main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How about a canon Republic Commando book?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by zchmrkenhoff, Mar 19, 2017.

1. zchmrkenhoff

zchmrkenhoff Jedi Knight

Jun 17, 2015
    I loved the game Republic Commando when it came out (I was more interested to play that than World of Warcraft, which I'd gotten at the same time!). I also loved Hard Contact by Karen Traviss--but after that book, the series went drastically downhill for me. I do not feel the Commandos have been done justice enough, and I'd like to see them return.

Now that we know the Commandos are canon thanks to TCW, they could use a canon story. Similar to how Zahn is giving Thrawn a canon book treatment.

I don't know about you, but rather than having all that Papa Kal nonsense, I'd like more RC material like the game and Hard Contact, actual gritty, realistic, Rogue One like stuff. That'd be a dream book or books for me.

2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Read Battlefront. Not about Republic Commandos but it has the gritty, realistic, Rogue One type of stuff in it.

3. zchmrkenhoff

zchmrkenhoff Jedi Knight

Jun 17, 2015
    I didn't like that one as much.

4. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Yes, I'd like a RC novel. But, what I'd like even better is a remastered version of the 2005 original video game re-canonized. Because there's no reason why it shouldn't or couldn't be canon.

5. zchmrkenhoff

zchmrkenhoff Jedi Knight

Jun 17, 2015
    Yeah, there's literally nothing about it that's contradictory or anything.

spicer likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the newcanon, ARCs tended to be portrayed as being promoted from the ranks of the ordinary clone troopers - those who did exceptionally well in battle got promoted to the ARCs.

In the Legendsverse, ARCs tended to be portrayed as engineered differently from the other clones - much more of Jango's "independence" was present in them, and they were possibly somewhat stronger and tougher than "normal" clones.

I'm not sure if the game makes reference to the Legends backstory of the "Alphas".

7. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Yes. YES! But...Ain't happening. Inferno may be the closest we get. I wasn't a big factor of TC either.

sent from my Moto X-Wing

8. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    IIRC there are no references to ARC troopers in the RC game.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Can't say I'd be that interested save as an opportunity to consign the Mando garbage to the lowest depths of limbo hell.

10. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    We are now enemies...

sent from my Moto X-Wing

Daneira likes this.
  11. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    I remember reading an interview mentioning that one of the stories for Republic Commando 2 would've centered around Sev training soldiers for the Rebel Alliance. That could be good material for a book or have it adapted into Rebels, we already had clones like Rex, Wolffe, and Gregor show up so it be nice to see what became of Delta Squad.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So be it.... Stymi. [face_devil]

vncredleader and Stymi like this.
  13. DarthKuriboh

DarthKuriboh Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2007
    I think they should just make Traviss's Republic/Imperial Commando books cannon... those books are great

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Even if they did, you're still not getting Imperial Commando II: Every Jedi ****ing Dies.

Daneira and vncredleader like this.
  15. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I like how this usurped quote now makes Stymi synonymous with Jedi.

sent from my Moto X-Wing

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    After the book series (And playing the game a dozen times!) I feel I've had enough of the old Are Cees. Don't get me wrong, I do love em', but I feel they've been fully explored. The other Republic/Imperial special forces have gotten a criminally small amount of screen/page-time. All I want is stories featuring SHADOW TROOPERS!!!! Come on! Black Stormtroopers that turn invisible; Awesome! Probably the only good thing EA added to the BF series. I'm very glad they're canon, and I really want to see them used to their full potential. Also, I would hate to see them as "bad guys"; Make them fun and human, like Delta Squad.

17. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    OMG...I think Darmin is a Shadow Trooper!

sent from my Moto X-Wing

18. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Not sure if your joking, but if not: The book explicitly states that he is a Republic Commando, never a Shadow Trooper; Besides, Commandos are a part of the SO BDE, Shadow Troopers are part of Military Intillegence. Being a Shadow Trooper has a lot more to do than just color scheme.

19. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I instead would prefer a mini comic series about them.

20. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I was joking. He's a Death Trooper. Lol.

It's all about the cool costumes! Duh.

Again, joke...But didn't he stay on to be one of the Imperial Commandos. My memory of the details are fading.

In any case, I'm always much more invested in a story than in military rate and rank details, ship specs, etc.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  21. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more about the Death Troopers, what with them being actually (GASP!) competent and all, a smaller, more elite corps instead of the faceless mass of Stormtroopers. You could definitely tell RC style stories with these guys I think, especially given the original Commandos belong to an era that's out of focus EU wise and is probably going to remain so at the very least until the conclusion of the Sequel Trilogy.

22. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    We've still got Imperial Commandos, their successors.
    I would sure like to know which branch of the Empire Death Troopers belong to, or if they're even Special Forces. The Empire's SpecForce portfolio is quite crowded already. What I got from Rogue One was they were really just decked-out bodyguards, and nothing more. Honestly they behaved no better than white jobs. I would expect far more from real commandos.

23. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I agree, that's my point. So far all we've got is that they wear black, and do seem to perform better in battle than run of the mill white armour Stormies. But that is literally it. Are they special forces? Bodyguards? Work for the Intelligence/Black Ops divisions? There's so much more could be done with these guys.

24. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016

You can say that about so much Legend's material but they'll never make it canon because reasons

25. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I still refuse to give up hoping that some Legends will be canon again.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.