main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #1-6: The Chosen One (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I doubt he is coming back sadly. That's kinda why I want Oppo to live cause he can be the new K'Kruhk.

2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Why do you think so? I mean, there's no indication that K'Kruhk is coming to canon, but there's no indication that he isn't either. Plus he's one of the more popular Legends Jedi, so there's a fair chance we'll see him again. With or withiut thr hat.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I don't get this, really. O66 survivors are fine. Great, even, as they give Vader and the Inquisitors more to do. It's just more fun that way.

There were thousands of Jedi when O66 was issued. Even if we had, say, 50-100 survivors, that'd still be really a high success rate. The comparative "lists" don't matter because they're just dealing with the important or named characters.

It's only problematic if they keep surviving, and we end up having a bunch of Jedi running around at the same time as Luke Skywalker.

LelalMekha, Revanfan1 and spicer like this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm not sure it was very clear -- that's why so many people debate whether it was really a "broken heart" that killed her or Anakin. Or Palpatine.

Check out the reasons given on this page, especially the last few points regarding what Palpatine should (or rather shouldn't) be able to know during that scene: https://www.retrozap.com/padme-didnt-die-of-a-broken-heart/

The medical droids can't explain what's happening, because she's "completely healthy." Then Palpatine tells Anakin/Vader that Padme died the moment after she kicked the bucket. He couldn't have known, unless he was keeping tabs on her.

The broken heart theory is dumb and makes Padme out to be a weak woman who gave up on her kids. The Palpatine-murder theory has a step up from the Anakin-murder theory (which itself is impossible if Padme's "completely healthy") because it makes out like Anakin stopped choking her in time before killing her. He wasn't all bad, like Padme said at the end -- really awful yeah for killing younglings, but he didn't go through murdering his own wife in the end. In that way Palpatine didn't just physically make Anakin a monster; he made him believe he was a monster as well for something he didn't do.

5. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Have they straight up taken a legends Jedi and made them canon? With Thrawn I get it cause he is more mainstream and there are not to many Imp characters you can use and everyone just sorta rips him off a bit with most Imp leaders. With the PT era Jedi you have so many already canon who are underused that it is unlikely they would bring one in. i would love to be proven wrong though. Though he needs the hat. Otherwise I will not accept it.

spicer likes this.
  6. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Exactly. It can only become problematic if we get a substantial nuber of O66 survivors post ROTJ. And even then I wouldn't have a problem if they are only a handful.

vncredleader likes this.
  7. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016

Its simply my preference. The whole point of order 66 was to wipe out the Jedi, and it supposedly did just that. I don't mind survivors (As long as they are all dead by the time Yoda anoints Luke the Last of the Jedi), but when the list of survivors exceeds the list of victims it feels (To me) like Order 66 was pointless, and inefficient. I'm fan of the Jedi (Hence the Jedi in my name) but i'm also a continuity buff and dislike the idea of too many survivors. Again just my preference but when so many Jedi are walking about in the dark times I get the feeling that Order 66 didn't exactly do its job that well.

8. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Only SW could lead to this kind of comment. Sure he killed children but hey he did not kill his wife, that counts for something. I get the point that family is the one thing that still matters somewhat to him but the fact that you actually wrote the words "really awful yeah for killing younglings" followed with a but, is just really funny to me.

9. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I agree with everything that article mentions except for the idea that it is Sidious who siphons the Living Force from Padmé in order to save Vader. I think it is Vader who does this, unconsciously perhaps, but that is the nature of his greed and his inability to let go. After all, we never see Palpatine or Sidious lie to Anakin or Vader. Misuse the truth at times, but never a flat out lie like Kenobi tells Luke. Why would this be the only example of it in the entire series? Easier to believe Sidious when he says that Vader killed her. It's what the visual language of the film indicates, certainly; Padmé is "completely healthy" as you say, even while she dies, while Vader's survival shocks even Sidious ("He's still alive!"). He killed her to keep himself alive.

ShiroxCloud, ukijedi, Cynda and 2 others like this.
  10. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    That would actually be a really cool explanation. Kudos

Daneira and Jedi Princess like this.
  11. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    My guess is we will see the end of Barriss offee and Quinlan Vos in this series. also looking forward to learning more about the Grand Inquisitor and perhaps the other ones we haven't seen yet.

iPodwithnomusic and BliTTzZ like this.
  12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I guess I'm just struggling to understand how one could view a 99% success rate as pointless and inefficient.

Slater, Vialco, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Thanks!

Like I said, it's all in the visual language of the sequence. Lucas cuts back and forth between Vader and Padmé very deliberately. First we see Padmé on the hospital bed, then cut to Vader on his, first in overhead, then in an identical shot to that of Padmé's. Here Vader howls, he reaches out with his remaining limb, the film cuts and we are half a galaxy away and Padmé cries out in pain. Luke is born, Leia is born. Padmé "looks on them with her own eyes" (to mangle a quote), then we watch through Vader's eyes as he sees only red, only anger, only hate, now until the end of Return of the Jedi. Vader takes his first breaths in his reborn body, we cut back and Padmé breathes her last.

Only then do we see Sidious, the Emperor, approaching this Frankenstein's monster the droids have created for him. You can argue he's off-screen performing this Padmé-killing ritual, or you can believe him when he says that Vader killed her. "She was alive! I felt it!" He's not talking about the moment when he strangled her. He's not focused on her at all at that point, his focus immediately turns to Obi-Wan. No, his focus turns to her when he begins to die, the intercutting similar to when Vader turns his focus to Luke in The Empire Strikes Back.

14. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Barris and the Grand Inquisitor sure, but no Quinlan please. If Ostrander isn't writing him then thanks, but no thanks.

PimpBacca likes this.
  15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    It would also be the second example in RotS, itself. The stage you describe is essentially set by the ruminations scene.

Revanfan1 and Jedi Princess like this.
  16. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016

No, I'm not referring to the numbers like that. More in the sense of what we actually see. I'm aware there are many Jedi who die off screen, but I'd rather the list of Surviving Jedi be small, and the list of known victims be large.

Again I have no problem with survivors, particularly early on as you said that gives Darth Vader time to show off his awesomeness. But I take issue when the number of survivors grows too high, as more and more Jedi are shown to live it feels, at least to me, that order 66 isn't as effective as it ought to have been. I am fully aware of the 99% number, I'm just saying that from my perspective it isn't just the off screen and unknown Jedi that matter, but those we see die.

I honestly don't see a problem. It takes nothing from the survivors to create a few Jedi to be shown being cut down by clones during order 66. They could show literally thousands of that and still have a decent selections of survivors to pick from and follow for a few years after III. As long as they are all dead by IV I doesn't matter to me. But I would prefer we begin expanding the list of known victims as well, because it is awkward for me to see an expanding list of known survivors, and a puny list of named victims. Its about completion more than anything else.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Vader "hunted down and destroyed the Jedi Knights."

Granted, Kenobi is a complete liar, but hunting down O66 survivors is pretty consistent with that.

18. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Can you provide that link if there is one that says them all?

19. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    It is just the Wookiepedia page for Order 66.
    There is a list on both the canon and legends pages of both survivors and victims. Though the canon page is shorter and more tidy as not enough material has come out yet to make it too long.
    I'm pretty sure there is only one new character on the list of victims, everyone else was shown just in the films/Clone Wars.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I just...wow. This subtext is so subtle I never caught it before. If this was actually Lucas' intent...well, bravo. This makes me more comfortable than the "lost the will to live" excuse. And it adds even more to the tragedy of Darth Vader.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  21. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    That is a nice way to rationalize it.

But it does not change the fact that the medical droid said she had a broken heart and lost the will to live. The one telling the facts in the movie is the medical droid, not Sidious. Sidious distorts the truth to suit his needs, medical droids don’t.

And while visually it was clearly intended that metaphorically Vader killed Padme, because she died of broken heart because of him, we are still stuck with this ****** portrayal of a female character unless the new canon decided to do something about it and give her a proper cause of death. We all have out fan theories to make it look better in our headcanons, but they're just fan theories at the end of the day.

So yeah, I would love if these comics did something about it. I don't care what to be honest, just anything that nullifies the "lost the will to live" part. Maybe the medical droid missed something. I hope.

22. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    "I should think you Jedi would have more respect for the difference between knowledge and wisdom."

"Well, if droids could think, there'd be none of us here, would there?"

That droid knows nothing. He even says he knows nothing. "She's lost the will to live" is his guess at best. I wish the line wasn't there, it needlessly confuses things, but in the context of the film series and even the moment itself, you can't take it at face value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghost likes this.
  23. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    The line is there because Lucas wanted to be "romantic" about it. She died of broken heart. Is it what it is. Everything else is just our personal interpretations, and yours is yours but probably not shared by many others.

All I’m saying is, I wish the new canon would come up with a canon answer for Padme's cause of death that is not "broken heart".

24. Jordan D. White

Jordan D. White Marvel Comics Editor VIP

Mar 26, 2015
    To clarify the issue of the "subtitle":

The series is going to be called "Darth Vader". That's all it's going to say on the cover.

On the spine of the TPB, to differentiate it from the previous volume, it will say "Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith".

In much the same way that the last few volumes of Deadpool have all just been called "Deadpool", but the trades for the current series all say "Deadpool: World's Greatest".

So, if you want to use DVDLotS or DLotS or whatnot to refer to it, that is totally sensible for clarification...but the cover of the monthly series is just gonna say Darth Vader.

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The droid doesn't know the Force. It can't sense the Force at work.

In the old canon, I think it said the Polis Massans and their droids had difficulty even understanding human anatomy.

The droid itself says it cannot explain why she is dying, and guesses she has lost the will to live... which directly contradicts what Padme is saying.

Jedi Princess likes this.