main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How did the prequels affect the post-RoTJ timeline?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by zchmrkenhoff, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Actually that's Gavin Darklighter.

Corran did have relations with a Selonian though :)

2. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

So are you saying he is the Star Wars Equivalent Francis Urquhart? Now I picture him having snarky asides during all his appearances.

(for the unfamiliar he is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Urquhart )

back more on topic, I would have liked to see, more prequal species and planets in the post rotj-timeline.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That could work, albeit with far less initial success.

I can't help but think that when Borsk finally nabbed the CoS position he went: So, what's left? Nothing? Bugger.

And then the Vong turned up......

4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

It would have been nice if he had changed more towards the heroes, not been bffs, but not hostile either, maybe have them form an 'alliance' where they both need each other (Borsk for the politics, and the heroes to go and hit stuff) but neither really 'like' each other.

Or even just show that he was trying to do the best for the New Republic in his own 'way' rather then only out for himself and his own advancement. Something I like about the council scene in Rouge One was it showed people with different ideas all trying to do the best for the alliance.

In legends the New Republic, seems (at least from the Thrawan Trilogy, I haven't gotten to Black Fleet or anything later yet) to have only two good politicians (leia and Mon) and Borsk. Doesn't really paint a good view of the government. This wasn't brought on by the prequels, though I think the prequels did bring more politics into the stories so there was room for good (or at least non evil antagonistic) politicians, instead Daala was made CoS, so yeah :(

Jedi Ben, JediBatman and Gamiel like this.
  5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Well, I think it's also important to remember that outside of TTT and the X-wing books that take place prior to it, Borsk is really a minimal figure for the rest of the Bantam run. He shows up in a minor role in the Black Fleet trilogy to vote against Leia, but even there he doesn't lead the vote against her (one of Leia's old allies does) and it's proven to be for the right reason (her running into a war with the Yevetha as soon as Han gets captured). He's not even the most prominent political opponent featured in the trilogy. And he's in the Hand of Thrawn books, but again for a very minimal role, even smaller than in Black Fleet, and there he's a guy who works with Leia to stop the New Republic from splintering (and I think it's also noteworthy that the aliens against the Bothans are depicted as being as much in the wrong as the pro-Bothans). I'm not sure he even briefly appears in the Bantam run anywhere outside of those four series (TTT, BFT, Hand of Thrawn, and X-wing).

But once Vector Prime comes out, he becomes front and center, and his villainy is dialed up to 11, along with his incompetence.

Jedi Ben and Gamiel like this.
  6. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I read Hand of Thrawn in 2004, and going in I already knew that Borsk was Chief of State in The New Jedi Order, so when I saw him front and center on the cover of Specter of the Past I was like "Oh! He must play a big role in this duology. This'll be where he becomes Chief of State. He's a Zahn character so it makes sense." Then he was in it for all of five minutes and the Chief of State was a pterodactyl instead and I was like "Huh. How 'bout that."

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Utterly off-topic, but I've been rereading HoT over the last couple of weeks and I'm pretty sure Zahn actually meant Puffers to be a pegasus.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

I remember saying something similar a few months ago:

9. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

I saw Gavisrom as a bird-like creature in my head back when I first read it (I was between 11 and 15 at the time).

10. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    My friend, who was not a Star Wars fannn....his first reaction upon seeing Gavrisom was: The president is a giant chicken??!!

Not the best portrayal.

11. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

At least this chicken was a lot smarter than other previously portrayed anthromorphic chickens in other media.

Whatever did happen to Gavisrom after his term as Chief of State/acting Chief of State ended?

vncredleader and Daneira like this.
  12. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    He faded into the nothingness from which he arose.

Seriously, other than some name-drops in Essential Guides, I don't think he was ever mentioned again. A shame, really.

Ghost, Mia Mesharad and Vthuil like this.
  13. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

I think I saw in the EU Fanfiction when someone was writing an alternative to Invincible so as to end the Second Galactic Civil War in some fashion, Gavrisom was still serving and was considered as a replacement before Daala.

14. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Y'know, it's not often that "giant talking bird dude with feather hands" is a preferable alternative for like...basically anything. But this? This would be one of those times. Give me Gavrisom over Daala any day.

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Gavrisom was actually a pretty good guy and leader (which, I suspect, is why he vanished). Merely deeming him "better than Daala" is kind of insulting.

Nobody145 likes this.
  16. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013

When reading the HOT duology, I hear all of Gavrisom's lines recited in the voice of Hyper Chicken from Futurama.

WMIRTUTSF and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Of some reason your comments have made me picturing him as looking like Big Bird
    [​IMG]

Matthew Trias and vncredleader like this.
  18. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    It's especially surprising that Gavrisom just vanished, since the NJO not only had a few Calibop appearances across the series, but also dredged up an impressive number of Bantam-era New Republic politicians as well.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I blame colonel Sanders of the Imperial Remnant :p

20. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    You sure it was a Colonel and not a certain Grand Admiral?........*cough* GrandAdmiralJello *cough*

21. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I waited the entire damn series for Ben-Kihl Nam.

Stackpoke's owl dude (can't remember the character or species name at the moment) played a role in Dark Tide that would have fit Benny as well, so after his death at the hands of Shedao Shai Benny could have taken over the role of Leia's Senate ally.

But he never showed up. NEVER.

22. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Benny actually would have made a lot more sense being in the Gavrisom role in HOT than inventing a new character, too.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I love that Gavrisom is a giant chicken, simply for the ridiculousness of this picture. This was the end of the Galactic Civil War: not the deaths of Palpatine and Vader at Endor, but 15 years later on the Chimaera when Pelly shook hands with a giant chicken while an extremely smug Mon Mothma and two stormtroopers looked on.
    [​IMG]

24. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999

That was awesome. Behold, Punk Gavrisom. Ponc. Whatever he was called.

Daneira: The black and white version of that picture from the original EC is what my friend was reacting to. It's a bit ridiculous.

Personally, I had alway imagined Callibops to be more Pegasus like.

25. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I'm a fosh fan myself when it comes to SW avians.