main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Gareth Edwards to Direct first Spin Off !

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by chris hayes, May 22, 2014.

1. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Hear, hear.
    I would like him to attempt another one in the franchise in the future.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I loved Rogue One, but I'm personally of the opinion that each director should be limited to one Star Wars film a piece.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  3. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Gareth Edwards is like, my favorite person.

"Very early on we talked about, "well, in theory the X-Wing pilots should be here." On our tour around the archives at Skywalker Ranch, at the very bottom of the basement there’s all these cans of film, and they said, "oh, they're the negatives from Star Wars". And you're like, "what? They exist? Have you gone through them all?" And they're like, "not really, we haven't yet". And you're like, "oh my God, someone should sit and just digitise all of this stuff, and I'd pay for it, I'll sit and watch it, can I do that?" And so we pulled out of the archives all the X-Wing pilot footage and some other bits and bobs and got them re-scanned. And they weren't perfect, obviously you can imagine they aged quite a bit, and they need a lot of clean up from Industrial Light & Magic. But I really wanted to have Gold Leader and people like that in there – just as a nod. And it was funny, because you do it for yourself as a fan, and you think, "I wonder how many people will notice?" But at the premiere, it got one of the biggest cheers when he showed up. I actually air-punched."

5. AllIsAsTheForceWillsIt

AllIsAsTheForceWillsIt Jedi Padawan

Dec 17, 2016
    How's that quality control going?

Bor Mullet and OldTimeFan like this.
  6. rg1fan123

rg1fan123 Jedi Padawan

Feb 8, 2016
    Oh how i wish edwards would direct one of the saga films.

Darth__Lobot and Gigoran Monk like this.
  7. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Gilroy helped out with Godzilla as well so I'm inclined to think he was brought on due to a good working relationship rather than Edwards beign kicked off his own film as the gossip rags looked to paint it.

I'm inclined to think actually that although Edwards had help the reshoots actually shifted things more in the kind of direction he wanted himself any from stuff that Disney might have been keener on that didn't come off well. By far the biggest difference between the trailers and films to me seems to be that Jyn loses most of the "too cool for school" persona which to me always felt rather forced and not in true with the rest of the footage, I'm guessing as well that the other characters(besides perhaps Saw) ended up being featured more, Cassian especially likely getting that intro scene.

Honestly if an Obi Wan film does happen I'd definitely be interested in Edwards directing it. The Han Solo film I think is a rather different kettle of fish since that's likely going to stand or fall on Han and Lando's characterisation and the writing around them but any Obi Wan film is I'd guess more likely to operate in the world of the OT much more directly and potentially limited without quite tight boundries. I could see Edwards for example making an entire film set on Tatooine and not have it feel limited location wise for example.

8. datatapes

datatapes Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2016
    Apparently IX already has a director, but I'm convinced there'll be a fourth trilogy. I wonder if Edwards would like to start off the next one (X) or maybe he would like to do the traditionally darker middle episode (XI). :)

9. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  10. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014

They did have to reshoot a huge portion of the movie. That was probably a good thing.

11. rg1fan123

rg1fan123 Jedi Padawan

Feb 8, 2016
    you guys should check out that director's cut podcast with gareth edwards. explains why so many shots were not in the film.

12. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    What an inspired choice Edwards turned out to be.

13. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    I think Disney should be very careful and not count their chickens.
    The reason TFA made so much in my opinion is because it was a return to classic Star Wars.
    The reason Rogue One has done so well is it's a really good Star Wars movie.

Disney needs to keep the quality up with future movies.

MS1 and DaffyTheWizard like this.
  14. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    Maybe not what if all his best ideas have gone into this one?
    Rogue One was so original and not a safe bet but it has paid off I love it.
    However I don't want it's clone.

I really hope Rian Johnson can give us something special too.

15. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    watched gareth edwards' "monsters" on netflix. superb film. he first major feature film and it's amazing. watch it today.

16. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    It does often seem to be mentioned that he can't do drama well but I'd strongly disagree with that. Rather I think he's a good fit for films like Rogue One and Godzilla that have the potential to be very plot heavy exactly because he has a good eye for drama and can pull it off without your standard blockbuster climaxs.

A lot of other directors would IMHO not only cared less about respecting ANH as much as Edwards did but they would have been unable to do so as the "bigger better" drive would have taken over, Jyn having force abilities, giant battles larger than anything in the OT, Krennic as an ultra evil/powerful badguy worse than Tarkin, etc. Edwards on the other hand could keep this film as setup for ANH rather than overshadowing it and give it weight of its own.

The Han Solo film does I'd imagine have potential to be more your standard blockbuster but if we see any anthology films that focus indepth on the SW universe in the fashion Rogue One did I think Edwards would be a good fit for the same reason, he's good at telling smaller dramatic stories in larger events.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    More from Edwards on his approach. https://www.fandango.com/movie-news...r-see-those-rogue-one-alternate-scenes-752032

"There's not an individual scene that you can drag and drop and put on a Blu-ray," he said. "There are little things that would come and go during the process of postproduction, but they're not scenes. They're more moments within the scenes or a single shot. So it's impossible to be able to do that, and that's why the decision was made."
    As for the moments like the aforementioned TIE fighter shot, Edwards explained why we won't see how that fit into the overall story. "The stuff people talk about, like what they saw in the trailer, they're not scenes you can just put on a DVD. They're moments within scenes and threads, and you pull a thread and it all changes. It was changing the whole time. It's not like there was one version and then there was this other version -- it was like this thing that incrementally evolved constantly through all of postproduction and didn't stop until there was a gun at our heads and we were forced to release the movie."
    When it comes to the TIE-fighter shot, Edwards is remaining quiet about it for now. "Yeah, it's going to have to remain a myth because it's sort of the thing where you're trying ideas out to find the right version of the movie, and at the same time marketing is getting excited about certain shots and moments. Eventually, you'll see something presented to you and you'll be like, wait a minute, this shot is no longer in the film."
    Edwards added that we'll never see an alternate version of that Scarif battle for a pretty simple reason: "The visual effects were never finished on it," he said. "It's not like there's something sitting somewhere. I feel like making a film is like a sport where someone blows a whistle and that's it -- the score is what it is. And the goal is to win. If I could go back and do the film knowing what I know now, the final film would be completely different. I'd probably be willing to make Star Wars for the next 10 years and never let go of it -- constantly trying to finesse and find new ideas. But at some point, it stops, and it is the movie. The film that got released, I feel like that is the film, and everything else is just the process of making it."

18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    To be honest, it felt like a very wasteful way to make a movie. Shooting tonnes of footage for all sorts of ways the story might unfold, then glue something together and then go shoot some more. It feels like a hundred million bucks just chucked away in the process.

With TFA there's the story of the creature shop making dozens of beasties, and JJ Abrams walking along a line up "I'll have this one and that one..."

It feels... flabby.

19. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I just watched his SXSW speech .. and I do remember the absolute crap that was heaped on him from some quarters during the in July last year so it was really heartening to see both that he managed to exceed expectations with Rogue One (the last 5 minutes of that film is now one of my favourite of the saga) but it was also very enlightening to see what a tough time he had getting there.

MS1 and Mostly Handless like this.
  20. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I think it's exactly what gives RO that wonderfully organic, cinema verite feel. I'm personally glad Edwards shot it this way.

I actually do think Edwards' past films were a little anemic on the dramatic side. Particularly Godzilla. Which is why I was skeptical about the choice. But he proved me wrong with Rogue One. He was not only up to the task, he created the most dramatically-satisfying and visually-arresting Star Wars film, IMO.

21. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Gigoran Monk likes this.
  22. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    You have a plot there of course about giant monsters fighting each other and a lot of grand impersonal military action around it but I think he makes it work because he does look to bring as much drama as he can. Firstly around the family plot at the start of the film and then simply by filming Taylor Johnsons lead in a very naturalistic way rather than as a typical one liner badass.

Rogue One does I think give him more character focus but still it is a very plot heavy film that could have ended up rather bland in someone else's hands.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  23. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I just watch Rogue One yet again (counts are adding up really high) in the perfect mood with a few beers etc and I have to say bar none it is the most satisfying StarWars movie in 30 years for me. Besides a few small gripes Edwards just gets it and knows what SW is. I wish he was doing a whole trilogy to be honest and I reckon Felicity would have done a stellar role in another role in another movie as well.

There are just a few scenes like the first Death Star explosion reaching into space over Jedha, The elevator down on Scarrif with Jyn and Cassain and again on the beach, the Star Destroyer into the shields and every moment with Vader that just adds some emotion that has been lost in SW. But it also adds what might simply be the best visuals ever. In a ways I feel really disappointed that Jyn's death is so much more moving than Han's in TFA. RO makes the OT even better and I don't think anything else since has had that effect. And the space battles are edge of your seat stuff compared again the the emotionless StarKiller attack in TFA. I love it.

Oddly years ago I watched Monsters and I really liked it. I look forward to see what Edwards does next.

24. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Unsurprisingly, I feel the same way. I proudly, and without apology, call it my favorite Star Wars film.

Darth__Lobot, my kind of scum and MS1 like this.
  25. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Just passing by to say I would prefer 1000x Gareth to direct EP IX instead of Colin. :p

my kind of scum, TCF-1138 and MS1 like this.