main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn - New canon Star Wars book by Timothy Zahn (Spring 2017)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Oh this is Prefect Mosh Barris. From that story where Corran is hiding out in Garqi and helps that Rebel group out while masquerading as the Prefect's aide. I remember that story from twenty years ago.

Talk about using an obscure character. I always liked that guy, very confident and self-assured, even for an Imperial. Is this really him?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Indeed it is. Barris also appeared in the Thrawn origin story "Mist Encounter," in the earliest Star Wars collaboration between Zahn and Stackpole. (Indeed, given "Missed Chance" was Stackpole's first contribution to the franchise, the earliest possible collaboration.) The two stories appeared in the same Adventure Journal, and their titles - "Mist Encounter" and "Missed Chance" - play on the homophony of "mist/missed."

Revanfan1, SWpants and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  3. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000

Side Trip? Mist Encounter? Missed Chance? Never heard of these before. Where would I find them?

4. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    These are old short stories, that originally debuted in the Star Wars Adventure Journal ("Mist Encounter" and "Missed Chance" in SWAJ #7, Side Trip in SWAJ #12 and SWAJ #13.) "Missed Chance" and "Side Trip" were reprinted in the short story collection Tales from the Empire, and "Mist Encounter" was reprinted in the paperback version of Outbound Flight.

5. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013

I agree that I doubt Zahn meant it that way, but it's why I still manage to appreciate that scene despite it. It's a case where I think it works despite the author's probable intentions.

6. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013

Or to put this in in-universe perspective: there isn't a plan in the world, no matter how well built and how many contingencies are planned for, that isn't vulnerable to the right series of improbable events. There are no certainties in life. You do the best you can, but recognize you can still lose.

CaptainPeabody likes this.
  7. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I could agree with you except for the later scene Thrawn has with Vader. The Governer is clearly meant to be the reader and the comparison is obvious. Thrawns awesome and Vaders a fool.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016

The in-universe perspective is that all is as the Force wills it.

9. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Okay so I'm abit confused and I'm not sure if this is legitimate, and if so, I don't know if it's old news.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mitth'raw'nuruodo/Canon

I often view wookieepedia, and I know that the page has always been only "Thrawn" and not his full name. When was Thrawn's full name canonized? Is this legitimate or just some false edit? What is the source of this edit?

10. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    The new excerpt from the novel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    What excerpt? I read the one

Where Thrawn interacts with the emperor and in the end mentions Anakin.

but I do not recall that mentioning his full name, nor can I find the name when I searched for the excerpt now.

12. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
  13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

*silently approves change*

[face_laugh]

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *always thought the Venator would be retconned into the Victory eventually*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PCCViking and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    I haven't seen that excerpt before, thanks!

16. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    That was your personal perception. I didn't think that Vader sounded like a fool. Thrawn seemed to carefully choose his words with him and Vader seemed threatening and Thrawn sounded "at his service" and not the other way around.

17. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    You know, the source was given in the article. There's a reference and all that.

18. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

No, because the number-button thing wasn't beside thrawn's full name, and therefore it didn't direct me to the source. I could search the source list, but I wouldn't know what just came in and what didn't.

19. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Intros never feature references. However, the very first word of the biography section is Mitth'raw'nuruodo, immediately followed by a reference. In this case, everything is perfectly in order. Not all article are this well referenced, but this one is.

Jeff_Ferguson and Sinrebirth like this.
  20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm glad Lelal's not my professor.

Sinrebirth and LelalMekha like this.
  21. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    I mean.. It's not like everyone scans the entire page for that little reference symbol. :oops:

Sinrebirth likes this.
  22. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Nah, in reality, I'm way too soft a teacher.

23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    lol the Governer compared the 2 and clearly found Vader wanting. Look also at his other OC if you don't think that was the intent. It literally has Luke stop and stare in awe at Mara's mad skills.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Well of course Luke was in awe of Mara. The poor boy spent most of his time on a farm in the middle of nowhere, and it was the first girl he'd encountered that wasn't biologically related to him :p

25. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    True, and the belligerent sexual tension between them didn't hurt, either.