main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Rogue One #1-6 (Comic Book Adaptation) (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by starocean90, Jan 12, 2017.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Bummer, that art isn't doing anything for me. Considering all the awesome fleet stuff that occurs in Rogue One, I wish they hired Dustin Weaver, who drew scenes like this back in the day for Dark Horse Comics:

[​IMG]

Of course, art is always in the eye of the behold, so I guess it really is subjective.

--Adm. Nick

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I don't mind the art. This is not KOTOR-chipmunks. But I'm not an artist so what do I know.

What I'm most interested in is the possibility, based on that one Saw page, that we're going to get at least a few scenes not in the film. That would be awesome - this comic might even expand on the Catalyst book, like a longer scene with Krennic and Erso family on Coruscant.

3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Marvel wouldn't even need to hire him, since they snatched him up years ago... pretty sure that was why he never did anything past KOTOR's halfway mark.

4. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    What I wouldn't give to get more Dustin Weaver's work. His art would fit in well in Dr Aphra book imo.

Revanfan1 and spicer like this.
  5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Would Marvel bother doing anything nice for a movie adaptation, especially one so late? I fondly remember Dark Horse's RotS adaptation (by Wheatley if I remember right) which I think came out the same week as the movie. Maybe? This and TFA are way too late to care about it, really.

Has Weaver drawn anything for Marvel lately? I remember he drew part of Infinity, but that was just another stupid Marvel comic event (well, saying stupid Marvel event is redundant, but still), so kind of a waste of his talent.

It would be wonderful to see him back on Star Wars, but that depends on if the Star Wars comics have any good fleet shots for him. The Han Solo series had plenty of nice ships during that big race, but haven't bothered to keep up with the main title much, so no idea what's going on there.

redxavier likes this.
  6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I'd love to have Weaver back on Star Wars, the KOTOR issues drawn by him are the prettiest that series has been imo.

Revanfan1 and Amon_Amarth like this.
  7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yes, Weaver's work is always completely on point.

spicer likes this.
  8. Jam Lacobus

Jam Lacobus Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 4, 2015
    Won't say too much as it's still early over there in the US and I can't remember how to do spoiler tags on Tapatalk but how they have approached this comic is perfect. Such a great antidote to the lacklustre Force Awakens adaptation. This one is cracker.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    No crawl, no problem. It jumps right into the story and I love the extra stuff that adds to the story and I'm glad they cut stuff too. Very good issue.

BTW, do we need to spoiler mark anything since Rogue One has been released in theaters, digitally, and disk?

10. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    A much better adaptation than TFA, although I'm not really a fan of the art. They didn't capture Krennic's likeness at all, and Jyn seems traced, particularly in the Alliance Council scene. Some tidbits, spoiler'd just in case:

• The credits page is done in the style of the Ultimate Visual Guide, which is nice. No crawl, obviously.
    • The "Fifteen Years Ago" thing is repeated as a caption. Oh, well.
    • A scene with Galen asking Bodhi to deliver his message on Eadu. Short, but a nice insight. "You can't unask a question. You can only move forward with what you have learned."
    • Some extra Wobani stuff. Jyn has a 20-year sentence. The Nail "do you want a warning" scene from the novel is adapted.
    • Nice overhead shot of Jedha City. A scene showing Bodhi giving himself up to Saw's gang, with Beezer Fortuna featured.
    • The Ring of Kafrene scene is topped and tailed with Cassian's arrival and stormtroopers discovering Tivik's body.
    • Extra Turbo Tank stuff. Jyn's leap for freedom is nice. Extra conversation between Jyn and her rescuers, but it doesn't really add anything.
    • Mon Mothma introduces herself, tells Jyn she authorized her escape. Jyn replies, "There's a bounty on your head," which makes her a bit spikier than in the film.
    • A flashback to Bald!Saw leaving Jyn with a blaster. From the novel (IIRC) it sounded like Jyn was holed up somewhere during fighting, and Saw never came back for her, but here there's no real context other than him walking out of a room she's in. Strange to keep it vague, unless that story's being saved up.
    • Mon calls Bail by name twice in the same sentence. Odd script error. But a nice enough conversation between them.
    • Shows Jyn pick-pocketing her blaster from a random Rebel.
    • Nice hero shot of the U-wing. A pity the Ghost isn't visible in the background of the Yavin scenes. The gas giant is oddly grey instead of red as the U-wing departs.
    • The Star Destroyer Krennic meets Tarkin aboard is the Executrix. I can't recall if that was confirmed previously, though it's a nice nod. The likenesses are terrible, and the Death Star looks incredibly simply-drawn compared with the cutaway during the Rebel briefing scene. It looks like a different artist did this scene.
    • A nice intro to Chirrut and Baze, with Chirrut apparently sensing something (Jyn's imminent arrival) through the Force while intoning his mantra. Although it's written ambiguously, it does seem to suggest Chirrut is able to genuinely sense things with the Force in the manner of a Jedi, instead of simply enhancing his natural abilities.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Weaver must finish SHIELD then, and only then, can he return to SW!

And yeah, having been hoovered up by Marvel, it's a shame they haven't put him on SW given his experience.

JoinTheSchwarz , spicer and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Glad to see that there was some actual new content in this issue and will be in future issues as well and isn't just going to be a word for word adaption like the TFA comic was. Still not a big fan of getting comics of stories I already know but the few snippets of new info make it at least worthwhile to have them.

13. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Glad that the first issue was more of a supplement to the movie rather than a copy paste like the TFA adaptation was. I hope the rest is like this, otherwise, it's completely pointless to literally adapt a movie into a comic.

Daneira likes this.
  14. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    I really liked it and I think the word "suplement" fits this comics very well. I found that bit about Galen and Bodhi especially interesting. So I want to know more and I am surprised how well the story was told in it.

Taalcon likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Good to see more Bail.

I really hope the next issue really extends the Coruscant flashback. I ask for so little.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Vialco and Daneira like this.
  16. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Was alright, added some more depth in character development . Tarkin and Krennic artwise are pretty bad in accuracy likeness.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

Dagobahsystem, Gamiel and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    I liked the issue for expanding on some off-screen moments unlike the TFA one which was just a summary of the film and had no value whatsoever.

19. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    We've had straight-up adaptations of films to comic form for, what, forty, fifty years? What's with all the hate now?

20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've gotten the impression that in the past, they were considered more valuable because it wasn't possible to easily rewatch a film at home, especially right away.

Daneira and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Maybe also that fans are clamouring for further information now more than ever. The prequels weren't so open-ended in regards to the future as The Force Awakens is, so I suppose any adaptations are seen as avenues for expanding the story and gleaning additional details and hints.

22. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I want this to end with Rogue One escaping.

:)

23. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Battlefront Hero Battles seem to exist in a universe where the cast survives. We can hope.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    JediBatman likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Cool to see the extra stuff in the issue and I like how Edwards did the afterword, basically saying "yeah this is stuff that we wanted to get in but it'd be 5 hours". Interesting to see how Bodhi first came upon Saw's group and I liked his hands up yelling, closes his eyes, opens one to make sure he wasn't blasted. The notion that Jyn's cellmate was gunning for her was cool, however, I wish there had been a tag in her "escape" scene where he got his comeupance. The art for the tech is good, the art for Galen ... yikes! But that's really my only gripe about it. I actually liked how the writer moved around Cassian's assassination order to be the cliffhanger button to the scene that he's reflecting on it in the ship as opposed to how it played out as a small side scene, that could have worked in the movie too. And, hey, ending with Baze and Chriutt is always fun.

JediBatman likes this.