main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Aftermath: Empire's End (book 3) by Chuck Wendig

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Jan 1, 2017.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Surely Mothra would be the more appropriate one to photoshop?

PCCViking, vncredleader and Ghost like this.
  2. bdh1138

bdh1138 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 24, 2015
    "Many Kaiju died to bring us this information"

[​IMG]

Admittedly not the best job, but I made it a couple years ago and I didn't feel like redoing something this dumb :p

3. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Wait you did this before? Let ,me guess, this exact conversation came up when talking to Jello?

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ah, but it should be Mothma's face on the Mothman! :p

5. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    It would be best to put her face on Killer Moth's body. Then again that might be to dignified for her in Jello's eyes.

6. ZY-Fighter

ZY-Fighter Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    I enjoyed the book and will need to re-read it (raced through as I wanted to know what happened) but man oh man was I unsatisfied. I really wish the first one had been tagged "Journey From Return Of The Jedi", the marketing really set up the trilogy as a bridge between trilogies. I expected it to cover more than, what, a year?

What's up with the Acolytes? How was the First Order formed? What happened to Han and Leia's marriage? What's Luke up to?

So many questions, such an empty feeling after reading this much-anticipated book. I feel I'll appreciate TLJ even more now.

Miles Lodson, Chris_Fives and Vialco like this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    See: Bloodline. And TFA.

Jedi Jessy and ZY-Fighter like this.
  8. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    "Many Mothmans died to bring us this information."

9. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Break out the Mothma "Typical Jello" meme, kids...

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  10. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Having a snow day let me listen to a larger chunk today than I normally would have.

Chapter 12
    • “The Empire is a corrosive force eating at everyone and everything.” – That was one of the best things I have seen from Wendig. What an apt description.
    Chapter 13
    • Jas is awesome. I really liked the fight between her and Swift.
    • I don’t know Embo, but that scene really helped me to understand just how difficult voice actors have it! If Marc Thompson didn’t know all the characters who have already been verbalized, he would have to research their voices and tones; their quirks and articulations. Even though I don’t know Embo, I know Thompson has done a fantastic job.
    • Swift isn’t bringing the history in; Wendig is ;)

Interlude: Tatooine

• Wow. That was actually interesting. When I get access to the book, I’m going to reread that, because [for once] I enjoyed that interlude quite a bit. I actually wouldn’t mind a short story about what was going on, on Tatooine, during this time. Or a series of short stories: Tales from Tatooine!
    • @GrandAdmiralJello I agree - I hate sand!

vncredleader likes this.
  11. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Roger that, Mothma meme en route
    [​IMG]

12. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Chapter 14
    • Wait…that really WAS Bones on Jakku? Oh. I feel like the guard’s dismemberment of Bones and reaction overall were too extreme for the given moment.
    • Should’ve known Bones would meld back together.

Chapter 15
    • I find it interesting that Thompson has made Rax sound a bit like Palpatine. And the written description of Rax is very much like Palps. We can really see that the former Emperor was a great influence on Rax.
    • We most definitely see how, like Palpatine, Rax has long-term goals and is clearly beginning creating troops for a First Order. He even has an aptitude towards influencing children. Granted, he’s always been amiable towards them, even as a child himself, but I still find the parallels interesting. Actually, I like those parallels better than the parallels between TFA and ANH.
    • The scene with the Anchorite was devastating. Not surprised about Rax’s actions, but it’s still very sad.
    • Tashu gives me the creeps.

Chapter 16
    • Quite interesting to see how Brentin looks for something to fight for while Sloane simply wants revenge. It’s not surprising, but the dynamic between them is something that interests me.
    • When Sloane grabbed Brentin, I was kind of reminded of how Finn grabs Rey in TFA.

Interlude: Christophis
    • Oh yay, a Church of the Force.
    • I find it strange a droid is considered a pilgrim.
    • Loved hearing an entry from Journal of the Whills.
    • It makes me sad that the only colors of the Kyber crystals are red, green, and blue.
    • It’s great to see names like Galen, Jyn, and even Tarkin.

Chapter 17

• Jas, telling Norra that you found Sloane was a bad idea.
    • How does one shrug with their eyes???

vncredleader likes this.
  13. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Okay, after mistakenly posting this in the wrong thread, I'm gonna see if this has any more traction in the RIGHT thread.

At any rate, from page 274, American hardcover edition:
    Jim Henson's Phasma Babies?

We have no idea of Phasma's age, but she certainly gives the impression of someone closer to thirty-five than to thirty, so this very well COULD be her. And considering the general rarity of girls in the saga who happen to be tall enough for that tallness to itself be worth mentioning, that too points in Phasma's direction.

That could imply a LOT about Phasma's background if it turns out to be the case.

vncredleader likes this.
  14. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017
    Was anyone else puzzled by the book stating the Battle of Jakku lasted 'weeks to months'? I could see ground operations taking that long, but it sounded like the space battle lasted that long. How would that work?

I saw that too and it's almost certainly a young Phasma.

15. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I think the battle lasting longer is exclusive to the ground portion. Once the ISD blockade is breached and the Ravager lost, the New Republic fleet's superior numbers would overcome the Empire quickly. I suppose it's possible that isolated space engagements happened for a few more days (ships arriving late, suicidal attacks, etc), but it would be mostly over rather quickly.

The ground battle... that would be a hellish slog for sure.

--Adm. Nick

16. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I started it yesterday and am halfway through chapter 9 and am loving it! I think it'll give us so many answers regarding TFA and almost wish I read faster so I could finish it, not because it's not good I just got to know! lol

17. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Yeah, don't expect TOO many answers regarding TFA...

ZY-Fighter likes this.
  18. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    That Mothma meme is just glorious. One of the best things to come out of R1.

ZY-Fighter, vncredleader and Ghost like this.
  19. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    I feel like up until Episode IX we will be getting only small tidbits.

Full exploration of that period will come after 2019.

ZY-Fighter likes this.
  20. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017

I would think its the ground portion, but the way it was written it sounded like the space battle lasted that long too, but that doesn't seem possible. As you said, once the Imperial defensive position is breached and the Ravager is gone the Republic is free to pick apart the remaining ships at its leisure.

Actually, I can't see the ground portion lasting all that long either. The Imperial troops would be entirely reliant on existing supplies, there's minimal natural cover and there's no civilian population to blend into.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The ground troops can fight to the end. Rax demands no less. Food? For the Empire, the strongest will consume the weakest. Hail Rax!

BigAl6ft6, Vthuil and vncredleader like this.
  22. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    It took me a sec to realize just how dark that comment is.

Zer0, Jedi Ben and ZY-Fighter like this.
  23. ZY-Fighter

ZY-Fighter Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    Chris_Fives: I Liked your comment because of the truth in it, not because I'm excited about waiting. Sigh.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Finally finished the book but I'm not reading 50 pages of this thread so I'll just leave this here as the entirety of my reaction.

[​IMG]

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000