main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWNX Dueling Practices - Starting March 14 through May 30

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by BPStoyle, Mar 9, 2017.

1. BPStoyle

BPStoyle Social Media Admin star 4

Jan 5, 2010
    Hi folks!

Bill has cleared Tuesday evenings in his schedule to allow for weekly dueling practices. We are finalizing venues while the weather is still inconsistent, so depending on availability, these rehearsals will be either at the Adam's Mark Hotel or at the McKinley Mall, with locations being distributed out to you guys once we have them booked.

Ongoing Practice Time:
    Weekly on Tuesdays, 7:30-9:30pm
    • These will run every Tuesday from now until May 30 (the last Tuesday prior to SWNX)

Workshops:
    Once a Month on Saturdays (to be scheduled), ~3:00-4:30pm
    • The schedule will be posted on this thread once finalized

Dueling Practices vs. Workshops:
    Workshops are designed for additional focus on a specific aspect of the fight choreography (such as working on stance and movement, incorporating stage punches/kicks etc.). The ongoing dueling practices are

Am I Expected to Come to Every Weekly Practice?:
    What we care most about is you learning your duel(s) for the show. If that only requires a few practices to get down, then that choice is up to you. If you are new or want more time to jam, then please come and take advantage of this resource as often as you are able. We are all adults here and are responsible for balancing this commitment to perform the best show possible.

Am I Expected to Come to Every Monthly Workshop?:
    At this time we are treating the workshops as mandatory rehearsals. Please make every possible effort to attend. In the event of something major, please contact me directly either by email (found on the roster) or DM through the boards and we can discuss excused absences.

What Should I Bring to Practice?
    • Clothes you can move comfortably in (both venues would have a space to change if you need).
    • A duel-worthy lightsaber OR a bokken.*
    • Water never hurt anybody.
    *If you are planning to duel with 2 sabers, then bring 2 sabers/bokken

Dueling Practices/Workshops vs. Show Rehearsals:
    Dueling Practices are just that: a place and time to go over your duel(s) in this year's show, build up your skill set and tweak and perfect choreography techniques. We will not be incorporating the larger elements such as blocking (stage directions including entrances, exits and "traffic patterns") and coordinating with the dialogue as a whole.

There will be separate Show Rehearsals where we will plug your dueling choreography in to those larger elements to create the finished product. Show Rehearsals will begin in late April (after Easter/Celebration).

Your Responsibilities as a Duelist:
    You are in charge of keeping communications going with your dueling partner(s). If you are planning on attending a dueling practice and working on your duel, make sure that your partner is going as well. If your schedule does not allow Tuesday night availability on a regular basis, plan ahead with your partner to ensure no last-minute no-show surprises.

You are above all responsible for learning your duel choreography well enough to perform it in front of 17,000+ people.

What if Tuesdays Don't Work for Me or My Partner(s)?:
    Make sure you discuss this with your dueling partners before anything else. Then, message me either by email (found on the roster) or DM through the boards. We can *try* to make some arrangements.

Those familiar with the dueling move sets and can find time on their own to practice, please do so, but please also keep both myself and Bill appraised if you are doing this so we know that work is being done.

Please be advised that no matter what day or time was chosen, we would never find something that would work for the 40+ participants of the event on a weekly basis. We know this is going to cause scheduling issues, but we all agreed to do this show and we appreciate everyone making an effort to at least "meet us halfway" to make this work. Your duels will only look as good as the effort you put into them.

The Long Short of all this: be an adult, communicate, be responsible and have fun!

2. 72Princess1

72Princess1 President - NR star 4

Feb 27, 2015
    Read, and understood. Also, relayed to dueling boys James and Jonathan. Thank you!

BPStoyle likes this.
  3. Darth Erebus

Darth Erebus Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    for mckinley mall is it the same space that we used a few years ago for practice? that place was pretty cramped if i remember at the time and we have grown since then making space even more of an issue.

4. myhale99

myhale99 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Sounds good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BPStoyle likes this.
  5. quigonschuel

quigonschuel Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2011
    10-4. Also relayed information to Christopher.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

BPStoyle likes this.
  6. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    Are you offering an alternative?

7. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    We have scheduled out our 3 Workshops:

Saturday, March 18 (3-4:30pm)
    Saturday, April 22 (3-4:30pm)
    Saturday, May 6 (3-4:30pm)

All 3 are currently scheduled for McKinley at the time being.

These three are considered Mandatory so please message me ASAP if you are unable to attend.

8. Darth Erebus

Darth Erebus Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2012

off the top of my head, no. but practicing in a room where we will be crammed in there like sardines doesnt seem like it will make for productive practices.

9. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010

While most of us are familiar with the limitations of McKinley, it's free and generally uncontested for the times we have requested it. Larry has diligently checked Adam's Mark's availability (which is very limited), and we will be at Adam's Mark whenever it is available.

As with any previous year, any group member is welcome to research alternative locations for where we can practice. Until then we are going to work with what we have and make the best of it.

10. quigonschuel

Jun 13, 2011
    Bryan, I could check with Westminster Presbyterian Church again to see if the space we used a few years ago is available. I cannot recall if they charged us last time (methinks they did). That space is rather large.

11. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    Please feel free to look into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. TFS

TFS Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 5, 2015
    Bryan, I have read through your initial post and have concluded that it will not be possible for me to adhere to the practice/workshop schedule due to other commitments. That, coupled with my lack of an accurate "Jedi" costume/lightsaber, leads me to declare that I will decline to participate in the on-field dueling.

13. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    Thank you for letting me know, Tom. We would still love to have you as one of the Rebel/Resistance Commandos that face Vader during the show, but that will require far less of your time.

14. Lee Solara

Lee Solara North Ridge Secretary star 2

Oct 30, 2013
    Those should work for the Reynolds. Thank you.

15. quigonschuel

Jun 13, 2011
    Sent email to my contact at the church, copied Anna and Chris. Awaiting a response at this time.

16. quigonschuel

Jun 13, 2011
    Room is already booked for Tuesday PM. Sorry guys...

17. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    Marty and I will be there Saturday 3/18 as per out conversation today.

BPStoyle likes this.
  18. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    Per his note in the Facebook group chat, Bill has canceled tonight's practice due to the State of Emergency.

Wild Sidewalker likes this.
  19. quigonschuel

Jun 13, 2011

Never got the FB group chat message...appreciate the heads-up however!

20. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    There's a state of emergency? I'm at work...

21. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Is it okay to use this thread to post info the clinics and workshops or can I start a separate thread?

22. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    Let's use this thread

72Princess1 and quigonschuel like this.
  23. jwnikita

jwnikita Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 25, 2016
    So for practices and workshops, should we wear any parts of our costumes that may hinder or restrict movement. especially if we haven't dueled in it before?

24. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    That would be recommended since you'll be wearing it the night of, and would need to know if you can do the moves or not and have to alter your routine.

quigonschuel likes this.
  25. myhale99

myhale99 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    I'm good for these dates and will be there, barring any extreme exceptions, along with Katherine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk