main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    It's a vague prophecy of (I believe) unknown origin that could be misread. The who doesn't matter; it's the what that does as long as the what is Hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    In the original D20 game, 7th level was when you became a Jedi Knight.

So, Kanan hitting that at the end of Season 1 isn't bad.

Also, Vader owning him the way he did seems appropriate....even if he faced a Jedi master.

3. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    It kinda does to an extent though. He has been around this kid for years and seen how powerful he is. He does not know is Leia is that powerful necessarily not to mention by the time of Luke's training Leia is involved in military stuff and has attachments and a duty to the Alliance. Better to have Luke be treated as the chosen one and have him be the target cause less rely on him beyond being FS. Leia has thousands no trillions who need her help beyond the prophecy so having Luke be the one to essentially be shoved into the stop the Sith stuff makes more sense. If he fails then Leia will be trained. Until then keep her somewhat safe by at least making the enemy think she is merely an enemy of normal power and not a direct threat to them Force wise.

That and he has seen Luke for years and likely has a bias toward him. It is not cause he is a boy, if Leia was the one he watched over he would likely have the same attitude. If I spent 20 years protecting someone I would push that they are said new hope.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Another video to add

MercenaryAce and Ghost like this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't think anyone meant to imply Lucas was being sexist about this, and we all know the OOU reasons why things are the way they are.

But still... the Chosen One isn't some inherited title. The Chosen One is who the Chosen One is, regardless of that person's temperament. Neither did the Chosen One have to be whoever was closest to Obi-wan. Obi-wan doesn't say "he might be the Chosen One." When asked if it's the Chosen One, Obi-wan says "he is." Not "possibly." It suggests to me that he must have had a vision of Luke standing over Vader's body, or something like that.

But anyways, another question about this episode...
    When Ezra wants to go save/warn Obi-wan... how does he know it's Tatooine that he has to go to, casually mentioning it to Kanan and Hera and the rest? Did I miss something in another episode? There's more than one planet in the galaxy with twin suns.

But power-level (which Luke didn't really display) and attachments (which Luke still had) don't determine if you're the Chosen One or not. Even if Obi-wan thought it would be easier to train Luke as a Jedi
    1. he still could have trained both at the same time
    2. the person easiest to train as a Jedi isn't necessarily the Chosen One

TheRedBlade, Vialco and vncredleader like this.
  6. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Now that would be a cool vision to show in a future SW comic or Kenobi film.

Revanfan1 and Ghost like this.
  7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I mainly wish the Chosen One exchange hadn't happened it because it kind of took me out of the moment. And it just seemed like a weird thing for Maul to bring up.

That being said, I really did like that Maul's final thought (that he articulated, at least) was of revenge.

Oh and, just to go back to the subject of the choreography:

I liked that Maul TRIED to go for the same hilt-to-the-face move that he used to best Qui-Gon.

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Finale coming up soon, they killed off Maul...But what about Thrawn? I'm more worried about his life right now.

9. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Barriss_Coffee, CaptainPeabody Revanfan1: I lack creativity in my imagination. I love the ideas of there being something off-screen, something that can be visited about it. I honestly didn't think it was sexism at all, since his character never even gave hint of that.

Ulicus I felt the same as you
    about the "chosen one" feeling out of place. That was strange to hear Maul talking about that.
    Did he turn in those last moments? Or does he just hate Vader and Palpatine so doesn't want them to have their hands on anything?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    He definitely didn't turn. No doubt in my mind.

I would have liked to see the yellow leave his eyes as he died, though.

On the other hand, people would have been all "omg redemption" when I'd have just taken it as telegraphing when he left the building. :p

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I honestly think it's as simple as this. He ended up watching Luke so he needs to believe Luke is the Golden Child. And not for nothing, but he also thought Luke had to kill Vader.

Man, you must have found Return of the Jedi really insulting.

Slater, TheRedBlade, SWpants and 3 others like this.
  12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think by the time we meet Maul in Rebels... he knows he's broken. He knows Sidious ruined his life. He wants Sidious and Vader destroyed, but know it can't be him. He wishes he could be as noble as Kenobi, but thinks it's too late for him.

Maul is the Evil that has recognized that he is Evil, but just can't help it.

His last thoughts are of vengeance. But not only for him, but also for Obi-wan. In the end, he sees Obi-wan as a kindred spirit, and part of him probably longed if not outright desired to be killed by Kenobi. In his own twisted way, Maul knew he was a plague on others, knew he should have died on Naboo, and wanted it to be Obi-wan.

In a very twisted way, Maul had grown to see Obi-wan as his brother... and even show some kind of compassion for him, in the only way he could, through a desire for revenge.

13. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016

I would never expect every character to die in a single movie. But personally I'm more of a prequel fan myself.

That ending was overall very good to that trilogy as it was a classical "Good guy wins" case that rhymed very well with Episode III which ended with the bad guys winning, and far more people dying. It served its purpose as the conclusion, and happy ending to the saga which I have no issue with. ROTJ killed off Anakin, Palpatine, Yoda and even Jabba for what little he mattered. It was a satisfying finish to the Saga, with every major Saga centric character receiving their proper end. And the OT character could still be followed in the EU, so they weren't exactly "left hanging" (At that point at least).

The film as a whole wouldn't have worked as effectively if all three heros died. It Wouldn't have hurt were one to do so, but I was content with it as it is.

No single episode/movie/book/event can be insulting on its own. Only an overall theme. IE a character keeps coming back, and back, and back, regardless of the sense or logic of their survival. Like those Jedi that were walking about alive and well during and after the OT in Legends I disliked as flying in the face of the movies which stated Luke was the last.
    Or how they intentionally dropped the fait of Luke, Leia, Han etc. the moment they realized they were coming to the end of their natural lives. Avoiding the issue, and refusing to give them a proper conclusion. (This is where their fait was really dropped off, and this is where i'm sincerely dissatisfied)

I know Lucas told them not to, and I understand why because he wanted to keep his options open. But it was still very disappointing for me personally

I may wish the old EU would have had the ability to tackle the fait of the "Big Three" in a proper manner. But I'm happy the Sequels are accomplishing that, and hopeful that the two survivors will receive their conclusions in due time.

I don't hate a movie for failing to kill a character, or give them their end. But I greatly dislike when that character is all but used to death, then dropped because the creators are afraid of disappointing certain fans who refuse to accept no one lives forever.

I understand and respect the arguments of those who disagree, but this is simply my POV.

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    For me, Maul saying Luke would avenge them shows he was still a Sith at heart. Just a pathetic Sith who was as much a victim as anyone.

TheRedBlade and MercenaryAce like this.
  15. AusartheVile

AusartheVile Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2016
    First off thanks for reading my post to begin with. And it's cool if we don't agree on everything. Great things about discussion and debates in general is that contrary to popular belief and current modern day politics, you can have a different opinion and still discuss it in a friendly or least civil manner.

Anyways, looking back at Twilight of the Apprentice, after seeing the Twin Suns episode I can say that Vaders utter WTF reaction to Ezra Bridger, Jedi Padawn, having awoken the equivalent of an ancient Sith Starkiller Base. I might get into Twin Suns territory as I go on so I start spoiler tagging here.

When I mean a WTF reaction, I mean the closest you can get to, a does not compute error with a Soth Lord like Vader. "How did you unlock the secret of the Temple." He wouldn't reveal that he was confused as heck to someone like Ezra, as Ezra is supposed to be beneath him, a weak Jedi apprentice at best. Hence why his next line is "No matter, this temple will soon belong to the Emperor." He immediately dismisses it as a fluke yes and just goes to screw with Ezra, but looking back, other than the times Vader was with Kenobi, or Vader in ESB or ROTJ was interacting with Luke, I think that actual question from Vader was him really asking honestly to Ezra how in the heck did he get the Sith Holocron and activate a Sith superweapon, that if we take in Twilight of the Apprentice's cut Maul dialogue canon ala a Siege of Mandalor, Sidious had been trying to get access to for years, with Maul, and perhaps Vader. I think maybe that's why he actually toyed with Ezra in that chamber at first instead of just gutting him. Vader in the New EU is all about getting things done completely. In Siege of Lothal it made sense to toy with them because it was a scare tactic to make them not think clearly. Here however, Ezra is on a freaking Sith temple on Malachor, alone with Darth Vader. I felt that Vader decided to see if Ezra had gained any more worth since their first encounter on Lothal, probably all because Ezra did something that apparently Sidious had failed at. But how does this lead back to S3 you might say? Next paragraph will elaborate my friends.

I'm gonna say this again and again until I'm blue in the face, but Ezra is a walking contradiction. When hes alone on Malachor, he ends up working with Darth Maul and gets closer to the dark side as a result. In Twin Suns, Kenobi makes it clear to his act of going alone to Tatooine was pushing away from his true destiny and closer into Maul's gambit. When Kanan left him alone in between S2 and S3, he started sliding down the dark side slope completely without hesitation. Ezra somehow, for some reason, neither fits into the Luke mold of, I trust in my friends to do their part but will not let fear for their lives consume me, nor the Anakin mold of ATTACHMENTS + Teenage Jedi hormones= Downward Spiral into Dark Side obsession with saving loved ones!

Ezra's natural talent in the Force, whether he uses its more serene, peaceful animal control, or the dark side control of the walker in Steps into Shadow. He is just naturally good at creating attachments. He is able to empathize and relate to everyone on the GHOST Crew except for the new face of Astromech D!cks, Chopper, but even Chopper decided to stick with Ezra in the Twins Suns episode. Chopper stayed loyal to kid. He may screw with Ezra, but even they have establish a connection. Ezra didn't get driven into the darkside because "I want to protect my friends." It's made very clear that Ezra was really freaking traumatized by all that went down Malachor, and some massive guilt, pushing him to try to fill the void of Kanan. But the problem was that Ezra was and still is an apprentice and a young teen at that and need guidance when Kanan had cut himself off from everyone. If Kanan had (unrealistically) retained his confidence as a teacher and kept teaching Ezra during those six months, that Holocron would have known about by Kanan immediately. And Ezra would have told Kanan willing is my bet. But without Kanan to be a source of wisdom, Ezra decided that for the sake of his friends, he needed to become as better as he possibly could to fill the void of Kanan. Yes it's connected to his friends, but the key point here is that none of other Ghost Crew are Jedi. They don't get that part of teaching. In the end it was Kanan cutting himself off that truly triggered Ezra's downward slope in S3.

Which leads me to my next point. Why is Ezra, when other Jedi of old would backslide faster than a water slide when attachments get involved, seemingly far more stable and more Jedi like when he's relying on his attachments. It's not like Luke, as Luke made to choice to leave his friends in ROTJ because he understood that as long as Vader could track him, being near his friends could potentially give Vader oppruntities like in ESB when torturing Han. Luke is detached in the ways a Jedi would be except when he actively believes in his father chance for redemption.

But Ezra is not Luke. And definitely not Anakin contrary to popular belief. And he does not fit the Obi-Wan mold in any form... (Can I mention again how much I appreciated the subtle difference between the Ezra/Kenobi dynamic and the Luke/Kenobi dynamic. I really want Luke and Ezra to meet post ROTJ now, just for Ezra to come face to face with what he came this close to uncovering.)

While Kanan started off somewhere undefined and became more traditional blind master of a Jedi Knight, I can say with a lot of certainty, at least in the what is made up of Canon (not Legends) that Ezra is somebody that would give the impression at first that he shouldn't be able to pull off resisting the darkside or being able to stay on the light. He's very unique as a force wielder. I had my doubts about him in when the show first started, but I can say with a honest smile that Ezra is the "odd exception where the main protagonist is actually on my favorite characters in said show" list.

(Side:Note. This time I double checked. The spoiler tags. If this end up showing up wrong on the forums again I get reprimanded, I'm never using my the chrome app on my mobile devices to post on this forum again. This thing glitches out on this site way to often.)

SWpants likes this.
  16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think Luke has always been arguably of the idea attachments make you stronger than weaker as they give you a reason to care about the galaxy and its people. The Jedi fundamentally misunderstood the concept of them or some idiot philosopher (I'm looking at you Odan Urr). Anakin's psychosis over Padme isn't about her, it's about HIM. His fear of being alone and losing her that he betrays everything she stands for.

Ironically, Anakin's pick up line about being encouraged to love is probably his closest to getting what Jedi philosophy should be.

Similarly, I think Ezra grows as a person because of his attachments as they pull him back from the Dark Side.

17. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I don't think the Jedi misunderstand the concept - they were very dogmatic about it, sure, but I think that has more to do with running a strictly dogmatic galaxy-wide order, rather than misapprehension. You say "Anakin's psychosis over Padme isn't about her, it's about HIM," which is sort of what Yoda says, too. That's, fundamentally, what the fear of attachment is about.

18. AusartheVile

Oct 12, 2016
    Seriously? Seriously? Okay stop the train here. This is starting to get aggravating to an extent now, mostly because Twin Suns, if you realize it's the conclusion and explanation for Ezra's arc this season with Kenobi and Maul being symbolic of his conflict, then this statement becomes moot. Bendu said it when he first saw Ezra. Bendu keeps an eye on the Ezra and Sabine conversation where Ezra is starting to develop back from his downward spiral into the darkside and begins to reconnect with Sabine. Tell me when was Ezra in S2 at his most efficent without using Malachor, as Ezra was more a pawn in Maul's chess game in that. I would say that Stealth Strike showed Ezra at his best in S2 combat wise then. Stealth Strike however took place before Legacy, as in finding out your parents really ar gone forever tramua, and before the hell of worms that is Malachor.

Now when was Ezra at his best in S3. In EP1, when he completed decimated every storm trooper getting in his a way and showing of powerful dark side Force techniques with the mind control. What does both these points in each season have in common and what is different.

Common: Ezra is currently confident and sure of himself in both scenarios, and is not in conflict with himself.
    Different: In Stealth Strike he showed mercy to the storm troopers when it was possible (until the great and terrible Chopper became if not the first well-known rebel to wipe out a massive number of lives as collateral damage before Luke and the Death Star, I'm sure as heck he is still on number 1. As the most muderous Rebel Astromech EVER.)

And in Steps into Shadow, he's leaving no witnesses and is willing to pull off some twisted things, like mind controlling that walker to kill his allies then himself. But did he show any doubt or conflict in that moment. No. Ezra was in control, and for better or Force, the Force by it's nature relies on being focused and to let it flow through you. Dark Side or not, if Ezra was conflicted in that moment, that would have weakened his power over the Force, as his conflict would make hard to stay focused.

And then Steps into Shadow ends with Ezra watching as his use of the darkside as brought him to near death, only saved by Kanan returning right when Ezra needed a guiding light most, and saved him. And in Holocrons of Fate, Kanan helps Ezra confront the issues that pushed him into relying on the Sith Holocron in Kanan's absence.

See this my major ephiany. When Bendu is talking about balance, he isn't talking about the Force per say, he's talking about the stability and health of the open mind. The Force at its core is about trusting it, which is also just like trusting your instincts. When Ezra in both examples I listed fought his opponents, he was fully in tune with the Force. Stealth Strike, merciful and heroic. Steps into Shadow, merciless and cold. Unlike other Darksideds who just seem to force the force to do what they want through emotion, when ever Ezra used the dark side he seemed always more detached when ever he was actively in combat. When Ezra would use the light side his emotions were far more present in the combat scenes.

But I digress. The whole point of Twin Suns, was to help Ezra finally realize whether he wants to be a dark side user, or a light side. Whether he will cling on to his obsessive attachment of destroying the Sith in order to make his sacrifices to get her justified, or will he admit his mistakes and return to people who need him now the most. And Ezra finally solves the imbalance within himself when he returns to the Ghost Crew.

And in response to Ezra being weak. To exemplify my point about his conflict being the source of why he was weak this reason, and that being caused by his loss of convincition and confidence due to his mistakes in Steps in Shadow making me doubt whether he was following the right path, I would point that the Zero Hour teasers seem to be showing Ezra finally going full Jedi and regaining the confidence and conviction that made him strong in the light, as well as the dark. If you disagree...well I can't change your mind, I'm just a guy on the Internet. It's your opinion after all.

19. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    More Maul, no Ezra, and a better fight would have improved this episode. A short duel is fine, but make it worthy to actually be called a lightsaber duel.

CT1138 likes this.
  20. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I liked the fight, but would have enjoyed more investigation into Kenobi and Maul's feelings about Palpatine, and their kinship.

21. AusartheVile

Oct 12, 2016
    Yeah, true. I suppose I'm focusing in the fact that if you take Maul's last scene in Vision's and Voices with Ezra as Maul internally throwing away the pretense of trying to subtly manipulate him, as him literally pleading sincerely with Ezra to become his apprentice, to become his "brother," then Ezra, just by willing to empathize, relate, and try to give Maul the benefit of the doubt in Twilight of the Apprentice actually on some level touched Maul. Ezra for better or for worse, is someone who accepts that some people can't change (Hondo.) but is willing to accept that in stride as long as their actions aren't actively and maliciously targeting those he cares about or innocent lives. Maul could have been in similar position and dynamic Hondo and Ezra in, but because Maul actively and maliciously targeted Ezra's friends, Ezra doesn't want to give him ANY bit of empathy. And yet, as I go down this train of thought, in Twins Suns Kenobi says Maul used Ezra's desire to do good and help people to help Maul find Kenobi.

What if all the times we thought Ezra was being stupid in trusting Maul after every dirty tricks he's pulled since Malchor and up to Twin Suns wasn't stupidity? What if Ezra, even though he does hate Maul for what he's done to Ezra's friends time and time again, can't help but still feel the smallest bit of empathy. The thing about everything between Maul and Ezra in the Malachor episode was that, that in Maul's eyes, he never ever lied to Ezra. To Sith knowledge is power. The Holocron unlocked the knowledge of temple, which is the power to destroy life in the galaxy. When Maul talked about what Sidious did to him, it was filled with emotion. When Maul struck down the Seventh Sister, he actually comforted Ezra, but made a point to sternly reminded him that his enemies won't show the same mercy he was showing them. In the Anakin/Sidious relationship, yes their relationship was based around half-truths, but everything relating to fueling Anakin's paranoia about the Jedi, his tempting of power, all of that, at least in canon, have no basis in truth. Sidious is lying through his ass, but he has no true emotional attachment to even his half-truths he speaks.

Maul/Ezra on the other hand was always different. Maybe it was Maul's relationship with Savage that began to change him, or maybe Ezra against all odds, did bring out the last bit of light left in Maul's heart by being willing to trust him on Malachor in those moments. Maybe he chose to save Ezra from falling to his doom instead of taking the Holocron on Malachor because he had in some subconscious level, gained an attachment to him, which he justified by saying he will take Ezra as his apprentice.

But the point I'm making is that Maul doesn't even say half-truths. As a Sith, he was subservient to Palpatine. When he and Savage worked together, Savage was subservient to him. But in a twisted way, Maul actually had a healthier relationship with Ezra then he did with own brother. He treated Ezra as an equal, even letting Ezra finish his discussion with Obi-Wan Kenobi politely and letting Ezra leave before finishing his own story for good.

It honestly now makes Maul's death even sadder in hindsight. Maybe, Maul had a chance of redemption in Ezra just like Vader had one in Luke. Except instead of father being redeemed by the son, it would have been a brother redeeming a brother. But at least Maul can rest easy knowing the Chosen One will not only avenge the Sith, but that he was able to leave behind a form of legacy with Ezra Bridger. For whatever his future brings, we know for certain thanks to Kenobi that it's tied directly to the Rebellion and the battle between them and the Empire. Ezra Bridger. Apprentice to Darth Maul, and Kanan Jarrus. The Twilight of the Apprentice.....I really do think now that Twilight of the Apprentice NEVER meant Ahoska. This was always Ezra's story, and now soon the end of the third chapter of said story ends. The wait for the next episode will be unbearable.

Ghost likes this.
  22. AusartheVile

Oct 12, 2016
    Um aren't you the guy who thinks Ezra and Kanan shouldn't be anywhere near the OT. Not trying to be rude but I've seen your arguments, and they are fair ones. However Ezra being in the
    Twin Suns episode was the most pivotal part, because his conversation with Kenobi is not only a more down to earth and less vague explanation of why Bendu warned about the Holocrons merging, but their are many layers of subtext that made Ezra an important piece. But not because he's diminishing Luke in any way. I'm going to reiterate what I said a while back. The writers knew an Obi-Wan Maul fight would end with Maul dying. At this point it's just time for Maul to breath his last. So continuing with the thematic idea that Maul's story is a tragedy, they make even his final clash end with a whimper. Maybe it seems disrespectful to do that to Maul, but here's they key factor that seems only a few people noticed in hindsight.

Ezra is as important as Luke. But the scene with Kenobi is all about Kenobi help Ezra process this one ultimate truth: He can't help destroy the Sith. And when starts mentioning the Holocrons, they actively made something a plot point that I thought somebody like you would actually appreciate. When Bendu said in Holocrons of Fate that any HIDDEN truth can be seen through the force, learning destines and all that, and that once it is known it cannot be unknown, it was trying to make it clear to Ezra and Kanan that these secrets were being ACTIVELY HIDDEN from other Force Users such as Palpatine by the Force itself. Maul and Ezra joining the Holocrons together to learn about the Twin Suns was NEVER SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN. Kenobi kept saying this one absolute fact, that Maul had LEAD Ezra away from his TRUE destiny, which lies with Ghost Crew, all the way to Tatooine because those visions. This encounter between Ezra and Kenobi is stated by Kenobi to have NEVER SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED in universe. The Force can hid these secrets, but the future is always in motion, and above all else, the Force can only influence and guide living things, it cannot control their choices. They literally make the fact Maul and Ezra are literally on the edge of breaking the canon of OT into pieces as a literal plot point. The Force represents Canon, and tried again and again and again to lead Ezra back into to the right path...and in the end, it took Kenobi to guide a Padawn back to light and towards his true destiny.

And honestly, without gushing even more about the meta subtext, I thought that the conversation with Kenobi and Ezra, along with the chosen one dialogue with dying Maul and Kenobi would have satiated your worries about Ezra taking away from Luke's importance as the one who defeats the Sith.

Kenobi makes very clear, that the Force has plans for Ezra, but if you look at the subtext, how Kenobi focus on the group and team Ezra left behind, not only Ezra being a Jedi, which is only touched on when discussing the Holocrons. Go back to Season 1. Ezra was born on Empire Day, born on the birth of the Empire. His parents were proto-rebels of sorts before being. Imprisoned. He spent his life before meeting Kanan being defiant against the Empire when he could, and had a little bit of unseen empathy towards the innocents. He brodcasted the message that would trigger the first Union of Rebel Cells, and through attempting to rescue Kanan, caused domino effect that finally made this conflict go 'hot', forcing other Rebels cells to step up their game (this was confirmed in S3's Secret Cargo when the other Rebel Cell literally complained about the Ghost Crew making the conflict far too much of a firefight.) S2 he was able to help get Rex and the Clones to work with Kanan. He was able to temporarily unite former Jedi, recently knighted Jedi Kanan, and former Sithlord Darth Maul against the Inquistors and Vader, neutralizing the threat of the Inquisotrs for the time being, ensured that Sidious wouldn't get access to a Ancient Sith Death Star by destroying it, as well as escaping with and eventually accidents destroying the Sith Holocron. Ezra was born with the Force not to fight the battle of the Sith, but to use the Force's connection with all living things to help unite the Rebels into a significant whole.

And the best part? All the things Ezra did to cause those consequences They aren't grand acts of awesome, or even was them making more important than Luke. Only Luke has the power and strength of conviction to face Vader and the Emperor and prevail, and of course Leia, don't forget her. But they've all but said directly to the audience that it isn't being a Jedi that makes Ezra important. His parents were proto-rebels. He was born on the inception of the Empire. His small acts of defiance, rebellion, and above all empathy have been slowly causing more and more ripple effects across the galaxy. He isn't going to be talked about in the stories about who defeated the Empire...Ezra's job is to set up the stage for Luke to finish this chapter in the saga. His actions are small, but the smallest voice can change the world sometimes.

Your thoughts on this? I would honestly really like to discuss Rebels and OT without devolving into the same argument, so I think talking more about what was Ezra's purpose in the episode of Twin Suns for Ezra's character would be a smart idea, don't you think?

23. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    You bring up some interesting points in your analyze of Ezra's journey and destiny. Btw don't know why my response is under spoilers.

24. AusartheVile

Oct 12, 2016
    Some other things that Kenobi's more human explanation of why using the Holocrons had diverted Ezra path from his true destiny explained in my eyes is why.

1. The Bendu actively only warned of its potential danger, but did not say Ezra and Kanan to use it or not.
    2. Why Darth Sidious wouldn't have just convinced Anakin to help him merge Holocrons by saying he could how to save Pademe.
    3. Why Kenobi chose to fight Maul alone instead of allowing Ezra to help. It's not just that he doesn't need the help. I'll elaborate.

The explanation for all three comes down to the incredibly meta yet perfectly explainable in-universe idea that merge two Holocrons together is not like seeing visions of the future. With Anakin's visions it was the future was always in motion, and his acting of his visions was what killed Pademe. But if he made a different choice, interpreted it differently, then it may have been avoidable. The Force can show many futures to many people if it so pleases, but thats the key word. The Force can influence things show different outcomes. But some futures are so critical to the balance of the Force, that allowing even one bit such information to reach say, someone like Sidious, could create so many new variables and outcomes that this critical prophecy actually has been completed thrown off the rails. Anakin misinterpreted the future. The Holocrons merging on the other hand, literally create a scenario where the a pivotal destiny of one person is discovered, and now, that person may be targeted before he or she was meant be place on the chess game of the Force. It literally is the ultimate perversion of the Force's purpose. To use the Force to learn a destiny it deemed unknowable for the sake of balance, and then use that knowledge to destroy that pivotal future.

But how does this explain why Sidiojs never did it? Duh! Sidious is all about controlling all the variables, knowing what every outcome is. Because Ezra merged the Holocrons, and the secret was literally still trapped in his and Mauls head, it eventually was uncovered by them, and warped Ezra fate away from his true purpose, while in Maul's case it brought him to his demise, as he knew that Ezra's key to destroying the Sith was Also on Tatooine, and the fact that Obi-Wan is just hiding there and dodging all of Ezra's questions about that topic made it easy for Maul to put together the pieces. Because Ezra asked that question, Maul knew enough to put Kenobi in a situation where Maul COULD NOT be allowed to live. Ezra's question is what truly doomed Maul in hindsight. That why Sidious would never risk such a gamble. You get access to any secret you desire, but in doing so, any future tied to that destiny is now completely unpredictable, because you have literally defied the Force's grand design. And that type of risk is something a socipathic control freak like Papaltine would never attempt to do.

And that leads to why Kenobi told Ezra to leave. It wasn't just because he felt certain he could handle Maul. Think about it. Unless both Maul and EZRA at the same time abandoned their quest keep find Kenobi, any action taken with Kenobi right there potentially could change the destiny of Luke forever. Hence why Maul had to die. But the reason why Ezra had to leave even after he had accepted the key to destroying to Sith was part of his destiny, wasn't because Kenobi didn't think Ezra couldn't assist in form. It because until Maul and Ezra, the two people who merged the Holocrons, have given up the search or have been slain, the destines of of both Luke AND EZRA would still be in flux. What Ezra had help Kenobi and in the fight Maul ended up killing Ezra. Kenobi all but say, Ezra has a destiny. Not one facing the Sith, but united with his friends facing the Empire. If Kenobi died in the fight, then Luke would still be incredibly hard to find in a desert world, and Ezra would have given up his search, and Maul would have gained his revenge and in that scenario, perhaps would finally move on. Of course that didn't turn out that way, but that because we know how the OT goes. That's why this episode is actually really good in my opinion. It makes you think it's about Luls and the OT and all that, but no. Kenobi wasn't just protecting Luke's future, he was ensuring that even if he died in the fight with Maul, Ezra's own destiny would not be altered by Maul's madness.

Which honestly makes Kenobi even more heroic if you think about it. In that moment, he can't be assured of victory. The Force can't stop Maul's choices. One wrong move, and Luke fate could be altered forever. Asking Ezra for help would been a practical choice...if you only saw the life and destiny of Luke as important. Luke is important in terms of beating the Sith. Ezra destiny is tied to beating the Empire, at this point that much is clear with the Empire Day foreshadowing. Kenboi told Ezra to leave because if Kenboi died, but Ezra and Luke were safe and back on their respective destinies, then his sacrifce will have ensured the two people who play a part in tearing down the Empire, Luke will defeat the Sith Leading it, and Ezra will unite the people that will defeat the crumbling Empire that remains.

Now that is a way to make Kenobi not only far more noble, but also makes Ezra future that much more interesting. Now I do agree that Kanan has to die, he literally is a Jedi Knight. But Ezra? I know you like the idea of a true dark times. (I've reD your posts. Well thought out and articulated I would say.) without Jedi. But I'm starting think that the whole idea of Ezra Bridger is that it isn't being a JEDI that makes him a pivotal force in the galaxy, it's that he was, and continues to be, a catalyst for uniting people together. He builds attachments. I think the only reason he was born with the Force was because it would allow him to understand others better and help unite people. You see where I'm going with this?

Jedi Princess likes this.
  25. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    You missed out the bit where they force pushed and dropped a Walker on him

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.