main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Felicity Jones (Jyn Erso) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Being an experienced actress (including her role as Stephen Hawking's wife in the award-winning "The Theory of Everything"), Felicity really knew how to convey her expressions well... From that tough-as-nails chick who guns down Stormtroopers like nobody's business to the tearful reaction at seeing her Dad in holographic form and that beautiful last hug with Cassian before being wiped out by the "nuclear bomb", the lady can act brilliantly!

Too bad we will only see Jyn for one movie, unless she is "resurrected" for some prequel graphic novel or TV series? :p

BB-8 My Homework likes this.
  2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I love how much she is able to establish her character without even speaking. The first few instances we see her in she doesn't say a single word. First when she is in the prison cell, that look on her face of complete disgust at her circumstances. Then when she is being transported in the tank with the other prisoners, how she basically tells that other guy "don't **** with me" without actually having to tell him that. And he respects it too, you can tell he sees her as more of an equal, as opposed to how you might typically expect an imprisoned man to behave in that situation. That whole exchange between those two was acted very well without a word being said by either of them. And then how after being freed from her handcuffs she just unleashes on the Rebel guys and makes a run for it. But then that look of utter shock at being grabbed and slammed to the ground by K2. Then when she is being interrogated by Rebel intelligence. The way her eyes dart around the room, the way she just takes it all in and assesses the situation, you can tell she knows not to give up more than she has to. Then there is that slight emotional reaction to hearing her real name and her father's name. And all this before her first line of the film when she says "What is this?" to Mon Mothma. Amazing acting by Felicity Jones.

3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    True dat. She has a great deal of skill with her facial expressions. I noticed that throughout the movie. She really portrays this cynical person who learns she can do more with her life. It's telling how she rarely smiles, and whenever she does so, it's subtle. Jones is a magnificent actress.

4. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  5. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    She has grown to be one of my favorite characters in Star Wars.

Blue 5, TX-20, LadySithLord and 3 others like this.
  6. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    Definitely. I love her. She's up there with all the other Star Wars heroes and characters in general.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That just made me realize how much I want to see this movie again! Friday needs to hurry the hell up!

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Friday... or April 12th...

9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Both.

10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, you Americans get the Blu-ray on April 4th. Highly unfair! :p

11. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, but we have to deal with Trump so you know... the universe owes us one. :p

12. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Fair enough - but tell him to not invent any more terrorist attacks in Sweden in the future! :p

EDIT: and to put this back on topic - I loved Felicity Jones in Rogue One. I'm reading Catalyst right now, and I think Felicity managed to get across a lot of the history of the characters in the film, even though I didn't know anything about said history until now.

13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    You can't tell Trump anything. All you can do is sit him in front of a TV and pray he doesn't get bored by Spongebob. :p

vncredleader and TCF-1138 like this.
  14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I've never had the luxury of political opinion.:cool:

TX-20 and vncredleader like this.
  15. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    She's really flat in this, I haven't seen the actress in other movies but I still feel it isn't her fault.

There's nothing on the page and whatever was there seemingly got removed in the reshoots and editing.

16. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Huh??..

17. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    There's nothing and nobody to fault, as Jones delivered the best performance of any SW lead thus far.

Mr. Forest likes this.
  18. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    I have her in my top 5:

1. Alec Guinness
    2. Harrison Ford
    3. Felicity Jones
    4. Adam Driver
    5. Mark Hamill
    6. Carrie Fisher
    7. Donnie Yen
    8. Daisy Ridley
    9. Anthony Daniels
    10. Ewan McGregor

That final expression of hers on the beach is going to stay with me for a long time.

[​IMG]

I expect Hamill to go up after Episode 8, if Abrams is correct.

19. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    No Ian Mcdiarmid or Peter Cushing?

I do agree about the awesomeness of Jones though. Best leading SW character in my eyes.

She already caught my attention in The Invisible Woman with Ralph Fiennes. I really wish MCU could get her back to reprise Black Cat.

Dr_Cthulhu likes this.
  20. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Felicity's right up there with Guinness and Cushing, IMO.

I love McDiarmid's Emperor, but he's too cartoonish to warrant a best actor nod.

21. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Felicity is definetly the best performed lead in the films so far. If we break it down, the "leads" are

1-3 Anakin
    4-6 Luke
    7 Rey
    R1 Jyn

Of those Felicity gives the best performance. Probably with Daisy and mark tied, with Hayden coming in third, and jake coming in last. Of course other characters are very central to the stories, but these characters make the films. Without them there is no narrative through line, so that makes them the leads. There might be better actors in the series as a whole, but so far she's the best lead

Darth__Lobot and Gigoran Monk like this.
  22. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I think quite a few people who think of the performance as flat or dour are slightly missing the point - the performance wasn't emotionless, the character was. Jyn has closed herself off from people and tamps down her emotions as she lives ''head down'' and just looks out for herself (initially at least.) A lot of her reactions and expressions are downplayed as befitting the character not through poor acting or directorial choice. And watching it back she does get more emotional and expressive as things go on, logically given her character's development (and which given films are frequently shot out of sequential order is pretty impressive on a technical level if nothing else.)

Darth Dnej likes this.
  23. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

More to the point - she actually behaves and emotes like a real person would. I think Rogue One has by far the most grounded/realistic characterizations of any of the SW films and personally I really enjoy that. I do get that people would prefer more mythic/fairy-tale type characters and that's ok. I just personally prefer characters that react/behave more like a person in the real world would.

Darth Dnej and jakobitis89 like this.
  24. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    It is realistic yes and it suits the nature of the film but wouldn't fit the tone of the ''main'' saga for me so for me both approaches are equally valid depending on what the film makers are going for. I personally find the comparisons between Rey and Jyn as characters to be pretty pointless as pretty much their one similarity is their gender. They are different types of characters in different types of film. Saying one is better or (ugh) 'stronger' is just bupkiss.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  25. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    Felicity at Celebration 2017:

Unfortunately, the interviewer decided she didn't want to speak with her, and Jyn Erso spent much of the "interview" checking out the decorations.