main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    As expected, the UK govt is to deny the call for a Scottish referendum before Brexit:

BBC News.

2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Aunt Nicky is up the creek, without a paddle.

Either she accepts it or attempts to hold her own - which will result in unionist parties boycotting and Westminster never allowing another referendum.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I think to be fair to the manky Scots, there's little else they could do. They remained in the UK on the assumption that the current status of the UK as an EU member continue. They voted overwhelmingly to Remain in the union, and are highly dependent on it. Given the situation which frankly she should blame the bloody Welsh for (you know, those guys who only survive thanks to EU subsidies but who voted Leave?), what else can she do? She has to act for Scotland.

It may be that she's got nowhere to go with it, but in her position and assuming we're not barking mad like Ghost's mate, what would we do differently?

4. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Theresa May is to challenge the SNP to win a mandate for a second referendum in the next Scottish Parliamentary Elections (2021); this is quite smart idea and forces the SNP to show the majority do want a second independence referendum.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. I think the Scottish nationalists fear the same fate their Quebec counterparts - left a second bid for independence too late and the party suffered greatly.

5. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    Sturgeon has also been under a lot of pressure for the litany of broken promises from both the 2007 and 2011 manifestos. Within Scotland, the SNP's competence and ability to deliver has questioned repeatedly over the last few months.

What better way to distract attention than to wave a flag and push again for independence?

[​IMG]

6. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    If the SNP were just patient, demographics are on the side of independence - majority of young people are in favour of it. But, the nationalists are not prepared to wait. Plus, as yeurgh pointed out, the SNP are not very good at the mundane tasks of government - so why risk another independence vote, when you're not very good at running a country.

7. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    For the enjoyment of those old enough to remember the Krankies.

[​IMG]

FatBurt, gezvader28 and DanielUK like this.
  8. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Never gets old.

9. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    Little factoid to brighten up your day: the Krankies, Janette & Ian Tough, are swingers in real life.

Always thought their dynamic was a bit odd but I guess they're paragons of virtue compared to most kids' TV presenters from the '80s.

10. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    After all the revelations from the 80's, this one doesn't surprise me at all.

11. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    At least they're still together and the extent of their paedoness is that Janette dresses up like a child thus sating Ian's potential wanton ways.

In the eyes of the GOP is the good old US this would be pretty much an ideal family situation. Massively messed up on the inside but at least it looks (ahem) "normal" to the rest of the world.

I bet Jeanette needs to bend over an tie her "bootstraps" a lot
    [face_sick]

yeurgh likes this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    So Gordon Brown (yes the ex-PM) is dipping his oar into the Scottish waters today..

BBC News

13. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Gordon needs to do us all a favour and remain silent.

yeurgh likes this.
  14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That's what I was thinking. Him and Blair. Neither is doing any good barging into UK politics.

yeurgh likes this.
  15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    ??
    I thought she was his mother !

16. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    Nah, they're about the same age I think. She did look middle aged even back in the Crackerjack days, though.

17. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
  18. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    So glad I'm still on track to emigrate again.

19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    where ya gonna go ?

20. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Back to Japan.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, @yeurgh's Outbreak of Political Common Sense (which I do really like the sound of) will probably be too late to stop it all going over a cliff.

22. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    Time will tell.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    The only silver lining for me is that on 15th February 2019 I will have been here for five years, which (unless a deal is agreed about the EU nationals, which is hopefully very likely) means I'll have 6 weeks to get my permanent residence in a true
    [​IMG]
    fashion. :p

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You know that's going to be part of the test, right? If you fail, you get squished.

Mar17swgirl and Alpha-Red like this.
  25. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I believe the cut off point, from what a French colleague told me, was the day Article 50 is evoked. So, March 29th.