main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "There's More Than One King" - The MonsterVerse [Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004

Yeah, this one I dub Apeocalypse Now.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Here's a clip. I liked the trailer, I don't care for this.

3. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Hmm, I'm all for a good monster throw down, as I'm certainly not paying $9.00 to watch Tom Hiddleston run through the jungle for 2 hrs., but the deciding factor will be if the movie can make me care who wins. I'm obviously predisposed to root for Kong, but can they make him sympathetic? A real character, and not just the hairy dude that shows up when it's clobberin' time (That would be Mr. John C. Reilly).

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I'm willing to watch Tom run through a jungle for a couple hours, monsters is just icing on that cake. ;)

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  6. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Certified Fresh on RT with an 80%, this is looking good :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

[​IMG]

SuperWatto, Juke Skywalker and Sarge like this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Enjoyed this one quite a bit. John C Reilly ended up being a great part of the movie (was concerned he might be too silly of a comic relief based on the trailer but the ants line won me over fully, lol).

Plenty of little tidbits of interest as well. Stay after the credits (though try not to read the credits at the end because they actually spoil the stinger!).

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I saw this today. It is far better than the trailers make it look. They saved the good stuff for the movie.

The characters are a step above cardboard in that they are not terribly deep but acted well enough that you care. As 2ndQuest says not only is John C Reilly not just a silly comic relief he is not cardboard like the rest. I want to elaborate more but it'd spoil a good moment. Brie Larson is a photographer and she has a cool scene with the...

The human inhabitants in taking their pictures. This is also a nice switch where they are not hostile.

The monster fight action is not as good as Godzilla but it is not bad at all. I do hope they look to the way they made the creatures move in Godzilla when they make more.

We were all talking about the size difference between Godzilla and Kong. Well, there is what is almost a throw away line:

"He not done growing yet
    Very nice.

There were a few editing problems and the beginning is rushed but perhaps they figured we had all scene the "getting there" enough to just get through it.

I got a great thrill out of that post credits scene. EXCELLENT.

I saw in the credits it was filmed in Hawaii. Real or cgi this movie is frankly quite beautiful. There are some stunning shots in this.

Even if the monster action for the next film is like this one instead of Godzilla it will be fun!

There is no stand out protagonist. Tom Hiddleston does some heroic things and a leader moment or two but is just a part of the group.

Do I seem exuberant? I was not expecting to like it. I was pleasantly surprised.

There is no doubt as to the best line in the movie.

"Bitch please!

Rylo Ken and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  10. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I really dig this one. Saw an early showing on Friday and had a blast. It's pretty intense too, and really pushes the Pg-13 rating. I thought it was gorgeous to look at, and I hope we see more of these characters and the director.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It made over 50 million this weekend.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The one downside is they don't really do any that my in the movie. John C Reilly could have been living in a safe village he made by himself and it wouldn't have affected the story at all beyond visuals.

The fights are good but, I agree, they're not as good as Godzilla. The V-Rex fight in Jackson's King Kong was definitely the superior fight.

One downside, unfortunately, is that the surviving characters here can't link up in the modern day Godzilla films without being severely aged.

Nah, the winner was
    "Hear that?Thats the ants. Tey sound like birds. But they're ****ing ants."

AndyLGR likes this.
  14. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Kong is magnificent. It lacks the artsy pretensions, interminable duration and occasionally misfiring visual effects of Jackson's Kong. Also it's just so much fun. Maybe John Goodman's character is a bit underwritten and surprisingly underplayed by him, but otherwise the movie works beautifully on its own terms as a cross between Kong, Apocalypse Now and Journey to the Center of the Earth.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I thought Kong: Skull Island was a great movie and a very welcomed addition to the kaiju genre. I mean, it is what a giant monster film is suppose to be; not take itself too seriously, a spectacle with thrilling moments and great action. Skull Island delivers a well paced and fun film that should be seen on a big screen to experience the size and scope of the characters.

The film does the most important for a kaiju film, and that's actually make Kong a character in the film, rather than just a force of nature. John C. Reilly does a wonderful job in a supporting character to Kong.

Jedi Daniel and Rylo Ken like this.
  16. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I know this is an extremely rudimentary beef with many kaiju movies, but there's no excuse for getting it wrong with the vast array of 21st century digital effects: making the audience appreciate the scale of the monsters. Pacific Rim utterly screwed the pooch on this, in my view, but Kong gets it right. Vogt-Roberts pays attention to scale as a *yuge* part of what makes giant monster movies fun: the giant monsters are giant. They're big. Always never forget to sell their bigness!

And Skull Island never forgets to do this. It's always there, showing us the human perspective of vastly big beasts going at it. This movie hit my "King Kong vs. Godzilla" nostalgia button with a giant kaiju-sized hammer.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i haven't seen this yet but i am enjoying the ad campaign.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    From what I can tell from this thread most really like it! I plan to see it the 22nd !!!!!!!!!

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  19. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Saw it this past weekend. Glad I saw it on the big screen and loved it. The cinematography was gorgeous to look at, the colours just popped out. Henry Jackman's OST and the 70's inspired rock songs were spot on, all the actors did a fine job in their roles but I think John C. Reilly was the stand out. The main reason though we buy a ticket is to see monsters fighting and this is full on throughout. I had the biggest grin watching this. Highly recommend seeing this in cinemas :)

20. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

I totally agree with everything you said, saw this today and loved it! better then Gareth Edwards Godzilla!

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  21. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I too think it was better than Godzilla 2014 and I love that movie. I just think the main thing going against it was that it's a slow burn where as Kong wasn't.

22. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

better Actors in Kong and better cinematography in Kong. In Godzilla they shouldn't have killed off Cranston's character so soon in the movie he was the best Actor in the movie!

ShaneP and Jedi Daniel like this.
  23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  24. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    It's not connected to the MonsterVerse however.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    But seems to be connected to the original film. How bizarre.