main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Poe Dameron #7-13: The Gathering Storm (7/7 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 20, 2016.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Fair enough, but given that Rey is a primary POV character, I think it's fair to say that it is a perspective TFA treats with significance- especially when factoring in Finn's reaction to the mention of Luke Skywalker, Han's "it's true, all of it" and the general nostalgia factor TFA leveraged in general.

Poe was offscreen dead-not-dead for most of the movie so we didn't really get a chance for him to lend his perspective (but then he was already deep into he search for Luke and Lor-San Tekka under direction of Leia Organa, so he doesn't exactly have an everyday man's perspective of those figures/events at this point in time ether).

The Threepio stuff here just seems to connect to that thematic material well.

Binging through this arc and the last half year of SW issues, Marvel has been pretty good to Threepio lately, it seems. Not only is he amusing and gets a small-but-neat Vader connection moment but he gets this awesome droid spymaster plotline for a whole arc.

revan772 likes this.
  2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Poe's family is connected to Luke . And that whole Force-sensitive tree stuff. So I would say it was more than a mission from Leia for him. Both Finn & Rey had some general awareness, but Rey was on some backwater world thats not really a backwater world, and she knew about Han Solo and the Kessel run that seems more popular somehow , presumbly cause its like a pirate/smuggler world like Tatooine all over again. Her scenes mimicked Luke's from ANH(and some from Anakin in TPM) about the Clone Wars, Jedi Knights and wanting off the planet to go fight for the Rebellion, being already a hotshot ace pilot and all of that kinda thing. TFA was a strange movie, cause it was largely a loose reboot/remake as much as it was a sequel.

3. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    Yes I agree. Poe as a character is all over the place in this series but Terex (battle of Jakku perfectly ties with Aftermatch Empire's End) and lately Threepio are much better. I also admire how well BB-8 is portrayed - he's not only cute but also really smart.

But I still don't like this series that much, mostly because what it did to Poe's character. He's never been so... stupid in other sources.

La Calavera likes this.
  4. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    To be fair, it’s not like “smart” was a specific character trait of Poe in the movie.
    But I think the main appeal of Poe Dameron is the actor, not the (rather bland) way the character was written. So I think Soule is doing a decent job with the material he has.

Still, it’s an undeniable fact that the true star in these comics is Terex. :cool:

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The storm has gathered. BB8 and C3P0 are presumed dead. It's only Poe and Nunzix. Poe removes Nunzix ROM unit and reprograms his CPU. Poe uses the metal from his broken arm to fashion three metal claws on Nunzix's good arm. Nunzix goes into berserker mode, killing Terex and all his men very graphically. Not knowing friend from foe, he turns on Poe - "DIE, MEAT!"

This is all inter cut with space battle shots where Black Squadron looks to be in trouble, but then Oddy helps even the odds on the Carrion Spike.

Suddenly, Snap shows up in a snap on the planet, blasting Nunzix in the chest. As Nunzix lays dying, losing power, he begins to tell Poe, "Snoke's identity is not on stored on my ROM, but in my RAM. His real identity is..." and powers down.

THE END.

revan772 likes this.
  6. Dimitar

Dimitar Jedi Padawan

Jan 22, 2017
    I am a little disappointed with the latest issue of Poe Dameron. I hope the final issue of this arc will more than make up.

7. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Do we see a female Tiranii in this issue? If not, does anyone know what species the feline looking female is?

8. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Or a Farghul, perhaps?

9. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    That's possible too. It would be nice if someone from Marvel or the story group could give a list of background alien species in each issue. Not talking about obvious species like rodians, twileks etc.

10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Well, I remind you that Rey is literally next to a guy who collected the Millennium Falcon. The irony she didn't realize it was part of his collection makes sense since if anyone knew, they'd steal it.

11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    These were the weakest parts of the issue for me by far. I really have no tolerance for stories of any sort that try to build tension off characters "dying" when we already know they aren't dead.

12. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I haven't read the series yet. Disappointed to hear it's not very good.

That being said, I'm not sure why Marvel is so into Soule. I haven't been wowed by anything he's done. But he keeps getting pretty high profile gigs.

I would guess Marvel likes how prolific he is (he puts out quite a lot) and that he meets deadlines.

sent from my Moto X-Wing

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I wouldn't say it's bad. I just don't think it's living up to its full potential.

...Also, you weren't wowed by Lando?

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  14. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Haven't read Lando yet, either. But I've been seeing all the buzz. I'll move it up to read sooner!

sent from my Moto X-Wing

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I like the comic just fine but I have a problem with Terex the villain.

Basically, he comes off as a forum fanboy.

"I hate the First Order for not being NEARLY as cool as the Empire! You suck! Being all kids with your heavy metal and your shiny armor."

God, can't we get some actual First Order villains?

Voltron64 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This latest issue continues this arc's trend of making Threepio awesome. I may behind on NU novels but I can't think of many sources that have used Threepio as well as this arc has so far- as I mentioned earlier, it's a key reason why this arc is shaping up to be essential pre-TFA reading.

Am I correct in that it seems most people's issues surround how Poe is written? It hasn't really hit my radar in such a way- but, then, I haven't really read much content with Poe to have a really good baseline for the character (and he effectively had two and half character scenes in the movie that doesn't give you much to go on- other than Isaacs is awesome and perhaps his charisma doesn't translate to the page easily).

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ST-era Threepio is amazing. The only thing that I feel really ever compared to his droid spymaster role was his "memento mori" arc in the NJO, and that ultimately just kind of fizzled out. I really hope we see more of him in TLJ.

Speaking only for myself, partially it's the characterization of Poe - while he didn't have a ton of scenes in the movie, he did come across as having both charismatic swagger and a certain "Captain Resistance" sort of idealism. Greg Rucka captured that well in Before the Awakening, but I feel like Soule's Poe has the swagger but not quite as much of the idealism.

But the bigger issue is that, as I've said, I feel like the series just isn't doing as much as it could be. There's a lot of individual episodic plots that feel kind of padded out to fit the TPB format rather than a real continuing buildup to TFA, and it doesn't help that they keep doing fake-outs like Suralinda's story in the annual and what even Poe is suspicious of now with Nunzix.* And while the book was described as an ensemble series with Poe's name on the cover, and we've certainly had flashes of further characterization, I feel like the rest of Black Squadron isn't being as developed as much as they could be.

*(Actually, I think Nunzix really does have information on Snoke's whereabouts - but it's just that he has a mobile headquarters, as established previously, which is technically useful but doesn't actually accomplish anything).

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, you also have to consider that this is an ongoing series within a limited timeframe (a few months before TFA) so having occasional side stories only slightly servicing the larger arc (like the egg and prison break) are probably to be expected.

I'd also argue that the current nature of the traitor subplot necessitates is not getting too in-depth with the other pilots yet but one assumes that will stop being the case once that is resolved.

And, yeah, I hope TLJ goes into Threepio's role more. I'd really hate for all this spymaster stuff to be primarily offscreen information despite the amazing possibilities it presents for the character and his evolution.

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I wish it wasn't a build-up honestly. I'd rather read about the Resistance blowing up First Order factories and star destroyers than looking for Luke skywalker.

Voltron64 likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You'll probably get your wish in about a year- one can probably assume the series will eventually advance to a post-TFA setting once TLJ is out.

21. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    That's one of the things that bugs me a little about TLJ picking up right after TFA. Its release might not open up all that much storytelling space for releases between now and ep 9. There will probably be more freedom to tell post-RotJ stories, but unless TLJ takes place over a long period of time we probably won't have a lot of new Rey, Finn, and Poe adventures until the trilogy is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, that's actually a good point- I hadn't considered the impact of the anticipated abbreviated gap between films given what we've been used to over the years.

Then again, given that Episode IX will be more or less written and locked within a year (pending any final reshoots, etc), if there is a larger gap between 8 & 9 versus 7 & 8, the Story Group would be aware of any open pockets for stories set inbetween and still potentially allow for post-TLJ stories (albeit it probably near-TLJ stories).

(again, assuming there is a larger gap)

23. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I'm sure there will be plenty of revelations in TLJ that will then allow storytellers to go back in time and tell more of the story. Really, the big storytelling mystery period isn't the TFA/TLJ era. It's Battle of Jakku - TFA. The plan is clearly to fill in more of those gaps as the big revelations come in the films. Knowledge about Luke was absent in TFA. So, appropriately, knowledge about Luke isn't present in the ROTJ - TFA stories, save for material we basically learned in the film. TLJ will reveal more about what Luke was up to, and very likely, more about Ben's story (and possibly Rey). Then? We get more stories featuring them. I bet around the release of TLJ, we'll get stories showing what Luke was doing during and beyond Aftermath. We may even get the parallel to Bloodline. And perhaps more inbetween.

There's a lot of story and major character events left to tell in the 'past'

24. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Perhaps that is why they chose to do a Poe ongoing when they did because after Ep. VIII and IX are released the ongoings are probably going to be all over the backstories for Luke, Rey, and Ben.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    But, if I'm reading the pre-TFA era of the Resistance and First Order being at a sort of cease-fire balance, that further exploration won't give Chuck much opportunity for his Poe-blowing-up-Star Destroyer desires that I was responding to.

Beyond that, you're almost certainly on-point about what to expect after TLJ.