 29, 2017
    I`m curious, mc 75 Profundity as Jyn Sato`s fleet also have blue marks( in concepts at least) is it mean something?

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    It's possible, but too early to tell. Alliance ships always had a variety of colored markings (at least fighters), but red seems to be what they adopt post-RO. The main CR90's mostly have red markings in the OT, ditto the red stripes on a Nebulon-B frigate.

Personally, I live a little variety. The ships used by the Alliance are more and more common among all cells/Sector Commands, but each one uses it's own color markings to distinguish it's origins.

--Adm. Nick

4. VitorPraza

Jan 29, 2017
    I agree.Just want to see Profundity in Rebels)))

5. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I have a hunch we'll eventually see it. The design is extremely popular with fans and people seem to love Admiral Raddus. It would be surprising NOT to see him next season.

--Adm. Nick

Vialco, vncredleader and VitorPraza like this.
  6. VitorPraza

Jan 29, 2017
    Agree

7. TheNerdyOne_

TheNerdyOne_ Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2015
    Well Filoni has said he wants to do the battle of Scarif from the perspective of the Ghost, so one way or another we will definitely see it.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    He wanted TCW to go for eight seasons, too.

9. TheNerdyOne_

TheNerdyOne_ Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2015
    Very, very different situation. Rebels isn't going anywhere.

10. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Initially, didn't they say it is intended to go for at least five seasons?

11. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    There has been scuttlebutt recently about Rebels Season 4 being the final season, but nothing concrete of course.

And didn't Dave Filoni leave his supervising director position with Rebels to perhaps begin work on the next SW animated series, whatever that may be?

This from last September: http://www.slashfilm.com/new-lucasfilm-animation-projects/

12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
  13. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Thats certainly a size reduction, I think Disney could use some fleet junkie proof readers :)

14. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002

Speaking of which, not having picked up the comics in a long while I'm curious as to whether we ever got a full exterior look at Grand General Tagge's Annihilator in the Darth Vader comics - the Wook only has an interior shot of her bridge. It's always bugged me that it's assumed she's an Executor-class but Executor herself is a) still under construction at the time and b) implied to be a more desirable command than Annihilator. Makes me wonder if there's any wiggle room for Annihilator to be an older Star Dreadnought such as a Mandator.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  15. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    It would have been nice if we did get a new dreadnought class, but Complete Locations did mention it as part of the Executor-class as well. FYI, Fractal is working on a new Old Republic era dreadnought/battleship based on a partial look from one of the Legends comics, pretty cool so far.

16. DarthCane

May 30, 2002

Hmm - as a "Super Star Destroyer," or as an "Executor-class?" I suppose if the latter it's still possible Executor was delayed due to being fitted with some additional refinements. Likewise, I'm still holding out for the Legend Eclipse or at least a very heavily altered Executor-class hull - something tells me Palpatine would not have been content with having a flagship equal to that of his apprentice or anyone else.

Back before Legends was Legends, my headcanon was that the 8-km "Super Star Destroyer" we saw in the WEG materials was really a refitted Mandator-class, possibly a Mandator-II, with the superstructure razed and rebuilt to match the newer Executor. A real-world example would have been how many of the surviving older WWI-vintage battleships (the US Nevada, Tennessee, California, and West Virginia in particular as well as the British Queen Elizabeth, Warspite, Valiant, and Renown) were rebuilt with superstructures and secondary batteries that matched their newer successors of the North Carolina, South Dakota, Iowa, and King George V classes.

King of Alsakan and jasonfry like this.
  17. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007

Yes it includes the Annihilator in with the 12 or maybe more Executor's built, and states that there are other classes of large warships, some of which we know about in the new canon, that are also refereed to as Super Star Destroyers. Mr. Fry wisely, and thankfully :), left things very vague for future stories. I can see the Executor's being in blocks or flights, like the Arleigh Burke class or other real life examples, so you get different features between the various Executor class ships. Though I also do hope that the Eclipse is a one off design.

Good thoughts with the refits, I am personally very fond of the Tennessee-class refit myself. In EGTW, we did gets some Mandator-I's refitted to Mandator-II's if my memory serves me right as well. Hope we get to see one day, or fractal builds one soon. Always love to see more battlecruiser or dreadnought designs, and though I do love the Kuati designs, I do hope we see one form another builder one day.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Aside from the lack of "hump" - isn't Fractalsponge's Star Battleship roughly in the Mandator's size range, with the image from Star Wars Tales that inspired his Star Battleship, also being chronologically right for being a Mandator?

The image in question:

(Saxton's theory was (regardless of lack of hump) that it could be a Mandator, but we can't be sure):

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/dagger.html#battleship4

[anonymous star battleship #4]

LENGTH: > many miles (est.)
    MANUFACTURER: Kuat Drive Yards or Rothana Heavy Engineering?
    SIGHTING: orbit of an “important” world of the Galactic Republic, 6 months after the Battle of Naboo.

Six months after the Battle of Naboo, a fleet of warships is seen in an apparently protective deployment around an important planet of the Old Republic [STAR WARS Tales #21]. Beside the star frigates and octagonal-winged TIE fighters there is at least one massive warship [looming off the bottom-left edge of the image]. This ship is not entirely visible. We can see a dorsal cortex structure surrounded by flat armoured hull, very similar to corresponding areas of the Executor. At least one scanner globe and perhaps a tower-like structure sit within the cortex. These qualitative scaling cues imply that the ship belongs to an Old Republic class of star battleship or star dreadnought that was eventually related to the later Executor. It is not yet possible to determine whether this ship is a Mandator or another (as yet) unnamed class.

The story was Nomad, set 6 months after the Battle of Naboo:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nomad

And the Mandator entered service in 42 BBY, some 10 years before:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandator-class_Star_Dreadnaught

King of Alsakan likes this.
  19. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Well, the important question to me would be, where that idea of the Mandator being "humpbacked" originated, because I'm certain it wasn't in one of the ICSes. I always thought it was a fan-idea based on some unofficial 3D-models by EvilleJedi or another modelmaker.

If it isn't from an official/Canon source nothing speaks against the big warship from Nomad to be a Mandator. If it is, the speculation in the entry about the ship being a Mandator originates in the fact, that the entry was probably made before this idea of a hump-backed Mandator appeared anyway.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Or Dark Empire - Fractal's Bellator was supposed to be based on a ship in that (and also supposed to be a Mandator-derivative).

Presumably the writers of TEGTW used Fractal's Bellator as a starting point for describing the Mandator.

21. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Got it. Page 166 pf the EGtW has this to say:
    "While Ruusan regulations limited the Mandator's speed and armament, the humpbacked battleship was still a formidable vessel, and the galaxy's wealthiest sectors clamored for similar warships."

It is really ironic. If they had left out the part about the Mandator being "humpbacked", the ship from Nomad could have been a Mandator without a problem. In fact, if one goes with the EGtW, the Mandator was the only class of Star Dreadnought in service during the time of the Republic. For the large warships mentioned in the AotC:ICS at Kuat, Humbarine and Corellia the guidebook accounts for Humbarine also having a Mandator, which would only leave the part about Corellia open to questions. If not for the thing with Corellia, the only candidate for the ship from Nomad would indeed be the Mandator putting an end to all speculation.

22. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    I forgot it had mentioned it in EGTW, I thought as above it had only to do something with Dark Empire and its connection to the Bellator.

I would think that the identity of the ship in the comic panel could still be pretty open. Could be any other unknown class of dreadnought, battlecruiser, a larger Star Destroyer, or similar warships from Kuat or maybe another major shipyard. Could also be one of the many test bed or one off ships mentioned in EGTW to get around those Ruusan regulations. Either way I am glad Fractal is bringing it to life.

23. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Right on schedule, Fractal's Legator-class Star Dreadnought based on the above comic panel, certainly a centerpiece of any Core World Navy :)

[​IMG]

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  24. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Nice! And I like that it is much smaller than Imperial-era dreadnoughts. It's like seeing the 1900s designs vs. end of WWII-era ones.

In vehicles-based news, the Wobani entry on the Databank includes a blurb about the A9 Turbo Tank being a repurposed design, like was mentioned by the Story Group in a R1 video a few weeks ago. I guess the base design was the A6 from ROTS and TCW.

25. DarthCane

May 30, 2002

Hmm. I suppose my only objection is the use of an ISD-I bridge module when the Acclamator and Venator used more of an elongated pod. Overall that design looks a lot more "Imperial" in nature compared to the Old Republic KDY/Rothana designs we've seen ... but then again I guess it could be handwaved as a post-Clone Wars refit.