main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Emilia Clarke (Qi'ra) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Nov 18, 2016.

1. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    That's what I fear.

Either CGI, or costume obscuring her face.

It would be a shame.

Blue 5 likes this.
  2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    This. However, I do like the concept that the Imperials are essentially white chauvinist human supremacists. Especially given some of the dynamics we're witnessing today.

Baron_Papanerd and Avnar like this.
  3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I don't. It never made much sense to me and it makes things far less interesting.

4. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I can understand that. Though I've always felt Star Wars was strongest when it spoke to both timeless and timely issues, and suddenly, ethnic chauvinism is a big thing again. Rogue One had an extra resonance, IMO, because of the male whiteness of the Empire and the diversity of the Rogue One crew (and the broader Rebellion). I think Star Wars can be a great counter to some nasty political winds that are blowing. And this would be consistent with Lucas' approach, which was never for fantasy to be just fantasy.

But there are many ways to make Star Wars politically relevant. This isn't the only option.

5. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    For what its worth in one of their podcasts MSW reported seeing concept art for the Han Solo movie of a young human woman (probably Clarke) with a facial scar. Out of all the cast members Phoebe Waller-Bridge is rumoured to be playing a CG character, which to me decreases the chances of Clarke playing a CG role as well.

So while nothing has been confirmed, my educated guess would be that Emilia Clarke will look like herself in the movie.

6. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002

That would be good news, for me as a fan to have her instead of acting behind a costume or CG motion tracked character.

Nothing against non-human characters but I hate to have a good actor/actress wasted by being put behind a mask or replaced altogether via CG.

7. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    The problem for me, there's pretty much no in-story justification for the idea that the Empire is systematically racist/sexist in the OT, outside of the "well they're mostly old White British guys." Which in an of itself, has more to do with practically logistical filmmaking issues than anything else. In short, it's subsequent writers trying to add in something that wasn't there to begin with.

And also, we only got to see a TINY fraction of the Empire, so making judgments about it as a whole based off of such a miniscule sample size, doesn't work imo.

Also, up until ROTJ, even the supposedly "diverse" Rebels were almost entirely White and male (again practical logistical filmmaking issues). Aside from Leia, there's like one or two other women, and they're background fodder. And there's almost no aliens of POC either. They started to fix that in ROTJ, but even there the only other woman to get ANY kind of focus aside from Leia was Mon Mothma. And her role, was showing up in one scene, not being named, and giving a briefing, that's it. We don't even get a shot of her later on. There's a couple of POC really minor characters, and most of them get killed off.

So yeah, there's that to.

11-4D and Darth Nave like this.
  8. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
  9. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    And to be honest, I didn't find the FO half as scary as The Empire...not even close. :cool:

10. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I think that they're far more scary. Fanatics are always scarier imo. And what made the Empire scary wasn't that they were old White British dudes anyway.

11-4D and Mostly Handless like this.
  11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The Empire was the WW2 Nazis. Horrible, evil people at the top and throughout, but also a good deal of "Good Germans". Patriotic military who weren't evil as such. They fight for their country.

The New Order, are Neo-Nazis. Alt-Righters. They are the new young Haters, without any of the Old Guard trying to keep things Honourable.
    That means that they are less stable, less careful, more prone to doing stupid things, but also doing truly terrible things.

Anyway. Wrong place.

Emilia. sigh. They made Lupita a CGI creature, so what they do with Emilia is anyone's guess.
    Lupita just wanted to show her pure vocal acting skills. I get that.

12. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

So the Rebels are North Koreans, ISIS, druggies and SJWs?

And if these new droids do work out, I want to transmit my application to the Academy this year.

13. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    No. Just reasonable people who believe in an open, democratic society.

14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The devil you say!

15. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    Emilia Clarke plays a serious role in Game of Thrones and Daenerys rarely smiles and never laughs, but Clarke in real life is a jokester and loves to laugh...and I would guess that her character will be more light-hearted than Daenerys. But who knows?

I wonder how many Star Wars fans don't watch Game of Thrones and therefore don't know who she is or understand she already plays a very major character in a very prominent and popular piece of fiction.

Padme501st, ladygrey45 and TX-20 like this.
  16. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I'd actually love to see this, especially the facial scar part.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  17. Blue 5

Jan 6, 2017

She's the Mother of Dragons.

Padme501st likes this.
  18. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    Hope she gets a good part to play in the movie. Really like her. Even liked her in Terminator, an otherwise pretty bad movie.

Padme501st and Avnar like this.
  19. Blue 5

Jan 6, 2017
    Really good Game of Thrones Season 7 Preview, a breakdown of official promo material. Emilia is filming Daenerys in the last 2 seasons of Game of Thrones AND Star Wars. Huge roles...she's at the apex of her career.

TX-20 likes this.
  20. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    So by using your logic, since all the main protagonists of SW films are white so far (and the only diverse cast members are secondary characters), that indirectly means the white people are also the ones who are guiding the diverse people into this open democratic society? :p Please!

It's all BS. I wouldn't read too much into it. This whole thing about the Empire being white supremacists was never a thing until recently, and the nazi references in the OT were very, very subtle. If anything, I'd call the Empire more fascist than nazi. However, we all know JJ Abrams went full nazi in TFA, which was kind of laughable. There was no subtlety whatsoever.

Star Wars is still a fantasy and while George always did drew parallells to real-life events such as the Vietnam War for ROTS, he was very subtle with it.

That being said, we all know the reason why both the Empire and the Rebellion were both so white and male in the OT. Making the FO something different is good, but it's true that while the Rebellion has evolved into something more diverse on screen during the years - the same can't be said about the Empire. Which is BS, since there are so much new canon material that includes diverse people in the Empire.

The world is not black and white. I thought you would understand it.

21. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Guys, I just heard some exciting news. Emilia Clarke is going to be in the Han Solo movie! Let's discuss that!

TX-20 and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  22. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I have no problems with Emilia Clarke playing an alien character, either covered in makeup or via CGI performance. I'm sure she'll do a good job anyways.

Although I don't think its true, since I thought Phoebe Waller-Bridge was supposed to be the alien character in the film. So Emilia is probably just playing a human character.... that being said, I'm fine with both.

Sure, when Jonipoon enters the discussion, THEN it's time to tell everyone to get back to topic. As usual.

23. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Given that you decided to dredge up a one-line post from three weeks ago and reply with five paragraphs when that detour had already died a natural death, then yes, it was time to tell everyone to get back on topic.

24. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    TBH -- I don't know if she picks the wrong parts or is just over rated. I have never seen her in anything aside from the 1st 2 season of GoT where I PERSONALLY like her acting chops.

I felt like - at least in The Terminator it likely had more to do with Directing than her acting. A single Sarah Connor smile was 1 too many for me.

I get that she has more than enough fans -- and I don't dispute her serving it -- it's just never been my cup of tea.

As far as young, white, british -- while odd -- doesn't mean much to me.
    As far as people being upset with Han being "re-cast" -- oddly the first person to mention it was the only reason why I noticed -- and they were I think trying to say people are upset. Despite my not seeing any posts of anyone saying so.
    Could you imagine them de-aging Harrison Ford?

I hope they take advantage more of Emilia's natural abilities and don't pigeon hole her into a part because of her name-recognition. My gut tells me that is not remotely the case. I have no reservations about supporting this casting as of now...

And I'd be loving it if they make her the same character as the one in ANH cut scene

25. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I'd like to have her named Sarah Connor calling Han "Pops"