main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story... score now by Michael Giacchino

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo , Nov 2, 2015.

1. Green Arrow

Green Arrow Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2015
    I wasn't expecting the End Title in this movie, but I loved it. The absolute FERVOUR of it that was kind of missing in TFA is back, and the finale part at the end which was also missing from TFA was a welcome return.

Now I'd love a version of He's Here For Us that features the Main Title before going into Director Krennic's theme.

DBPirate likes this.
  2. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    Green Arrow (and everybody else), I found the End Credits! Uploaded just an hour ago.

3. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    I was totally unimpressed by the soundtrack when the movie was released in theater - I still bought it, but never cared for it. After watching the movie once at home, I have been hooked on this score since. It's now my 4th favorite Star Wars soundtrack, better than the prequels or TFA. Nice job Michael!

Sarge likes this.
  4. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Do you know if the end credits in this movie is a new recording or was it taken from one of the other films?

I agree, though Krennic's theme was already stuck in my head when I was leaving the theater. It's my fourth favorite SW soundtrack as well, but the only prequel it beats for me is AOTC.

5. Larsonator

Larsonator Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2016
    It's a new recording. The beginning especially seems a little faster and more intense.

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT WAS THE ONE I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!!!!!!!!

OMG I loved that intro so much watching the film. So weirdly alien-planet sci-fi. It reminded me a lot of Dune.

8. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Now we just need the Yavin music :D

9. Takes One to Rogue One

Takes One to Rogue One Jedi Padawan

Jan 4, 2017
    Has no one ripped it from the Blu-ray yet?

10. coervus

coervus Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2017
    This one was just uploaded yesterday:

I wonder if this is actually "official" unreleased music because you can hear sound effects, footsteps, etc. Seems like the youtuber did some audio sorcery to pull this track out of the film itself.

11. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Sounds good to me!

12. Takes One to Rogue One

Jan 4, 2017
    Nice, thanks for the link.

13. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I will probably rip the end titles directly from the disc for my library. Good stuff!

14. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    One of the big complaints when the cd was released and when the film opened was the score, which to me is crazy judging it solely based on a few listens. This is not a bad score by any stretch and with more views of the film and listens to the cd it can only get better for me.

I really like the use of familiar motifs which you can pick out in many places. One that jumped out to me is how they incorporated Vaders original theme when hes in the bacta tank.

One of the things that was levelled at this score was it sounded like a someone was making one of the 1980s SW rip off films. I'm sure it was a concious effort to try and make it different to the originals to set it apart. But there were a couple of instances that reminded me of the 1980 Flash Gordon orchestral score. I was disappointed to see no end titles on the soundtrack cd and also the score from when we first Jedha as as meet Saws men for the first time as the camera swoops over the fallen Jedi statue.

15. coervus

Mar 31, 2017

I really love the segment that starts at 2:50 -- another bit of music I wish had made it onto the soundtrack. It is so effective at creating a sense of peril and desperation during that beautifully shot run on the shield gate. The end of this track is also the music that plays during that awesome ascending shot of Blue Squadron after the AT-ACTs are dispatched.

16. Takes One to Rogue One

Jan 4, 2017
    Dayman76 likes this.
  17. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    I haven't been able to find the stream anywhere. [face_waiting]

18. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm seriously starting to think it's been cancelled :(

19. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    The soundtrack does it's job to compliment the film well but it is obvious that the music took a backseat for most of the time. Star Wars is all about music, sound and visuals. If one of them doesn't work, the the rest starts to lack.

20. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012

Agreed, I wasn't expecting the standard End Title at all and it was such a pleasant surprise. I like that Williams tries to do something different with the End Title for each of the films he scores, but I do miss the classic ending fanfare.

Nibelung likes this.
  21. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I have to say that I preferred the score to RO over TFA. I really love Jyn's Theme, Hope, When Has Become Now, and Your Father Would Be Proud. I am also interested in how the score would have been Alexandre Desplat scored the film. After hearing his scores for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, I am pretty sure he could've nailed Rogue One's score.

Dayman76 and cwustudent like this.
  22. coervus

Mar 31, 2017
    Darth Dnej It's interesting that you bring up Desplat's Harry Potter scores because I think he was the wrong choice for HP and am overall quite glad he couldn't do RO after all. I guess I don't really get Desplat... I find many of his scores at once very busy and "muted" -- or, in kinder terms, subtle and atmospheric. He's certainly versatile, if HPDH and Godzilla are any indication, but I find it very hard to connect to his scores emotionally, and that made his work for HPDH a great disappointment to me as a diehard HP fan. In contrast, I appreciate Giacchino because he is so good at finding emotional themes and simply letting them take center stage. His sound is so dynamic, too.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  23. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
  24. FilmScoreMedia

FilmScoreMedia Jedi Knight

Oct 11, 2015
    It's not official. I'm the one who mixed it and uploaded it. As the cue has not been released, and most-likely won't be released for some time, if at all, I used a Blu-Ray rip to extract the music. It's impossible to edit out 100% of the sound effects, so I did the best that can be done for now.

coervus and darkspine10 like this.
  25. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Confrontation on Eadu is one of my favs!! So beautiful..

cwustudent likes this.