main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #1-6: Aphra (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I have no interest in a redeemed Doctor Aphra. She's an evil person, however likable, and it'd ruin her character to try to "redeem" her.

Also, bluntly, Vader might take her back for the chutzpah for fooling him.

He's learned a few lessons about throwing away his toys.

Gamiel likes this.
  2. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    It caught me when you said "evil," I don't disagree though. Aphra is cool no doubt but a "good" person wouldn't have Triple 0 and Beetee around just in case, knowing who they were. Villains can be cool and has you, despite yourself, rooting for & sympathizing w/them. We all read Vader as a good example.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  4. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I assume it's not the intended effect but... my goodness, how I despise Aphra!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah she just failed Archaeology 101.

"It belongs in a museum!!!"

No wait, that's not it. "Archaeology is the study of people... by spending 6 hours drawing that pottery fragment before you step on it and then send it to the museum's bottomless warehouse for all eternity."

MercenaryAce and starfish like this.
  6. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    She is the kind of "archeologist" who frees a killbot-matrix from its safe storage just because its fun to see it do its thing.

T-Z again crushes it with his his sarcasm.

7. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    Very excited for issue #5 to come out tomorrow...the preview looks fantastic. LOVE the cover artwork by Kamome Shirahama as usual. I must say that the variant cover by Joe Quinones is awful...worst Doctor Aphra cover so far. But to end on a positive note, this is my favorite comic and I'm very much looking forward to tomorrow.

8. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think a lot of people who grew up with Indiana Jones as their first exposure to archaeologists as a profession missed that he's a TERRIBLE one in-universe. He's supposed to be on a redemption arc from the depths of grave robbery and criminality he's sunk to.

In the case of Aphra, she's Belloq not Indy with the potential of BECOMING criminal Indy.

:)

I think Aphra is kind of meant to be an awful person. In fact, it's why I hope the series doesn't try a redemption arc because I find that mostly unique in Star Wars.

9. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Anyone else notice that the latest issue of Doctor Ahpra, star wars' only current female led series, was released on international women's day. Coincidence?......possibly

HeatherAntos likes this.
  10. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    This series is fricken awesome! This might be better than Lando was with this issue. Immortal Rur!

HeatherAntos likes this.
  11. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    I have a really weird relationship with this comic (and the more Aphra+droids centric Vader comics).

I find the droids and Aphra herself pretty try-hard-quirky and irritating at this point, characters that would be fun in smaller doses but have long overstayed their welcome for me.

But on the other hand, pretty much everything else about the comic I like a lot. Especially the conflicting and muddled historical accounts re: Force-related shenanigans. That really feels like it's from the same universe as ANH, where the Force was a poorly remembered "ancient/hokey religion". A lot of Star Wars content fails to capture that, and is way too clear about historical events at the expense of mystery (and realism, since historical records naturally drop sharply in reliability and completeness past a certain age).

This leaves the comic in an odd position where I can't love it unreservedly, but I can't dislike it enough to just ignore either. Instead I keep reading, with an internal monologue alternating between annoyed whining and "Oh man that's great!"

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  12. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Can we talk about the fact that
    this colic is pretty much Blind Fury! 2.0? I think we can assume the Ordu Aspectu and the Order of the Terrible Glare namedropped in Servants of the Empire: The Secret Academy are one and the same?

Contessa and MercenaryAce like this.
  13. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I tell you I hope Gillen never stops writing Star Wars comics. As soon as this one ends I hope he goes right on another series. He is just so great at developing these characters. I am really starting to enjoy reading about Aphra's dad and I feel like the communication between the two has been done really well. And the fact that this overall is a series to let us in on a bit of Star Wars lore just makes it all the better.

Issue #5 was definitely my favorite one so far. I do hope at some point they have some flashbacks with Aphra's mom so we actually get to see her instead of just listening to Aphra and her dad talk about her.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    I've yet to read #5 but this title is proving to be cool. I wonder what the next arc will be though.

15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Well based on the covers looks like a Luke and Aphra team up. Guess we will find out how Luke and co run into Aphra in that one shot that will be released in a couple months,

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    #5 was really good as we got some character development. I only have two small gripes.

We finally found out why Black Krrsantan is still hanging around, or at least we thought so, until the end where he appears to steal Aphra's ship.

I really enjoyed the conversation between Father and Daughter Aphra before she gave him the crystal that he needed. It felt real and was needed to care about these characters more.

I liked that the droids had no sense of urgency in informing their "masters" that the Imperials were there.

Dislikes:
    Papa Aphra was spouting terms that I didn't understand nor knew what he was referring to. Maybe I need to re-read the past issues or maybe it's yet to be revealed.

The ease of exploring the facility seemed almost too easy. I half expected more puzzles like exploring a dungeon in Legend of Zelda.

For Triple Zero and Beetee fans:

[​IMG]

Qel, revan772 and Darth_Voider like this.
  17. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Aphra's an opportunist, basically a bounty hunter w/a shovel so you'd have to expect it.

18. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I went to my comic shop today to pick up this week's Doctor Aphra issue but unfortunately their shipment got damaged so I won't get my hands on it for a couple more weeks.

This series is shaping up to be my favorite possibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

In the two years now that the new canon comics have been going on a shipment mistake has only happened once with me. And luckily it was just for the TFA adaption so I didn't really care too much. Still don't have one of the TFA issues because of that but I am definitely not going to bother tracking it down just to get a complete set for that series.

20. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    My LCS had a problem last week, but it was weather related. It's a bummer when that happens.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Finally sat down to catch up on this one- what a fantastic series so far. Really carries over the creative energy of the Darth Vader series. Gillen plays with this universe in extremely cool ways. The series so far overall has that SW-meets-Indy vibe that could result in a very long-running series if sales are good- there's so many possibilities they could go in during her different expeditions.

Thoughts as I read them:

Issue #1- Love the hat. Are his bodyguards the furry aliens from RO? Love Aphra's expressions here, especially the "may not hold our working relationship in the same high esteem" panel. I also like how this first arc is just titled "Aphra", echoing the first Darth Vader arc being titled "Vader".

"No, spontaneous human combustion is not a thing." [face_laugh]

#2- 000's torture tease moment was fantastic. Aphra's dad calling her "junior" might be a little too on-the-nose for the Indy comparisons but it makes for a fun dynamic. The Yavin 4 twist is a neat idea, getting to see the aftermath of that place with the Imperial presence is not something I recall seeing portrayed much at all.

#3- Was there a random, misplaced "yeah" word bubble there? IT-0! I wonder if he is a DS1 survivor now or just a similar model?

Calling it now, new band name: "Hostile Megafauna."

[​IMG]

"Wait, the scout is missing its-" and this is the moment that Black Krrsantan officially became ridiculously awesome. :cool: Please tell me the rest of the series from this point on just has constant, unrelated, cutaways to BK continuing this exact same battle forever.

(Weeks later, on Coruscant, Aphra is having tea near the droids)
    Aphra: "I wonder what Black Krrsantan is up to? Haven't seen him since Yavin..."

(cut to Yavin 4 with a Stormtrooper running past another)
    Trooper #1: "He's got a rock! Run!"
    Trooper #2: "But it's just a rock, why-"
    Trooper #1: "I said run, you fool! AAGGHHHH!!!"
    BK: (Wookiee roar!)

(back to Coruscant)
    0-0-0: "I'm sure he's keeping busy, Master Aphra."

#4- Eadu and Tage connection. I like the sympathetic Ozzel presented here." I know you're trying your hardest, but that may no longer be enough, Tolvan"

#5- I really dig the whole citadel look. Feels ancient and alien and appropriately "Indiana Jones climax" in feel. We even have "Nazis" closing in complicating things. ;)

22. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Jedha John and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ohh... another exclusive I can't afford....

BigAl6ft6 and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Missed EVERYTHING here and I come to see this. OH MY GOD.

Might have to beg a friend going to get them for me and I'd pay for 'em.

25. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    lol I mean, I feel like I should be hating her, but I just can't. She's too entertaining, imo.