main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    One of my favourite shots in TFA is what I would call a classic Spielberg shot. It's when the X-wings come down to attack SKB.

We have a wide shot of them flying in formation towards the oscillator.
    [​IMG]

That pulls back into an extremely long geography shot.
    [​IMG]

That pans across so that we're inside a control room on SKB.
    [​IMG]

We then move from a full shot of Hux that transitions into a medium.
    [​IMG]

And then we move from that angle to an over the shoulder shot to the interior of the control room where we have a triangle of FO minions.
    [​IMG]

And then the camera comes back to a close up of Hux.
    [​IMG]

In summary, we have an establishing shot, a positioning shot, a reaction shot, an exposition shot, and then a character shot in a single take. It's really quite good.

DARTH_BELO, JediLight, 11-4D and 10 others like this.
  2. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think the direction is great throughout. I've seen people who hate JJ's direction and say it's jarring compared to George's stuff. I'd always say JJ is much closer to Spielberg in how he moves the camera anyway.

3. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well this is back up for whatever reason.

JJ gave us the kind of movie that Star Trek (which got him the gig) told us he would.

Lots of excitement and adventure and really likeable characters.

A terrific popcorn movie but without the depth of story or character that marks the Lucas films and is also reflected in Rogue One.

Like I've said a terrific restatement of Episodes I-VI.

Thing is we already have them but it works well for the audience who needs an intro and reminder.

5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'm not sure where else to post this, and I realize I'm two years late on this, but the irony of production designer Rick Carter's infamous comment "We truly are out in a desert. A real desert," is that he won an Oscar for his production design on Avatar, one of the most CGI heavy films ever.

This isn't meant as a dig at Carter, though. The guy is pretty unimpeachable as a film industry professional. I just found that comment humorous in the context of his own body of work.

6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    He really didn't do anything that wasn't in everyone's media notes or even something they were contractually bound to say though.

His was just particularly odder than most.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  7. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I don't get it. What's humorous about the quote or the fact that Avatar is CGI?

8. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    It's that Carter's quotes ties into the TFA promotional mantra of practical effects and real locations, while he himself was previously awarded for another film that was largely achieved in CGI. I don't interpret the quote as malicious or disingenuous, just funny given that he worked on Avatar.

Mostly Handless and ezekiel22x like this.
  9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Maybe that's why he said that desert thing. Because he knows how digital the film industry has become in recent years.
    Maybe it never was a jab at the prequels like some people here like to think.

thejeditraitor, Artoo-Dion and CEB like this.
  10. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Also, I suspect that CG artists like being challenged. Working on a film in which a completely new alien landscape is designed and realised is a challenge. Maybe people like him are delighted when a filmmaker doesnt simply go CG for something easy to realise in CGsuch as a desert, and they instead prioritise the scale and feel of being on location

11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    What was foolish about the quote is that every Star Wars film at that point, with the exception of ESB, had filmed in "a real desert". All of the Tatooine stuff was "real". It was a very bad example for the point he was trying to make.

12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    The thing is of course is that it wasn't a jab at the reality of their production but at the fantasy version which a comment like that alludes to.

Could be that he was talking in the larger context of movies and it merely got lost in the morass of the rest of the marketing.

It was a particularly bizarre one that it stood out.

13. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Even in the larger context John Carter had on-location shooting in desert environments a mere three years before TFA. Just an odd thing to highlight. But that's how marketing rolls much of the time. Also I'm starting to roll my eyes at the "OMG Star Wars stuff!" previews. Yes, Star Wars sets have props and costumes. Amazing!!!

14. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Had Rick Carter himself been in a real desert recently before TFA? Is he making a distinction between an Arabian desert and other desert environments.

Is there evidence that pointing out you've filmed in a real desert to the media adds profits to the film. Or that CGI films, like Avatar, suffer at the box office for this reason? Clearly not.

Isn't the humour being derived from this based on assumptions that don't actually hold up logically?

15. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    No. Pointing out that they filmed in a real desert is simply a signal of the artistic direction of the film/ series. They're going for more realism in the look. Plain and simple. It wasn't about a calculation that this would lead to more profits. It was just about signaling that these films would look different than most CGI blockbusters. Just setting expectations.

He could have used a different example, as all Star Wars films with deserts filmed in real ones. But it was a two-second clip, and he may have been taken out of context.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  16. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Except that it isn't either plain or simple. It promotes the false idea that when Star Wars was initially done this "realism" was something desired. What was desired was to be as "alien" as they could within more exotic (ie not regular settings that most Americans would experience on a regular basis). Obviously they couldn't do much at all back then so it was desert, jungle, forest, snow etc for the limited location work.

Then as they could have the Death Stars, asteroid fields, Cloud City, Jabba's palace etc.

Depends which ones being talked about. From a modern perspective it was not unlike LOTR movies but not like MCU movies which of course are on modern day Earth and in cities.

So they are creating their own sub category of modern day CGI blockbusters but as with TFA and R1 it's not that far off from many others. In Star Wars terms the biggest difference is that they have been using locations far more than the original Lucas movies did or had any interest in doing. Why that is in a day and age when it's more irrelevant than ever to do so I don't know.

The obvious I guess is that if you want to keep going to forest and green planets all the time go shoot in a forest which is why TFA was packed with them.

17. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Yeah, I know. You omitted the portion of my post where I note that "real desert" was a bad example...

Martoto77 likes this.
  18. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I don't think it means anything except that being in a real desert like the Arabian one is worth remarking on.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Is JJ still co/executive producing VIII, or somehow involved with it???? I thought I remembered him saying he was involved at one point..

20. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001

He's an Executive Producer through IX.

My far out guess, is he'll be directing and writing Episode X several years from now.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  21. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    I guess that depends on what year 'X' is released, I think JJ will be taking several years, or even decades off from SW to work on his other projects. But I reckon he'll be back eventually.

Edit: I think he mentioned having read the script for the Han Solo movie at some point around the release of TFA as well. Although that might have been done in a less formal capacity than his involvement with VII and IX.

JediLight likes this.
  22. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
  23. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    It's not worth giving even a moment's thought to that nonsense.

24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    thejeditraitor likes this.
  25. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    I'm surprised that Cracked story didn't mention the opening line "this will make things right" like a lot of critics mentioned when the movie opened.
    I keep thinking J.J. Abrams will return to the Lost universe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.