main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Knight Errant

Which comes first? The comics or the novel?

2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    The first arc (or first five issues), then the novel and then the remaining two arcs (i.e. all remaining issues) of the comic.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It's amazing. You'll love it.

Well, if you like zany characters that is. But isn't that why we're all here anyway?

Jedi Ben, Kylun and spicer like this.
  4. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Thanks, I couldn't find a timeline order anywhere.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Here ya go. Tells you where the short story Knight Errant: Influx goes as well.

6. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    How many High Inquisitors does Inquisitorius contain at any given time? Tremayne possesses the rank, but is it particularly special, or is there many High Inquisitors. I'm sure someone with the Imperial Sourcebook could answer this.
    On a related note, were the Inquisitors functioning in the Imperial Remnant? Many Inquisitors survived the heated years of the Civil War. What happened to them by Legacy? Antares Draco, an Imperial Knight, was the descendant of an Inquisitor. This would lead me to believe the Inquisitor's became the Imperial Knights. What about the other Imperial force users. Carnor Jax probably had his fellow Sovereign Protectors killed when he took the throne. I heard Marek Steele served Pellaeon as a Hand. Can someone confirm this?

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Watching TFA again the other night, I noticed that Han appears to be wearing pens code cylinders on his jacket. Is there any explanation for this in the Visual Guide or elsewhere? Because it seems a bit odd.

8. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013

Big fan of this series. Certainly pushed the boundaries as far as YA Star Wars could go. For best experience though it's worth it to read at least a little bit of Jedi Apprentice and Jedi Quest (which focus on Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan/Anakin respectively) as many characters reappear and are given final conclusions here.

vncredleader and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I think it's great that they let Jude Watson write over 40 books (not including the journals or science adventure books she also wrote). Makes for some really consistent storytelling and characterization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Are we going with "Alex Wheeler (Rebel Force) is another Jude Watson pseudonym" hypothesis here? It did like they were designed to carry on where Jude Watson left off - as "the final adventure of Ferus Olin".

11. Darth Droid

Jul 4, 2013
    Didn't like Rebel Force all that much. I thought the way Ferus story concluded in Last of the Jedi was very satisfactory. Rebel Force seemed tacked on. If it was written by the artist formerly known as Jude Watson, it was definitely not of the same quality as her earlier work.

Just realized this but has anyone else ever noticed this: Jude Law = Watson, Jude Watson. Coincidence?

vncredleader likes this.
  12. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Nice to see some fellow "Last of the Jedi" fans here.

Darth Droid likes this.
  13. Darth Droid

Jul 4, 2013

Really such an underrated series. Yes those books are for kids but Watson's Jedi Apprentice/Jedi Quest is still the closest we have EVER gotten in Star Wars to what the average day in the life of a Jedi was like. It was just Jedi going on missions and helping people out. Was it hokey? Sure. Was it awesome? Yes it was. And then Last of the Jedi came about and had an absolutely brutal ending. Props to that. I consider the whole saga one of the hidden gems of the old EU.

vncredleader likes this.
  14. Darth Droid

Jul 4, 2013

Really such an underrated series. Yes those books are for kids but Watson's Jedi Apprentice/Jedi Quest is still the closest we have EVER gotten in Star Wars to what the average day in the life of a Jedi was like. It was just Jedi going on missions and helping people out. Was it hokey? Sure. Was it awesome? Yes it was. And then Last of the Jedi came about and had an absolutely brutal ending. Props to that. I consider the whole saga one of the hidden gems of the old EU.

vncredleader likes this.
  15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I liked Jedi Apprentice, but I was not a fan of Jedi Quest. It was a good example of the tendency to focus so heavily on foreshadowing that Anakin will eventually turn evil that it forgets that he actually, you know, turned evil.

16. Darth Droid

Jul 4, 2013
    Anaking was really really annoying in that series, but there were some good crossovers with Jedi Apprentice that spanned both eras. I would agree it's clearly the weakest of the three series though. I did like Secrets of the Jedi and Legacy of the Jedi however.

17. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I was reading through the old Essential Guide to Characters book and on the entry for Tarkin it mentions a weapon named after him. What did this appear in? I'm going to guess it's one of the original Marvel comics because I've never heard of it before.

18. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016

The Tarkin was indeed in the Marvel comics, a few years before RotJ. They wanted to include a second Death Star, but Lucasfilm told them not to (because of the upcoming second Death Star in RotJ), so they kept the story the same but made the Tarkin just the superlaser part of the Death Star without the whole moon-sized battle station surrounding it.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Essential Guide To Warfare touched on it later - providing some background on it as a superlaser testbed for the Eclipse-class vessels - as well as a nice illustration of it:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tarkin_(superweapon)

Daneira and Grievousdude like this.
  20. Clone Commander Cassius

Clone Commander Cassius Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2016
    hello there. new to eu only seen the films and the clone wars animated series. Im really interested in the era from the end of the clone wars to the beginning of the galactic civil war. according to Wookiepedia articles, there's supposed to be nearly two decades so that's a fairly huge gap in which ALOT of stuff happens.

Im interested in what happens once the CIS was defeated and the Empire was established. like Palpatine was thinking "okay Ive succeeded in my Grand Plan. Ive brought order to the galaxy, now I have to maintain it."
    ^
    and yes I know Palpatine was just after power. he coulda cared less if the galaxy burned. in fact that would have been his preference so that he could appear as the 'savior of the galaxy' and thus gain power that way. but I digress

like, what did that look like? what were the early campaigns against the sep holdouts, the wack-a-mole of putting down local revolts (which eventually became the Rebel Alliance). what did the early years look like for the empire? what were the empire's glory days?

so what books or novels would be a good starting place? and preferably something readily available, not something Im gonna have to track down and hunt for...

21. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    check out the essential guide to warfare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Darth Droid

Jul 4, 2013
    Why does the old EU count TCW as part of it's continuity? Surely it would be easier to just keep TCW to the "canon" timeline and leave intact all the old repulic comics and microseries and books and things. I've always wondered this actually, why once they split the timelines this wasn't done.

23. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    They didn't split the timeline, they just declared all of the EU aside from TCW to be non-canon. TCW happened in both continuities the same way the 6 films did. The EU was already retconning things from older works to fit with TCW, things like Luceno's "Restraint", which was written to explain Maul and Ventress's new backstories re: Talzin's clan. There are many TCW comics and tie-in books, none of these are part of the new canon. It doesn't make much sense to remove TCW from Legends unless you also remove all the TCW EU stuff, which results in a lot of things existing in neither continuity.

Basically the only reason why people want TCW out of Legends is that it makes continuity easier. But that's exactly why Lucasfilm made everything else non-canon. And it's all fictional - you want to pretend it didn't happen in Legends, go for it.

vncredleader likes this.
  24. Anakin 99

Anakin 99 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2016
    Just finished Children Of The Jedi and for the first time it felt like a fanfiction Especially every time Jedi Children wifes and husbands mentions A voice in the back of my head screams no no that not true that impossible :eek: No attachment rule

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    No Prisoners, a TCW tie-in novel - resolves that - those were a "heretical" splinter faction of Jedi rather than Yoda's.