main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Because it is a great vacation spot this time of year. Obviously!!!

2. TheNerdyOne_

TheNerdyOne_ Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2015
    I think the idea stems from season 2, with Kanan saying that him and Ezra were a threat to the Rebellion due to the Inquisitors tracking them. Since it's been confirmed Inquisitors return in season 4, some have speculated that Kanan and Ezra will choose to leave for the sake of everyone. The Unknown Regions part probably comes from how much attention that area has been getting in canon lately, especially in regards to its relation to the Force.

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Filoni said Maul was too important of a character to be left unknown during the OT. A character like that should have had effects on the larger galaxy.

That is exactly how I feel about Kanan and Ezra.

4. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    I'm sure it's been said, but I am a SUPER big fan of how they ended the Obi Maul vendetta. Both from a fight choreography stand point, the meaning of each stance, and the last bit of characterization between the two. Really, it was perfect.

Slater, Revanfan1, Old Rex and 5 others like this.
  5. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    This is going to dip into "power level" discussion when dealing with fictional characters, so you may not agree. But while Vader can be surprised, wounded, and even temporarily driven back, he has yet to lose a single fight he's been involved in, playing one angle or another. Dropping a walker on him didn't even seem to scuff his armor, as I believed they implied he'd actually arrested the walker's fall a few inches from crushing him. It's just not in the cards for them to win against the Dark Lord, he's too powerful.

So no, the crew of the Ghost did not come close to "beating" Vader, especially since his goal was to allow them to escape. Meaning he couldn't kill them. This happens a lot in fighting games. Gameplay wise, any character can defeat any character. But storywise? Ha ha, no, only a chosen few have a chance of winning. A bit like Slayer from Guilty Gear who's an immortal Vampire and a dashing rogue. He basically fights for fun, and his "defeat" animation is just him chilling on the ground with a, "Aha, you got me you whippersnapper" expression. Is it "realistic?" No, but it depends on the kind of story you're telling.

Charlemagne19 and vncredleader like this.
  6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    On my end, I think of them as fairly central but not GALAXY CHANGING characters in the Star Wars universe. My view is there's probably tens of thousands of people like them with their own heroic narratives.

It's not just Luke, Han, and Leia beating the Empire.

But maybe that's my West End Games attitude.

7. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    There's an outsize, unfair emphasis placed on Ezra and Kanan's fates, here, when it comes to the role they "should have had" in the OT. Hera, who serves alongside Kanan and Ezra - who is in fact their ranking officer - was still alive at Scarif, and then not mentioned the OT. The galaxy is a big place.

Slater, CooperTFN, Revanfan1 and 4 others like this.
  8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I guess I imagine the Star Wars Galaxy is full of millions of people like Vidian, Trachta, Tremayne, Hethrir, and so on.

I see a world more like DC comics with Pulpy Fantasy Space Heroes fighting endless colorful bad guys.

Luke, Leia, and Han are just some of the more successful ones.

It's why I don't mind folks like Norra.

9. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    They are quite accurately the Trinity.
    [​IMG]
    And YES this was an excuse to post a Matt Wagner image. deal with it!!

Also Jid123Sheeve #notmytrinity

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  10. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    So. I finally sat down and watched Twin Suns.

Could have used about 15 more minutes of Maul and Kenobi and about 15 less minutes of Ezra and Chopper. But I still really liked it. Part of me wishes that Maul could have went out spitting in the emperors eye, but I have to confess this was way more fitting.

Daneira and vncredleader like this.
  11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think Ezra actually added to the story.

There's only one bait which would lure out Obi-Wan Kenobi and that's a boy who reminded him of Luke/Anakin.

Well, that or massacring innocents by the truckload.

But Maul is getting on in his years and that's just so tiresome...senseless massacre is a young Sith's game.

12. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, I thought how Maul used Ezra for bait was really clever. But at the same time, this was the Maul and Obi-wan send off episode, I think they could have cut quite a bit out of the Ezra gets lost in the desert bit, to give the two old rivals a little more screen time in their finale.

Actually they could have just cut Iron Squadron from the season all together and made Twin suns a two parter.

13. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Spoiler

Below

You

Are

Warned.

Was it just me or did Maul's eyes look a little green whilst dieing? Production error or was DF trying to tell us the Dark was leaving him?

14. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Why not use a

15. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I

Don't

Know

How

To.... well you get the idea.

16. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    You do this with no spaces: [ spoiler ] here is the thing you want hidden then [ / spoiler ]

Ghost likes this.
  17. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013

Not because of Kanan and Ezra's powers or their leadership abilities, but because of what they represent ; is Hope. Tarkin didn't afraid of their power, he said he afraid of what they represent as Jedi Knights. So, they need to die because Tarkin says there are no Jedi in the ANH.

Daneira likes this.
  18. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I think their power level connected to the rebellion does play a part in why they should be killed. What I like seeing in marvel comics is Luke not being super powerful. Merely a Jedi in training who should be at this time, the best the rebels have for force users. Removing Kanan and Ezra from the rebellion also gives more spotlight to the common man and his fight against the empire. Such as seeing various rebels, including Hera and other familiar faces planning out attacks against the empire while never again getting aid from her old friends again. With these 2 gone, it also makes the imperial forces more threatening. For example that special forces storm trooper squad in the comics. Our heroes won"t be able to call in the duo to take out those troopers. So a storm trooper who wields a lightsaber can be seen as a worthy threat to Rebels in a world where Kanan and Ezra have left the Galaxy.

19. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    The difference, of course, is that Hera is not a Jedi.

I know it's frowned upon to say Jedi/Force using characters need to die, but if the dark side characters like Maul need to go, how much sense does it make for Kanan and Ezra to still be in the Rebellion?

I'm just never going to like the idea. *shrug*

Darkslayer, Ghost, DelRiego and 6 others like this.
  20. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Gr, double post

21. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I feel, in the black and withered little thing that is one of my three hearts, that at the very least Kanan needs to die before this is all said and done. Ezra's probably got room within the narrative to survive in some shape or form, but Kanan's got the problem of being a Jedi AND being a mentor...that's not a healthy combination in this franchise.

22. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Ok I'll try

[ / this is my attempt ]

Im so bad at computing :(

23. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015
    Kanan and Ezra can live; in fact, I'd say it's a foregone conclusion that Ezra will live as I seriously doubt that the Rebels team are going to kill off their teenaged protagonist. However, for narrative purposes, they need to be removed from the Rebellion and either abandon the Jedi path or be so far removed from the conflict that their status as Jedi is irrelevant.

If they were both to leave the Rebellion to train under the Bendu, or if they chase after Thrawn to the Unknown Regions, those would work just as well as Ahsoka's surprise exit from The Clone Wars. Everyone thought she had to die, after all, and they found a creative way to keep her alive while also dealing with her complete absence from Revenge of the Sith.

Daneira likes this.
  24. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Oh my, I never thought of it that way. Han is Superman? Yup, I can get behind that. Luke even had his Batman phase in Dark Empire...

draw73 and vncredleader like this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    BobaMatt the whole "how are Kanan and Ezra any different from Hera" doesn't really work when Leia knows they're Jedi.

You'd think she'd tell Luke. It was kind of a big deal.

It's more than a little disingenuous to act as if being a Jedi is some small thing.

And yes, they can quit or whatever like Ahsoka did. Except it starts to look like bending over backwards to save pet characters.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.