main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    In AOTC:ICS, the arrowhead towers were considered regular features on smaller warship designs at KDY.

2. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I've just come across this video on facebook and I thought some on here may enjoy it, has anyone else seen this?

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Just that thumbnail is a pretty good indicator of just how off the official scales for the Mon Cal Star Cruisers are. I've never been able to understand why some people care that much about ship sizes, but this particular case is just egregiously at odds with how it actually appears in the film.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  4. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Don't know what comparison pic it was in particular, but I had always thought the Mon Cal ships were too small, but when I saw the actual comparison to an ISD I was very surprised to see just how off it really seems to be.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

The Mon Cal in the image is a Liberty-type - which is fairly close to the listed 1.2 km size in some shots. This one, for example:

I'm wondering where they've gotten the idea that the Rebels Interdictor is 1.6 km, myself - didn't people do scaling estimates based on the size of its hanger, that put it at around 1.2 km?

Vialco and vncredleader like this.
  6. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    It would make sense that the "pod" style bridges are more common on assault ships, designed for more frequent landings and atmospheric operations, while larger ships have the more robust ISD style design.

7. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    That GR-75 looks way to big right there.

8. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Not if it's above the Star Destroyers.

vncredleader likes this.
  9. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Just saw Secret Cargo.
    Lots of cool stuff (only one mon cal cruiser! They let others ships be the core for once!) but the biggest thing that stood out to me is the rather distinctive closeup on the pair of ISDs under Pryce firing with octet batteries.

Was also fun to see Dutch Vander again. We have gotten far more on him in the last 4 months than the past 20 years combined.

Sinre Edit...

10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    RE: Rebels episode "Secret Cargo"

Yeah, it was such a great episode. Great to see Vander and Gold Squadron in action, ditto using the Y-wing all the ways it should be. We see them destroy TIE's with their primary lasers, disable ships with their ion cannon, drop bombs, and fire proton torpedoes. A great reminder that the Y-wing is a beast. The TIE Defender stuff didn't excite me much, but that's cause they've never been that cool to me. I do love that a pair of Y-wings disable it though, hahaha.

The Rebel Fleet shot was lovely. As Wes notes above, only a single MC80 cruiser, the rest of the fleet that arrived is a mix of classic and Rebels designs. The gathering seems to be unprecedented, as they are responding to Mon Mothma's call to form a true alliance. I imagine that Dantooine becomes the base where the formal Alliance to Restore the Republic is formed.

Great visuals in the episode too. The nebula, the weapons, the burning Star Destroyers - very memorable.

--Adm. Nick

11. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Pablo Hidalgo has actually confirmed that everything the Rebel Alliance had, every ship that could move or fight was at the Battle of Scarif. Not sure whether his word overrides the novel canon.

12. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    Anyone here hope to ever see a victory class star destroyer in rebels of a movie, they have kinda taken a back seat so far in canon with them only being mentioned in Tarkin.

13. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Didn't Pablo say that in new canon they look no different than ISDs?

14. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    If every ship was at the Battle of Scariff, what happened to the MC80...

Oh.

:(

15. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    Really? I didn't know that, that kinda lame. there must be some difference otherwise why make one from a standard ISDs?

16. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002

The Venator and Secutor (assuming the latter still uses Ansel Hsiao's design since it's been recanonized) both had the podded bridges; the latter is a larger ship than the ISD to boot (again, assuming it's kept the design introduced in EGtW). Granted they had more of a carrier role than the ISD, but we still see the Executor (a ship designed to fight at longer ranges and presumably carry swarms of fighters) using the trapezoidal bridge of the ISD.

Overall I find it just a matter of design aesthetic - an Acclamator, Venator, or Legends-design Victory just has that look which, while clearly related to the ISD, gives the sense it was designed under Republic auspices with at least a veneer of civility rather than being a flying slab of white armor with gun turrets and a jagged superstructure. Then again, I suppose in the Legendsverse the pre-Clone Wars Star Dreadnoughts were KDY system defense battleships; as such KDY might have designed them with a more intimidating appearance.

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003

Actually, here is Pablo's exact answer to Andi's question about the fleet in Rebels being the one in RO:

"I would say a lot of it is. Maybe not all of it, as there's a few ship types that we that we don't see in Rogue One. So maybe they just weren't combat ready. Maybe they were off in the wings getting refitted for a future combat. But, I wanna think that everything that the Rebel Alliance had that could move, that could fight, was sent to Scarif."

He's already done the prudent thing and given some wiggle room, as we don't see any MC80 Home One-type cruisers at Scarif. Plus the ship count doesn't add up. The possibilities are endless really. Some ships were under going refit/repair at the secret Telaris shipyards, some were lost in combat prior to Scarif (I'm looking at you, Quasar Fire-class carrier!), and some might not have been battle ready.

The fleet really shouldn't start expanding until post-RO/ANH, to be honest. We know that they just started refitted Mon Cal cruisers (the Profundity is the first battle ready cruiser), plus these crucial victories at Scarif and Yavin cause other systems to support the Rebellion. More support means more ships. The destruction of Alderaan pushes more worlds as well. Hell, it even pushes some Imperial officers to defect.

What we see in Rebels & RO is the fleet in it's very embryonic state. It's got a long way to go until we see the combined armada at Endor.

--Adm. Nick

18. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999

Did he? Can anyone confirm if this is true?

19. Counter

Counter Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 3, 2017
    I hope not. The Victory Star Destroyer's "wings" and bridge give it a distinct look. It'd be a real shame to just say..."Yea, they look exactly like Imperial Star Destroyers. They're just smaller."

vncredleader and TheRedBlade like this.
  20. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    I signed up for this site just to post in this thread, so have a higher quality version of the Rebel Fleet scene, taken from the Rebels Recon

[​IMG]

21. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Welcome aboard! We always love it when new Fleet Junkies join our ranks! :)

--Adm. Nick

22. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    I'll provide as much in the way of visual material as I can, insofar as Fair Use permits, and try to avoid spoiling anything.
    On that subject, has anyone noticed that the CGI model of the Nebulon B for Rogue One differs substantially from the studio model? It seems a lot "fatter," especially on the bow.

[​IMG]

23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Something about this scene made me wonder: how did all these ships, jumping from various locations, end up in perfect formation, evenly spaced, all with the same directional orientation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Why did they only turn up after the speech? Was the implication that they were all listening in and deciding whether or not to join?Based on if a politician made it sound convincing? And they all decided to do so almost simultaneously? Or were they all already on the way?

Daneira likes this.
  25. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Hyperspace is a Freeway, and systems are the Off-ramp