main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Poe Dameron #7-13: The Gathering Storm (7/7 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 20, 2016.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    He doesn't have a plan, he has parts of a plan!

Kylun likes this.
  3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    What percent of a plan, though?

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    12 per cent?

5. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    So looks like the Poe series will likely end at issue #19 (to complete the third arc) since Soule is going to be writing the newly announced Vader comic set immediately after ROTS.

Be interesting to see if the last arc feels a bit rushed in order to tie everything up or if this was always the story that Soule would have intended it to be.

This series often did feel like it was just jogging in place many times but I will be slightly dissapointed that we won't be hearing much more from characters like Jess Pava and the other members of Poe's squadron.

Unless those characters have more of an impact on Ep. VIII than they did on VII this was probably the best chance to see much development for characters like that.

6. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm expecting that the adventures of Black Squadron will continue once TLJ is out and the whole restriction on going past TFA is lifted. (I can't imagine that From His Nap will also pick up immediately afterward).

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    In all, the Poe series has disappointed me considerably. Too slow, too safe, too predictable. I would have preferred it was set pre-Poe joining the Resistance, if for nothing else that we could have stories about his time in the NRDF.

--Adm. Nick

Ben09, Senpezeco, spicer and 2 others like this.
  8. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    It's the same for me - also this Poe is quite... an annoying guy.
    A missed opportunity.

9. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah. They probably shouldn't have done a Poe series until after Ep. VIII was out but I could also see why they would want to build a series right away around a ST character. They obviously aren't being allowed to make one centered around Rey, Ben, Finn, or Luke at this time so Poe was the obvious choice.

Like AdmiralNick22 said if we had to have a Poe series at this time it would have been good for it to take place earlier in the timeline when Poe was just becoming a fighter pilot but I can also see the reasons for wanting the Poe in the series to resemble the Poe Dameron from TFA as much as possible.

10. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    While the series hasn't really lived up to its potential, as I said before, I don't think that's just because of the limitations - I could easily imagine how to work within them to really deepen the era.

I do agree that Poe's characterization has seemed a bit off. Maybe I'm being influenced by Soule having also done Lando, but I feel like he's got down the swagger, but not as much Poe's more idealistic side.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Vthuil I think that might have been why he chose to give us a lot of flashbacks in this second arc with Terex. As a way for the series to do a bit of world building since it was being handcuffed quite a bit in the current timeline and not able to look forward too much.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  12. Ben09

Ben09 Jedi Knight

Jun 18, 2016
    Agreed. And it hasn't hurt that terex is such an fun character :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Jam Lacobus

Jam Lacobus Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 4, 2015
    Soule confirmed on twitter that this arc ends on issue #13 btw

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/darth-vader-comic-set-after-rots.50044567/page-2#post-54191379

Poe's not dead. Well, not yet.

In any case, Soule writes fast! The dude combines comic writing and practicing law! He can do two ongoings easily.

Kylun likes this.
  15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I wouldn't expect Poe to last too much longer though. As it looks like Soule is set to do an X-Men series as well.

http://comicsalliance.com/astonishing-x-men-charles-soule/

They may try to finish the storyline as planned (with Poe finding Tekka) but I would be very surprised if this time next year the Poe series is still going. I guess it is possible he already has the entire Poe series written and would only need to do minor touchups here and there before the issues release.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Or they do what has been done since time immemorial and simply get someone else to write it.

The thing is Jammin I've lost count of the times you've posted here that's the book's getting axed, it keeps going, you keep saying it'll be axed, even after the guy running the line says nothing is planned, you move to: Well it'll be next year then. What did this book do to you? Did Poe run over your cat or piss in your cereal? It must be something horrific.

Kylun and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  17. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Jedi Ben. Lol. No. I actually like the book. However it seems like Marvel is wanting to tell more contained stories that give us specific arcs even within the ongoings (in this case Poe finding Tekka) and once those arcs are over they move onto a different series. Instead of having a series go on simply just to have it continue.

Even the regular line has a specific story to tell in that it is giving us the adventures of Han, Luke, and Leia during the time of the OT.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm all for a book not outstaying its welcome, but neither do I want to see a title end prematurely, which really smarts.

(Alas, some of us are not yet over Agent of the Empire's all too early demise.)

Dr. Steve Brule and Kylun like this.
  19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah the way I am viewing it though is that Ep. VIII potentially will open up the floodgates quite a bit. They may be able to start telling stories about Luke's acadamey and also Rey's early days on Jakku if her parentage question gets answered in TLJ.

Come spring/summer 2018 I wouldn't be surprised if we have the Star Wars line still going, A Ben Solo ongoing, and a Rey ongoing.

They potentially could be planning on expanding the number of titles they have out but even with that we obviously have the new Vader series coming up and I think Aphra has more story left to tell than Poe does at this point.

20. Ben09

Ben09 Jedi Knight

Jun 18, 2016
    Yeah I was thinking that as well–when you have as many ongoings as Soule does, just going ahead and writing out the entire thing would be logical.

21. jeykey

jeykey Jedi Master

Jun 27, 2013
    in #12 C3-P0 finally get his moment of glory

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, catching up on this current arc before grabbing today's issue (local shop's shipments arriving late due to the blizzard this week). But, since it's been 6 months or so since i last read the series, my recollection of some connections to the previous arcs might be a little fuzzy. Still, thoughts:

#7: I liked the different art style for this. a little strange that, arc-numbering-wise, this is a null or zero-issue to this new story arc (since #8 is actually Part I). Have we seen that new white A-Wing before? The fake-out about Starkiller Base is a bit too much of a tease for the reader, IMO. I did like the journalist aspect of it though.

#8: Dig the Jakku flashback origins for Terex. Pleased to see a Shoretrooper helmet in Terex's collection, as well as his awesome samuraitrooper setup. Reminds me of a stormtrooper crossed with General Kael from Willow. His improv'd AT-X-TIE is an interesting Ugly for sure as well.

Threepio's arm here (if we haven't seen it before in previous arcs) makes the timeline relationship between this series, the 3PO one-shot and TFA more clear on a visual level. I'm also loving how this expands on Threepio's droid spymaster role in TFA that is such a cool development detail for the character yet was criminally understated/present in the film itself. So, getting to really explore that part of his function is a real treat here.

#9: Following that thread, Poe's commentary on how they should be calling Threepio "Master" plays very well into TFA's treatment of OT-era events as in-universe legends. And Threepio inadvertedly uniting the gangs that go after Solo in TFA is freaking hilarious. Please let some source show an off-screen scene of Han finding out about that before he heads off to Starkiller Base. [face_praying]

#10: This cover must be captioned "Check, please.". Being in the midst of reading Tarkin at the moment (hey, I'm trying to catch up), it's cool to have the Carrion Spike "post-origins" connecting to this story (even if it obviously was present in previous arcs)..

#11: The Spike kinda reminds me of a larger version of fhe Cruisemissle Trooper toy in closed-up configuration).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oddy's "I'm in love" declaration was awesomely random. For a moment, given that he's a tech, I expected his "love" to be for the Carrion Spike itself. Fleet Junkies- what canyadoright?

Overall, I'm really loving this story arc- not only is it definitely better than the first one/two but it actually feels like an essential setup for TFA (in particular for Threepio, but also for First Order/Jakku backstory and the Han gag). Assuming the finale sticks the landing, I'd definitely recommend people giving this arc a read even if they skip the first one/two of the series.

Kylun likes this.
  23. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Threepio has been the best thing about this latest arc. I love the development this era is giving him.

24. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Wasn't a bad issue.

25. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Technically there is only one character in TFA that treats the events of the OT as a 'legend' or a 'myth' and that is Rey. Most everyone else seems very aware of the events that took place. Even Finn who grew up within the First Order (who would have a reason to cover up the Rebellions victory) seems quite knowledgeable of things that happened 30-35 years earlier.