main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade The Episode 3.20: "Twin Suns" (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Mar 18, 2017.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Mar 25, 2017.
  1. 10

26.8%
  2. 9

27.5%
  3. 8

18.1%
  4. 7

2.9%
  5. 6

9.4%
  6. 5

2.9%
  7. 4

2.9%
  8. 3

1.4%
  9. 2

1.4%
  10. 1

6.5%
  1. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to Rebels Season 3! Have you watched "Twin Suns" yet? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you not give a **** at all? Let us know.
    Click your grade and if you want, be a critic and let us know why!
    Note: This poll will close one week from now.

2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    6/10

A tough wicket to work on. Dave did his best with it; hands were tied because of OT.

3. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Awful. Never went into Mauls motive for killing Obi-Wan, a plot resolved in lawless, and wasted 17 minutes on Ezra wandering. Luke is toddler sized. Just awful.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    9/10

Excellent all around. Some good development for Ezra once he meets up with Ben. They definitely nailed the OT-era Kenobi, both in terms of dialogue and mannerisms. And what a great duel; this was enver going to be some long, flashy fight all across the desert- it was very much a more personal and nuances duel between two old men who have lost everything, with Ben's hope versus Maul's anguish and despair being the crucial difference between them. I would have liked to see Luke close up at the end, but the ending was good enough as is that I'll let it pass.

CIS Droid, J7Luke, prlrocks and 6 others like this.
  5. JH24

JH24 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    An episode that becomes more enjoyable after watching it a few times. The first time I watched it I was too focused on the upcoming Maul vs. Obi wan scene that I got irritated with how much screentime Ezra got, and then ended up irritated about the last scenes feeling a bit rushed.

Things I liked:

- Obi-wan vs. Maul. Short but sweet. Not a flashy fight but full of meaning and emotions.
    - The bond between Ezra and Chopper.
    - Amazing looking backgrounds.
    - The ending scene with Luke in the distance. Beautiful.

Things I didn't like as much:

- Too much focus on Ezra. Could have given a bit more time to Obi wan and Maul.
    - No consequences. Ezra steals a ship and disobeys orders but as soon as he gets home everyone lets him off the hook.

My first score was a 5/10 (but didn't vote), after rewatching it I'll give it a 7/10.

6. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    10 for me. I don't see any reason to mark it down. I didn't even mind the 15 minutes of Ezra. The highlight was obviously Maul vs Kenobi though, which is a triumph of substance over style.

7. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    8 from me - Maul and Kenobi part was 10 hands down. Wandering Ezra was bad but doable but a total lack of consequences for him and instant forgiveness dragged my high opinion down.

8. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Another cool episode.

9. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    9/10 - loved the ending

V-2 likes this.
  10. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    This got a 10 from me as well. It fulfilled what I wanted.

V-2 likes this.
  11. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    3/10

Very disappointed, the fight everyone was waiting for lasted 2 seconds, and was not even a real fight, most of the episode was annoying and about Ezra and Chopper being lost in the desert. :(

12. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    3/10. Ezra needs to **** off and die already. All he does is steal screentime from characters who deserve it more.

13. Mr Bogan

Mr Bogan Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 28, 2016
    I'm still not sure where Ezra's journey is going. Maybe in the end (of season 4?) it will all make sense, and all these experiences and contacts (with older characters with history he doesn't even grasp) will have a meaning and will have some sort of impact on what happens to him. I hope this is the case, or else his part in these stories will become irrelevant and just annoying.

Pending my opinion on Ezra and his relevance as a SW character, if they do that right I will give this episode a 9/10. Some niggles here or ther don't allow me to give it the 10/10, but it came close.

14. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I give it a 5 or 6/10.
    for Maul's end, the whole episode should have focused on telling Maul's last story ever from his point of view.
    In the end this episode made me feel like they should never have brought Maul back in Rebels. As he was nothing but a side villain. It felt rushed, too much focus on Ezra/Chopper. And in the end it just feels like Maul's death was just brushed aside by everyone as if it didn't mean anything to anyone. All those Ezra-Maul connection in the end went nowhere as Ezra just left as the action started and missed everything.

this episode also reminds me that Rebels really lacks story arcs, this story could should have been a 2 parter.

Darth Wookiee and JH24 like this.
  15. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    8/10 Quite unexpected the way it went but I though the last 5 minutes was excellent. It's amazing to think that Maul went from a skilled grunt in TPM to quite a complex character now. I have to say I might actually miss him :p

V-2 likes this.
  16. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I did not expect it to be that good. First 10/10 of the season from me. It's not without its problems and convolutions, but taking all that into account it's about as good as it could possibly be.

It didn't do quite what I wanted or cynically expected - the way the season trailer spelled it out was brilliantly misleading.

What do Maul's last words mean? Who specifically was the "us"? Jedi and Sith? Him and Ben personally?

Jedi Chloe likes this.
  17. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

As a person who values both appearance as well as content, I get disappointed when a storyteller makes a clear choice of one over the other. The best way to handle these things is to have a good balance of both.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  18. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I give it a 0 overall for development and behind the scenes stuff, while they did not do Maul(or Ray Park) any justice or respect at all by turning him into a lousy / uncommitted fighter and a deliberate bias towards having a faux Alec Kenobi - overall lackluster hyped up/ built up rematch" just failed miserably. For the actual
    death scene
    , and in-universe storyline and characters , the episode it was handled well enough for typical Rebels programming and I give it a 4.

Erkan12 and thatotherjedi like this.
  19. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    There was a clear Maul story arc this season. It was all one story. The difference was that it was episodic rather than anthology.
    Holocrons of Fate > Visions and Voices > Twin Suns.
    Maul and Ezra share a fractured vision, Maul and Ezra figure it out, Maul and Ezra act on the vision. Maul gives the Rebels trouble all throughout, so it's loosely relevant to the Rebels storyline overall.

V-2 likes this.
  20. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I'm not saying that I dislike style or that this duel lacked it, just that it didn't outshine everything else underlying the duel, i.e. the characters' backstories and history with each other, the emotions coursing through their systems, their intentions for why they're fighting, etc. which I think can be said for some of the classic prequel and TCW duels.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  21. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    my point about story arc is not about his seasonal arc (what little he had), I'm taking consecutive episodes that deals with one story. Meaning Maul's end should have been an arc as in minimum 2 episodes instead of a standalone episode that was rushed and that took to much focus off Maul.

22. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

I see your point. But in order to feel monumental, to be memorable, a duel needs to have amazing action sequences, interwoven with emotional moments. The duel on Malachor between Ahsoka and Vader is memorable because it had action-packed sequences as well as meaningful character moments. If you pick one over the other, you aren't telling your story in the best way possible.

23. thatotherjedi

thatotherjedi Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2015
    5/10

Well directed but what was the point of this storyline?

24. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    9/10
    Last 10 minutes were awesome. Loved the end with the Lars homestead, but I wished that duel could have been more than 2 seconds and shorten up the amount of time spent on Ezra.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  25. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    9/10. Way too much time on Ezra but last 10 minutes were very strong. I didn't expect the duel to end so quickly but it was very well done and a strong final meeting between two old enemies. Loved the end.

Awesome to see the Sand People in animated form.