main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Fate of the Inquisitors

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Mar 16, 2017.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    So I have been reading star wars marvel comics recently, and I find it interesting how the Inquisitors are not mentioned in these OT era works. You would think especially in Vader's series which deals with certain forces out to replace Vader's position (and the theme of technology replacing force users), there would at least be a reference to this darkside organization.

The picture seems to suggest to me that the Inquisitor faction doesn't exist anymore in the OT period. It would also go along with Tarkin's line of Vader being the last remnant of the Jedi religion. After all the Inquisitors could be seen as a dark spin off of the Jedi Order (even starting out with former Jedi).

But in your opinions, should the Empire stop having Inquisitors when ANH rolls around? Better to keep them alive in just the 19yrs of the dark times?

On the other side, should the Empire still maintain Inquisitors, even post-RoTJ?

For me, I am willing for this evil faction to be defeated before the events of the OT. As long as its not at the cause of Kanan and Ezra, and the Rebellion. If it was wiped out, its best done because of Sith treachery. Feeding on the theme of darksiders vs themselves.

And if the Empire "decomissions" them, their should be a few former Inquisitors escaping.

I am a big fan of Jerec returning to the new continuitty. Unfortunately if every single Inquisitor ate dirt before ANH, a nu Jerec is limited to just the dark times. What would benefit star wars is him surviving some Imperial purge and coming out of the shadows early post-RoTJ for a power grab.

A few ex-Inquisitors is also a chance to explore darksiders in the OT beyond just sticking to Vader and Palpatine, and without the plot armor those 2 have. Imagine a mini series about one involved in the underworld during the OT, avoiding the Empire's eyes.

With those 2 dead post-RoTJ, it still gives the galaxy a few darksiders before Snoke and Kylo rule the stage of darksiders.

MercenaryAce and Ithorians like this.
  2. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Spoilers for Aftermath.
    The Empire doesn't really exist for long post-ROTJ.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Well, the Empire seems much more devoted to the Dark Side this time around with Sith stuff a common side activity of its upper crust. However, the Inquisition itself has already started falling apart in Rebels' Third Season.

Mostly because Maul as a Sith Lord is so much more formidable than any Inquisitor. It seems the group never recovers from the loss of the Grand Inquisitor, which is okay as the Empire only lasts another three years.

Of course, if any of the Inquisitors became the Knights of Ren then they might have survived far longer than their Legends counterparts.

Voltron64 likes this.
  4. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    My take?
    [​IMG]

Never liked them. But then I'm a rule of two purist, so that's just my perspective.

DelRiego likes this.
  5. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017
    My theory is the Inquisitors were only meant as a stop gap measure. The children they were tasked with finding and kidnapping were meant to form a corps of Force sensitive agents completely loyal to the Emperor. Once that corps was ready to go, any surviving Inquisitors would be exterminated.

6. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    There's no use to train more because the previous ones, which included a former Jedi Temple Guard, failed miserably. Also not much time because the civil war got very serious and Vader traveled a lot more than usual taking care of business.

7. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    They weren't Sith Lords perpetuating and sharing the arcane knowledge and scheming plans of the Sith. They were Force Sensitives who were used as effective pawns and just given the helping of Dark Side training they needed to be effective at their go-fer tasks. Not apprentices.

8. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016

Yup, that's the justification people use. Difference is minimal to me. As far as I'm concerned they are Sith in all but name.[face_sigh]

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    For me, I think it's ludicrous to violate canon and anything which does is stupid.

And canon is Darth Vader and Palpatine wanted to recruit Luke Skywalker as a powerful ally.

The whole "Rule of Two" is Lucas violating his own canon like Anakin being a great pilot when he was nine.

:)

10. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

"He would be a great asset." Asset. A tool. Basically, outward they were talking about using him basically as something like an inquisitor - a force sensitive tool they could use once he's been broken, but inside, they were of course viewing Luke as a replacement for their Rival.

I had pointed out to me that lyrics to 'Goodnight and Thank You' from Evita very much applies if you swap out the word 'Lover' for 'Sith Lord'.

There is no one, no one at all
    Never has been, and never will be a [Sith Lord], male or female
    Who hasn't an eye on, in fact they rely on
    Tricks they can try on their partner
    They're hoping their [Master] will help them or keep them
    Support them, promote them
    Don't blame them, you're the same

Goodnight and thank you [Darth Tyranus]
    You've completed your task
    What more can we ask of you now?
    Please sign the book on the way out the door
    And that will be all, if I need you I'll call
    But I don't think that's likely somehow

Oh but it's sad when an [apprentice] dies
    But when we were hot, we were hot
    I know you'll look back on the good times we've shared
    Which means ...
    [​IMG]

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  11. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    As far as Vader and Palpatines plan for Lukek, I think its apparent enough each was planning on using him to kill the other. Its an unspoken thing between them, something they both know about. Similarly to Palpatines plan with Anakin as mentioned above. There can only ever be two, and when one has become weak they must be destroyed.

Dooku was old, and his potential limited. He may have been foolish enough to accept Sidious's promise that they could be a trio of Sith, though possibly he thought they could team up and destroy the Master. But what his intentions were are irrelevant now as Sidious outsmarted him.
    Either way Palpatines intentions were clear, Dooku had to be replaced "With someone far younger and more powerful."

Similarly with Vader. After he took his lava bath his power was limited, and potential stunted. Palpatine kept him alive because he really didn't have another option. Vader was still most certainly more powerful than any living Jedi, and it saved him from having to search the entire galaxy for a new apprentice who could even be a fraction his strength.
    When confronted with the son of Skywalker, one who could possibly match Anakin, and certainly exceed Vader, he knew if he turned him he could finally do away with his failed apprentice. Vader knew too, that if he could turn Luke he might be able to kill Sidious as was his original intent. "I am more powerful than the Chancellor, I can overthrow him!".

Either way the Rule of Two is preserved, whether it be via Vader and Luke, or Luke and Sidious there would only ever be two. It is only to the Emperors frustration Luke unexpectedly refuses to turn.

In TESB it is my understanding they are simply talking around the issue. If they say outright 'Ya, he could be a good replacement for you' it creates a whole awkward situation for them. They each know of the rule of two, they each know if Luke turns one of them will have to die, but for now they need each other. Without Palpatine Vader has nothing, and without Vader Palpatine is lacking an enforcer. Until Luke turns they need each other. And it is for that sake they don't acknowledge the Bantha in the room that is the Rule of Two.

I mean Vader outright says. 'You can overthrow the Emperor, he has forseen it' and when Luke defeats Vader Palpatine outright goads him into killing Vader. (Pulling another Dooku one might say). To me it is apparent that was both their plans all along, and the Rule of two was never in jeopardy.

Jedi Princess and Charlemagne19 like this.
  12. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    On the one hand the whole "they're Inquisitors/Dark Side Adepts, not technically Sith" thing is just a hand wave excuse so that we can have more lightsaber fights. On the other hand, the idea that Sith would find a technical loop hole to get around the Rule of Two really emphasizes their back stabbing, greed, hypocrisy, and unquenchable lust for power and control. It's kind of thematic.

13. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016

Fair enough. I would personally rather they follow it stricter, but then I'm a rule follower. Suppose that's why I'm not a Sith.:p

14. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017

It also fits with how Palpatine saw himself as the last master of the Sith. Other Force users were useful so long as they subordinated themselves to him. If anyone showed signs of getting too powerful or ambitious, they could be dealt with (much like how he tolerated Asajj until she got too powerful).

JediBatman likes this.
  15. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Be cool if they had biochips in their brains and after 3 BBY, Palpatine and Vader pressed a button and they exploded or something

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I do think it's a point that the Rule of Two is a prequel invention and that it doesn't necessarily need to reflect every element of Sith philosophy. Which is, of course, fundamentally, "I make the rules." Even so, I believe the Rule of Two was only meant to apply to the Sith until the Jedi were defeated. After Palpatine succeeded where only Darth Traya did before her (and with Revan), it meant the Sith no longer had to abide by it.

17. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I woulda like the Inquisitors better if they weren't Jedi or Sith lite, but if they went completely the other direction and made them a corps of total "muggles" who just had the specialization and equipment to bring down Force-sensitives. Would've fit the Empire's materialist/atheist aura better, would've preserved Vader's mystique as the last of his kind, and would've just generally been something new and different. Alack and alas, this is Star Wars and There Must Be Lightsabers.

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I want the option of people facing force users other than Vader in the Empire. Who cares about the protagonists beating a Jedi Hunter like Boba Fett? That's not an accomplishment.

Defeating a Dark Jedi is.

19. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    I would like to see an ex-Inquisitor (preferably Jerec) form his own small band. See one teach someone else what he was taught. An apprentice relationship but done in a way that doesn't copy the Sith/Rule of Two style.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  20. BliTTzZ

BliTTzZ Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2017
    Unfortunately I didn't read any literature from old EU. The Inquisitorius looks similar to monastic order. I just wonder about their numbers and how many have died already in period before of the ANH. I just really hope not all of them will be tied with the old Jedi Order. That's plain lazy writing I think. Could be interesting to watch some Inquisitors wandering around after the events of the ANH and some of them being killed either by Empire or rebels, some escaping Empire's firm grasp and starting their own games, some just trying to hide from everyone. Even the ones defecting and switching sides.

21. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Well let's look at the Inquisitors we know about:
    1. Sixth Brother-Killed by Ahsoka Tano
    2. Grand Inquisitor-Fell to his death on the Sovereign
    3. Seventh Sister-Killed by Maul
    4. Fifth Brother-Killed by Maul
    5. Eighth Brother-Fell to his death on Malachor
    We know there aren't too many Inquisitors around. Whose to say they aren't all dead as of Season Three Rebels? Perhaps those last three on Malachor were all that remained of the organization.

22. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    Given that we don't see any Inquisitors after Rogue One, I'm going to assume they're all killed off when Rebels ends.

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It's not like them joining the First Order and becoming Knights of Ren predecessors would be a bad thing.

24. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Or their are no more imperial inquisitors left, but still a few ex ones hiding. If the Sith have no more use for them, they are screwed. I could see survivors avoiding the empire vs rebellion conflict to not get skewered by some cyborg with skywalker issues.

lookameatbag likes this.
  25. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Fate of the Inquisitors.

Nine book series coming soon from Del Rey!

sent from my Moto X-Wing