main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    I'm happy to see them in Rebels, but they've always been canon. One of the Y-wings in ANH was "Red Jammer", at least until the Special Editions replaced the unique X's and Y's with copy/paste ones.

2. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    I don't remember there ever being a red y-wing on my original VHSes, but there were red ones in TCW, though those were different (clone wars y wings are less attractive in my opinion). These are the first Rebellion models I've seen that aren't toys.

Darth Basin and vncredleader like this.
  3. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh nice to see that look back.

Same. I quite like the red. Honestly kinda like seeing something other than X-Wings getting the Red squadron name.

4. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Whoops, looks like I made a mistake. The model may or may not have been filmed. It was used for promotional stuff. Here's someone's recreation of the studio model though. http://www.makmodeler.com/?p=2909

5. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    It was not filmed. Remember when ANH was in early production the Y-wings where Red Squadron and the X-Wings where Blue Squadron. Changes in how they where going to do the effects made them have to remove the Blue cause it would not show up therefore they made the Xs Red and the Ys Gold. They had made models though with the original colors much like how the original Falcon model was already done but kept being changed to the point that they liked the general look enough to make the new Blockade Runner based on that look when the Falcon changed. SF Debris's retrospective goes into this. https://www.sfdebris.com/videos/special/herosjourney.php

6. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
  7. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
  8. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Really? I kinda liked the sleeker look. I always thought the Y-wing redesign was one of the series' better reinterpretations.

Pfluegermeister and vncredleader like this.
  9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I've noticed for YEARS that the "bomber shuttle" looked wrong, but I always assumed it was just a crudely made miniature. Very cool find! :)

--Adm. Nick

10. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Yeah, when I first noticed the shuttle, the solar panels kinda looked "boxy" and not bent inward like the panels on the bomber. Now I know why, because the panels bend outwards, they kinda look boxy from the angle when it dips down at the beginning of the shot. They were rolling with these TIE shuttles in the early concept art for Vader's castle, too. But that one actually looks more like Vader's TIE. http://i.imgur.com/FSYrDoj.jpg

11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    RE: Red markings on Y-wings, in this coming weekends season finale of Rebels, we see Y-wings with red (not gold) markings launching from the carrier to engage the Imperial fleet. Not Phoenix Squadron colored either, so presumably a unit detached from another Rebel cell now that the Alliance is starting to be formed.

--Adm. Nick

12. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    I'd love to see Y-wings in Phoenix Squadron (Green/White/Yellow and Red/White/Blue) livery.

13. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    The Plasma Devil's cell had red Y-wings in the Vader comic. I wonder if we will reveal it to be them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MercenaryAce and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  14. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I seem to recall Pablo saying that the Dornean Gunships are going to be in Rebels. We haven't seen them yet, have we? Does that mean they will show up in the finale?

vncredleader likes this.
  15. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Maybe with actual CGI Dorneans piloting them? :)

16. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    They appear in the mid season trailer and a bit in the zero hour preview.
    Here's a pic from the FFG forums.
    [​IMG]

17. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    In Legends I believe it was stated that the Victory-class star destroyers (at 900 meters in length) were among the largest ships that were capable of entering into a planetary atmosphere. Was it ever explained why this was? I'm assuming it had nothing to do with the actual size of the vessel and more to do with the power/equipment requirements to have repulsorlift engines capable of supporting such an enormous mass against a significant force of gravity. As in, Imperial-class star destroyers were so massive that the power/equipment required to have repulsorlift engines that would allow them to operate in a planetary atmosphere would be too large/expensive to be of practice use.

I see in canon it's no big deal.

18. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    just silly headcanons that most writers in the EU never paid attention to anyway

besides the appearances of Star Destroyers in atmospheres lately, we had a Venator physically landed on Kashyyyk in ROTS in 2005

[​IMG]

also it's a real pain having to upload my pics to imgur or whatever to insert into the threads instead of just uploading straight from my folders

vncredleader and JediBatman like this.
  19. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    To each his own, but I don't find it silly, I like my sci-fi to at least give lip service to the laws of physics.

Good pull. Despite the difference in length, I don't think the mass of the Venator-class and Victory-class would be all that different, so they may have even used the same repulsorlift engines.

Yes it is.

vncredleader likes this.
  20. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    The ones who wrote that apparently forgot Cloud City.

JediBatman likes this.
  21. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    I disagree. Cloud city would have had to devote a large portion of it's space to repulsorlift engines. The EGV&V states: "Levels 371–392: Contained the 36,000 repulsorlift engines and tractor beam generators that kept the city afloat and in position." - apparently some of that information has been re-canonized.

So while you can make ANY mass able to operate in a planetary atmosphere, the power/equipment requirements for the repulsorlift engines on a warship that is more than 1,000 meters in length may make it unpractical/uneconomical to do so.

22. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Not when you realize that that station is the product of a small independent company far from the central systems. One outpost so small, it escaped Imperial jurisdiction until discovered.

JediBatman likes this.
  23. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    Non-issue for me. It comes down to physics. How much repulsorlift power do you need for a given mass in a given gravity field.

24. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Seeing as how repulsorlifts, tractor beams, and anti gravity are fictional technology anyways, they can be as energy efficient or inefficient as the authors want. Add to that the fact that lightsabers and Death Stars show this civilization is capable of producing massive amounts of power, and I have no problem with the idea that Star Destroyers can float above cities.

Although part of me likes the idea that while it takes additional power to keep that heavy chunk of metal in the air, the Empire does it anyways because people who build moon size battle stations are not above wasting resources on extravagant shows of force.

Star_Desperado Don't forget the Venator that takes off from that landing zone on Corsucant to take Obi-wan to Utapau.

25. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Ok, then it's a non-issue for me that all kinds of ships can dive into atmospheres. We've had this since 1980 and they went with it for the new canon. Even the Executor went into an atmosphere in the old Marvel series.

vncredleader, JediBatman and JABoomer like this.