main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dark Horse comics that connect with Classic Star Wars (Marvel)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by unironically, Mar 12, 2017.

1. unironically

unironically Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2017
    So I became aware of Shadow Stalker sort of loosely acting as a prequel to the "Iceworld" comic strip (in regards to the human replica droids). This got me curious about other connections, no matter how weak or contrived. Maybe there's a list somewhere? Wookieepedia hasn't been very helpful in regards to this and is generally questionable in my experience when it comes chronological matters.

Would any well-informed people like to comment?

2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Numerous minor EU villains were retconned into being "Blackhole" from the early Russ Manning "Gambler's World" strip.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Fenn Shysa appeared a bit in Traviss's later CW novel 501st. That could be thought of as a "prequel" to his Classic Star Wars comic appearance.

Skyewalkers could be thought of as a prequel to the Marvel Star Wars Annual 1: The Lone Hunt story - showing how Kharys, the villain of that story, first met Anakin when he was young, and how Anakin & Obi-Wan saved the planet Skye, as The Lone Hunt alludes to.

There's probably a few other "prequel to Classic Star Wars" stories out there - even if not necessarily comics.

4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Nope, just Cronal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Might as well put this question here instead of bringing up an entirely new thread. How much different were the characters of Luke, Han, and Leia in the early years of of the marvel comics line from what they ended up turning into in the OT? Were Luke and Leia more an item in the early years since it would have been before anyone knew that they were brother and sister? Also were their personalities quite a bit different?

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

As TV Tropes puts it:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/YMMV/MarvelStarWars

Hilarious in Hindsight:
    • A lot of letters to the editor come off rather funny now that the films are complete. One in particular is from #24 where a complaint is that "Luke and Leia act more like older brother and sister than sweethearts."
    That said, Leia does seem very jealous when anyone else flirts with Luke. And, even after TESB, unsure if she's in love with Han or not.

7. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The way I look at it is that each era or incarnation of the star wars comics followed the trip of the time. Marvel's first run along with Ewoks and Droids were of the campy fun and told stories that did not cross the movies. The newspapers strips were better (Both Williamson and Manning) and when combined with Marvel's first run it was very good. Dark Horse took over the license and really went in a different. They started the timeline series, and created story after story with new characters, but in the star wars universe. Many loved it, while some became resistant, but overall they where so damn good comics. Now Marvel got the second iteration of the series and they are telling good stories. The difference with them is now they have access to everything and everyone that the others did not. In one way or another, the others had limits, while Marvel has the full cooperation of everyone. That's how I look it and no matter, I still love all of them and consider them one star wars. Too me, there really isn't no new or improved, or official story. They are all official to me.

8. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    There were actually three: Cronal, Lord Shadowspawn, and "Perek" from a Star Wars Tales story (and there might have been a fourth, Atha Prime, had Polyhedron magazine not been cancelled before an article identifying Shadowspawn as Atha Prime could be published). Cronal's Wookieepedia page tells the sordid, retcon-laden tale.

MercenaryAce, jSarek and LelalMekha like this.
  9. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Yinchorr first appeared in Marvel comics, and later in Crimson Empire.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  10. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Hence my usual "Snoke is Cronal" / "Rey is Cronal" / "Everyone is Cronal" / We're all Cronal".

11. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    "YOU get to be Cronal! YOU get to be Cronal! Everybody gets to be Cronal!!!"

[​IMG]

12. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

Less surprising considering the author.

13. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    The OP seems to be asking specifically about Dark Horse and specifically about classic Marvel, so I'm not sure a lot of these examples are what he's looking for, Yinchorr notwithstanding.

That said, there are still a *lot* of examples. Just off the top of my head:

*There are prominent Nagai and Zeltron characters in Legacy.
    *Tyluun Night-Soarers featured in both the Knights of the Old Republic and Knight Errant series.
    *The Wheel shows up in a number of comics.
    *Centares is an important location in Vader's Quest.
    *Metalorn shows up in Clone Wars Adventures, and gets mentioned elsewhere.
    *Grubbat Fhilch, a Lepus carnivorous like Jaxxon, shows up in Star Wars Tales.
    *In Boba Fett: Twin Engines of Destruction, Fett says to Jodo Kast, "You're no one! Not Dala, not Shysa, nobody!"
    *A cityscape seen in a flashback in Marvel Star Wars #16 was retconned to be Nar Shaddaa.
    *Senator Simon Greyshade makes an appearance in Star Wars Republic.

14. unironically

unironically Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2017
    Most of the replies so far have been very helpful, but yeah DH and classic Marvel were my focus.

I have been sort of working on a timeline/reading list of all the old eu comics that ended in 2014, in digital format with eras and dates and kept finding out that various things don't add up. What's even worse is that this timeline I'm creating for myself features a lot of comics I hadn't read so that meant additional researching of various details. I also wanted to make it a bit more fun by adding every single 'Tale' in there (even the crazier ones) and that took a fair bit of time since I had to make a separate .cbr/.cbz of each one and then carefully make sure they're accurately placed among all the more canonical stories. I also had to do this for a lot of Omnibus stuff and other loose stories.

Initially I figured I'll just copy the legends comics timeline on Wook, but like most fans no doubt know, it's unfortunately a much more complicated process. There are some unavoidable gaps in continuity, but I'm pretty happy with the way I've sorted the whole thing out. The most annoying bit was checking through each Tale one by one since I wanted them all in there. Wookieepedia leaves out a quite a few of them and in general didn't really turn out to be as intricate as I would have liked, so I used it as a a rough base and smoothed out the more glaring issues with help from a "complete saga" timeline on starwarstimeline.net. Even then, there was some stuff on both timelines that I couldn't find an answer for and had to go with personal taste.

This thread has been great for stuff like double checking which character shows up on which comic, which lets me look at the list and see if what I have done makes sense and if the timelines I've used as reference make sense. I sort of want to understand the reasoning behind the timelines I'm borrowing from, so that I know what I'm doing when I'm making my own customizations. So thank you for that and do keep posting if anything comes to mind.

I am aware it's a bit crazy for someone to bother with this when they haven't actually read every single comic in the timeline they're creating, so obviously the final test would more or less be a read through of the thing and keep adding finishing touches till it's as good as it can be for a (now finite) timeline with an actual beginning and an end. Irregardless of how I think the first version turns out, I've had a massive hard-on while working on it from figuring out or reading other peoples solutions for continuity puzzles for the first time. Time definitely seems to stretch in the EU, but you could say it's almost a flaw that I'm glad exists.

jSarek likes this.
  15. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    I would say Marvel's first run started out as campy fun but moved away from that as it progressed. especially the Micheline/Williamson issues. Yes Ewok and Droids returned to that but they were from the Star Line of comics specifically aimed at younger readers (because Marvel forgot that they should be writing super heros as all age comics (different argument I know))