main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Same here

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    ...so who do you hear as the "narrator"?

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's narrator voice. He reads every book.

Also FYI when I read your posts, they're in "Coop voice." And that's not your actual voice.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Naw don't feel bad. I think I might be slower too -- it takes me forever to read anything. I don't know how people can speed read and still remember everything, but it seems there are people on this board who can do that.

I'll admit there are some stories where the dialogue is so out of line with a character I can't imagine them saying it in their own voice -- most of GODV with the zoochberries and Skyhouse for instance. Also some aliens. I dunno why but I can't imagine Ortalans speaking English.

Grey1, cwustudent, Kylun and 3 others like this.
  5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Probably for the best.

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Same, unless I'm picturing the character as a specific actor/actress, in which case I hear that actor/actress' voice.

Kylun likes this.
  7. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    At which point you know Star Wars really just needs more black women.

Same. I definitely hear people, but I'm almost never able to put my finger on *who* I'm hearing unless it's an already established character.

8. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Most aliens sound like a deep baritone with gravel to me. Even female aliens. It's just a generic alien voice my brain assigned sometime in my life.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

9. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    There are a lot of articles out today trumpeting that the Power Ranger movie made Trini "gay", or at least (from the context I've seen) somewhere on the LGBT spectrum. A lot of them are saying that it's a huge thing, the first ever film superhero who isn't straight.

To which, the snarky part of my brain is responding that there is no way that George Clooney's Batman is straight. Not a chance.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Forget that Batman, how bout Adam West's Batman?

[​IMG]

"Robin, do you like movies about gladiators?"

11. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Clearly someone has not seen the episode when Lee Meriwether came back as another character.

12. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    You know, I never really thought of Power Rangers as superheroes. But good. Now hopefully Marvel/DC/everybody else can follow suit.

CooperTFN and Mia Mesharad like this.
  13. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I didn't think of them that way either, I think I first heard Linkara call them superheroes, and it was one of those moments. "Huh. I guess, technically speaking, they kinda are. Very Silver-age superheroes, sure, but still superheroes."

14. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Awesome segment on dubbing Rogue One!

Barriss_Coffee, Gamiel and CooperTFN like this.
  15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah. I feel like in another decade or so that scene might be dated too -- the fact that she's so secretive about it, like she's done something wrong. And that they don't say anything more about it throughout the rest of the movie is sort of meh.

Still. Like they say. It's better than nothing, and infinitely better than what was going on for years in Hollywood.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    FACPOV I kind of feel like making Billy the black one was a bigger deal.

18. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    So that's why they resisted Posion Ivy's charms so well.

19. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Met EK Johnston at Wondercon and gushed for half an hour about Ahsoka. She confirmed again that Kaeden was intended to be queer and romantically attracted to Ahsoka. Disney apparently asked for the subtext to be made more obvious. She also noticed that a lot of reviews barely mention or don't mention Kaeden even though she is the second most prominent character in the story.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That's good to hear, about Disney wanting authors to be more clear about LGBT characters, not less!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That's pleasantly surprising.

Mia Mesharad and Ghost like this.
  22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The continuing adventures of "when something about a white guy sells poorly it's just a bad market but when something about a woman or a POC sells poorly it's because diversity isn't popular".

http://io9.gizmodo.com/marvel-vp-bl...&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

It's tempting to think "at least Star Wars doesn't have this problem", but when Servants of the Empire was going on I remember it being suggested by Jen Heddle that if it didn't do well the brass would be less inclined to make a black kid the star of a story again.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, we don't look to executives for enlightenment.

24. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Methinks the problem is being misdiagnosed...
    It so happens that the core, Golden Age characters were mostly white men.

Ghost, Grey1, starfish and 2 others like this.
  25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    And speaking as a big Marvel reader, Event Fatigue is a very real thing. My favorite series, the ones I'm most loyal to, are the ones where one creator/team has been able to tell an ongoing story for at least a couple years with minimal status quo upheavals--but that's getting harder and harder to pull off.

ETA: anyway, now that RO is out I've been able to officially score it--on Parity it gets an 11, or as I prefer to think of it, "almost three times better than ESB's 4", and on Diversity it gets a 49, mostly due to all the stupid Death Star Bros being named characters while a few female rebel characters were just "Blue Three", etc. Even if you went out of your way to give them credit for every single woman it doesn't look like it'd help tremendously.

What's interesting about the Diversity Score, though, is that ANH had a 51--so whatever you think of the "they wanted to emulate the demographics of ANH" argument, they did sort of do it. Even ANH had a better rate of female characters though. [face_whistling]

starfish and BobaMatt like this.