main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    that reminds me I did a crappy uninspired interpretation of the starhawk in mspaint

[​IMG]

2. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
  3. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Not very likely, because the teeny tiny ships we see in that split second scene are significantly smaller than the Mon Cal Cruisers, roughly as scale as Neb-Bs to MC80s. Also there's JJ Abrams passive hostility to originality and novelty, but that's a subject for another thread. To be honest, I needed someone to point out that there were ships in Hosnian's orbit and provide me with a screencap of it, because I noticed no other ship in watching than the Finalizer, Falcon/Eravana, Resistance shuttle, TIE fighters, and X-wings. Hopefully Rian Johnson will give us the spaceship fix we need in TLJ.

vncredleader likes this.
  4. VitorPraza

VitorPraza Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 29, 2017
  5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Our best hope of getting a picture of the Starhawk battleships is in Blade Squadron: Jakku in an upcoming issue of SW Insider. We know that Blade Squadron attacks the engines of the Ravager, so hopefully we'll get a cool picture of the two warships tangling in the space over Jakku. [face_praying]

--Adm. Nick

Sinrebirth and vncredleader like this.
  6. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Get fireworks ready in case there is an image of one. The thread is gonna throw a party if that happens.

7. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    [​IMG]

I'm sorry if the image is too big, but I'm posting it because I noticed something that I think might be of interest. We're told in Empire's End that the Republic battleship Concord went down with the Ravager, and that it crashed before the Ravager at a location not far from where the dreadnought itself crashed. Keeping that in mind, please observe the vessel under the Ravager in this picture, behind the three X-wings. Could that be the first image we've seen of what a Starhawk-class battleship looks like? The front (although whether that's the front is open to interpretation) looks right.

vncredleader likes this.
  8. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    That's just a plain ole' ISD. Well, around half of one. ;)

--Adm. Nick

TheRedBlade and vncredleader like this.
  9. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    EA/DICE didn't bother modeling the Profundity or hammerheads for the Rogue One DLC, reusing the standard Liberty and CR90s respectively, I highly doubt they'd model a ship a year in advance of the book it was first mentioned in.

10. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Right there is the problem.

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    There is a fantastic site called Shapeways that you can purchase 3D printed models that are to X-wing or Armada scale. Truly gorgeous stuff, check out the Profundity:

[​IMG]

This makes me hope & pray that FFG releases an actual one this year! [face_praying]

--Adm. Nick

12. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    I like it but I'm terrible at painting, I'll have to wait for FFG to sell an overpriced fully painted version.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  13. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Am I the only one reminded of a surf-board by that image of the Profundity?

Makes you wish they'd get rid of that MC-nomenclatura in favour of things like Waveskimmer-class assault cruiser or Megalodon-class Star Defender. :D

14. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Whaladon-class! [face_laugh]

MercenaryAce likes this.
  15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003

Yeah, I've always been a fan of the aquatic sounding names, both from the EU and current canon. Startide. Reef Home. Nautilian. Of course, I've also always been a fan of the virture names, like Liberty, Defiance, Restoration, Freedom's Fury, Echo of Hope, etc.

The later seems to fit the NR's naming structure the most, whether it be a Mon Cal cruiser or some other class of starship. Hence why we have names like Unity, Amity, Concord, Redeemer, etc.

--Adm. Nick

MercenaryAce and vncredleader like this.
  16. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    I dunno, Mon Cal cruisers always looked like Mackerel sharks or Rorqual whales to me, and the Profundity took that image to the extreme with its flattish top. I do think the figurative aquatic lifeform shape could be expanded into different Mon Cal ship designs; like a vertically oriented Mola Mola, or a very front heavy angler fish.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The MC80B looks very stingray-shaped. And the MC140 looked like a Hammerhead shark - but turned over, so the hammer was vertical instead of horizontal.

I agree that other fish shapes might be worth experimenting with too.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  18. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I never saw a Scythe-class till right now. Holy ***p that ship looks cool. Can that be canon again? I am gonna do puppy dog eyes at Pablo till that happens.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe with a bit of modification - weapon turrets, engines, and so forth, that look like they're taken from an Imperial-class, it could be the basis for the newcanon's "hatchet-bowed" Starhawk?

Tzizvvt78 and vncredleader like this.
  20. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    I'm rather fond of the Pre-Yavin era naming scheme- Maria, Maximus, Cathleen, Lusla, Endevour, Stimsonj'kat

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  21. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    Perhaps in the best of both worlds Mon Cal class cruisers would have the aquatic names while the individual cruisers share the more common virtue naming convention with the rest of the Rebel Alliance / New Republic fleet.

22. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    MercenaryAce and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I really loved that design. A great example of how the Empire finds many uses for the old Gozanti-class cruisers. It's versatility rivals that of the old Corellian corvette! It reminds me of the GFFA version of an AWACS aircraft. :D

--Adm. Nick

24. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    they explicitly mention AWACS inspiration in the trivia section of the episode guide

Tzizvvt78 and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  25. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    I remember how important SEWACS ships were in Freespace, especially in that horrible nebula.

Glad to see more new assets being created, with this for the Empire, and the various ships added to the Rebel Fleet. Now if they will add the Victory and Dreadnought...