main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Good response, thanks

I had forgotten that First Class was a reboot of sorts, which makes it easier to have the dividing point at Iron Man.

Why Ghost Rider as the end of the "Great Power" era? There's FF: Silver Surfer and Spiderman 3 that same year which, imo, should belong in that same grouping. Spiderman 3 is also the last one before Iron Man.

Valryk I think Avengers may be less of a superhero inflection point and more of a movies in general one. It showed that cinematic universes could be very successful and we're seeing a number of studios attempt similar things outside of the superhero genre.

jSarek likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, but neither Troy nor Legends of Troy were made by the Ancient Greeks :p

That game is terrible, by the way. I liked the Trojan costumes -- Hector and Aeneas in particular -- but it was so bad.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    On this topic, Empires of Islam in Renaissance Historical Thought is a great monograph on how late medieval/early modern Europeans dealt with Greek legends of the Trojans and the East in their studies of the origins and culture of the Ottoman Turks, first assuming that the Turks were in fact the Trojans and combing through classical sources to collate the two, before eventually realizing that they had to let go of that assumption.

jSarek, MercenaryAce and BobaMatt like this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Who, lets face it, is just a matter of time before he's cast in an MCU film or series.

AdmiralWesJanson and jSarek like this.
  5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    They should have asked the Turks.

6. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Well, there were a few reasons why European scholars in the 15th century would have difficulty doing that. But also, the Turks themselves at the time didn't have a single view of their origins, and were also heavily influenced by both classical Greek legends and the historical worldview laid out in the Koran.

CaptainPeabody and BobaMatt like this.
  7. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    For the sole reason that I got the order they came out mixed up in my head; while I did do some fact-checking while I was writing, I wasn't being meticulous about it. Consider my post revised. Spiderman 3 even makes for a better dividing point thematically. (Similarly, if I've forgotten any films between Blade and X-Men, the last of them would probably serve as the wrap point for the "Man Can Fly" era.)

Absolutely. I think it was common understanding that DC would try to set up a cinematic universe within the first year of Marvel's Phase One. They tried to kick off their cinematic universe with Green Lantern (2011), which premiered the year before The Avengers came out, but it was such a stinker they went back to the drawing board. But I doubt we'd be seeing the rebooted Universal Horror cinematic universe, or the Legendary Godzilla/Kong 'verse, without the phenomenal success demonstrated by The Avengers.

While they're at it, they can ask why Constantinople got the works.

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

What would you call then the Donner Superman and Burton/Schuemocker (Butchered that name) era of Superhero films in terms of a theme?

9. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd actually shift Blade into the X-Men era. It was the start of the renewed Marvel theatrical efforts and success- and Blade 2 definitely played a significant role in the same X2/Spider-Man 2 era of kick-ass sequels. Blade 1 may have been a softer hit than X-Men (for obvious reasons) but much like how Iron Man 1 was a softer hit compared to The Avengers, it still kicked things off.

It also gives you a pretty clean break between the post-Batman & Robin fallout of comic book flicks (Steel and Spawn, despite some intentions to the contrary, were still very much of the older mold) and the new, revitalized era.

vncredleader and jSarek like this.
  11. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I think that's a perfectly reasonable analysis. Consider this another revision of my post.

vncredleader and The2ndQuest like this.
  12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Problems with vanilla CK2 that I forgot about because mods are the best:

"Kinslaying" being "Any member of your House slaying, no matter how distant a relative the person is". I just executed a guy who isn't even a fifth cousin and the game is acting like I killed my brother.

Which I guess I did, in a way, since he was my brother-in-law. But that's exactly why I killed him. Because he was my brother-in-law up until he had my sister TRAMPLED BY ELEPHANTS.

That just isn't cricket.

Especially after I'd gifted this guy with, like, two kingdoms, made him my most powerful vassal and betrothed his son (my nephew) to my eldest daughter.

Who is certainly not going to be marrying into that branch of the family, now.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Gamiel art dump time!

Artist's concept of possible colonies on future mars missions. Don't know the artist/s, from https://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/multimedia/images/2005/futureexploration.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Artist’s concept of a habitat for a Mars colony. Don't know the artist/s, from http://www.universetoday.com/111462/how-can-we-live-on-mars/

[​IMG]

Artist’s concept of a habitat for a Mars colony. Don't know the artist/s, from http://www.mondolithic.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rick Guidice's rendition for the Lunar Colony interior.

[​IMG]

14. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You WH40k guys. I found the Squats.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, Invaders From Mars was right- martians will be living in underground tunnels in your backyard. Quick! Hide your pennies!

Cynical_Ben and jSarek like this.
  17. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
  18. Palizinha

Palizinha Jedi Master star 1

Jul 12, 2015
    Just watched BatB, fun movie. Glad they didn't ruin my second favorite Disney movie.

19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, if it had been terrible the original BatB would have spontaneously combusted or suddenly become worse. :p

20. Palizinha

Palizinha Jedi Master star 1

Jul 12, 2015
    Yes. Nice to know you understand me.

21. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    LelalMekha

"Conspiracy of vipers" sounds very much like a Jelloism to describe the Rebellion.

22. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    The first two are possibly Pat Rawlings. He did a lot of the classic 1980s NASA concept art for Mars missions that got widely used in space books. A lot of his stuff also focuses on the domestic aspects of space.

Gamiel likes this.
  23. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I guess most of you Paradoxals have already seen this; but for you who have not, this might be interesting:

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It is nice to FINALLY get some accurate stories about the Galactic Civil War.

edit:
    "Mothma poised to benefit at every turn" even moreso.