main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC March For Science!! Earth Day April 22nd Washington D.C.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mortimer Snerd, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    https://www.marchforscience.com/

"The March for Science demonstrates our passion for science and sounds a call to support and safeguard the scientific community. Recent policy changes have caused heightened worry among scientists. The incredible and immediate outpouring of support has made clear that these concerns are also shared by the support of hundreds of thousands of people around the world.
    The mischaracterization of science as a partisan issue, which has given policymakers permission to reject overwhelming evidence, is a critical and urgent matter. It is time for people who support scientific research and evidence-based policies to take a public stand and be counted.
    ON APRIL 22, 2017, WE WALK OUT OF THE LAB AND INTO THE STREETS.

We are people who value science and recognize how science serves. We come from all races, all religions, all gender identities, all sexual orientations, all abilities, all socioeconomic backgrounds, all political perspectives, and all nationalities. Our diversity is our greatest strength: a wealth of opinions, perspectives, and ideas is critical for the scientific process. What unites us is a love of science, and an insatiable curiosity. We all recognize that science is everywhere and affects everyone.
    Science is often an arduous process, but it is also thrilling. A universal human curiosity and dogged persistence is the greatest hope for the future. This movement cannot and will not end with a march. The relationship between science and democracy must not continue to erode. The application of science to society is not divorced from politics. Our plans for policy change and community outreach will start with Marches for Science world-wide and a teach-in at the National Mall, but it is imperative that we continue to celebrate and defend science at all levels - from local schools to federal agencies - throughout the world."

yeurgh and Darth_Voider like this.
  2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Snerd in da house

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  3. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Anybody besides me gonna be there?

4. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I'll pass.. :cool:

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I was really hopeful for this March of Science but then a month ago the organizers started releasing official statements of general progressive ideas under the March for Science name. It was a bad idea because

1) The focus should be on the science. We've had a bunch of general progressivism marches already. Taking away what makes this march unique does this march a disservice,

2) It undermines the idea that science is something everyone should be agreeing on regardless of ideology when you start putting in non-science progressivism.

3) The left has their own issues with putting ideology in front of science that conflicts with them, so making this a leftist march is a bit hypocritical.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  6. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016

Not sure yet, mate. Need to get my priest to cut open a sheep and investigate its entrails to see if the omens are good.

Sarge and heels1785 like this.
  7. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012

I'd be inclined to agree with you (and I do in principle, especially your second point) but the advancement and ***ing acceptance of willful ignorance as a positive political principle is something that needs to be fought.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [​IMG]

QUIGONMIKE likes this.