main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The PGA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Apr 12, 2009.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    This is why they call Saturday at Augusta "Moving Day."

Tiger Woods is 5 under with 3 to play, easily the best round he's played in 3 years. Unfortunately, he's still 8 back of the leader. Mickelson has taken second place, 5 back - he's 4 under with 8 to play.

Edit - Rory McIlroy and Tiger Woods will be paired together in the final round of the Masters.

2. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    Well done to Spieth. Always great to see the family love at the end. I was rooting for Rose, big Phil and Mcilroy for the excitement but Jordan was pretty unfazed. Nice rounds from Casey and Poulter too. Woods and Mickelson's eagles another highlight today.

heels1785 likes this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Amazing round for Langer today, in his 33rd Masters, second best round of the day. 3 off of the lead going into the final round!

4. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Quite a day so far. Three hole in one's. And the Spieth Tin Cup's 12

5. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    It's funny because they didn't even show Willett play on the TV coverage.

6. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    USGA is going to take tremendous heat with their decision to force Dustin Johnson to play nearly 9 holes without letting him know if they are going to issue a one-stroke penalty for his ball moving on the 5th green. Psychologically, that's incredibly unfair.

First, replay has shown over and over that it was not of his doing on the 5th green, so it's a non-starter.

Second, they're putting on amateur hour by refusing to make an expedient decision in the final round of the US Open after issuing him a pseudo-notice that they were "looking into it."

A sport often criticized for being slow and having not caught up with the times with its rules and technology is looking really, really bad right now - on their biggest stage. The most popular stars of the game not currently on the course - McIlroy, Spieth, and Fowler - have all publicly issued condemnation of the USGA over the past half hour for it. Also, kudos to FOX, a neophyte to PGA coverage, for allowing their lead analysts Faxon and Azinger to publicly criticize the USGA.

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Fox sports is reporting that Arnold Palmer has died.

8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Great man who lived a great life. He was loved by millions, hundreds of millions, around the world.

RIP Arnie.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    If you were a child who was obsessed with sports and grew up within "spitting distance" of Augusta National, as I did, Arnold Palmer was likely a big part of your childhood. He personified everything that was right about golf, and humanity - someone wrote yesterday that he was a humanitarian who "happened to play golf." I couldn't agree more. I know 87 is a full life, but he will be missed terribly, and I got a good cry in upon news of his passing.

I imagine the Golf Channel will run their magnificent 3-part series "Arnie" sometime this week, and I encourage any and everyone to watch or DVR it if you can.

Some great photos. Spoiler tagged them to prevent clogging up the thread.

Jack and Tiger are always linked by the Major title pursuit, but I think when we look back at it, Tiger and Arnie were more alike, in how they pushed the game forward.
    [​IMG]

Arnie and Jack, through the years:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

His goodbye to St. Andrews in 1995.
    [​IMG]

Arnie, Jack, and Gary - Arnie's last tee off at 2015 Masters.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

RIP
    [​IMG]

Ali, Arnie, Pat Summitt, and Gordie Howe. All in one year - so much history we've lost.

cubman987 and Juliet316 like this.
  10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i wonder if you could find a single person who had something bad to say about arnold palmer. i don't care much about golf, but his charitable work, his impact on millions of people, the way he treated everyone he met and the patience he had for all those fans transcended the game. he was a true icon, i would say more so than any other golfer who has ever lived.

11. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Wow, yeah 2016 has been just as bad to sports icons as it has to celebrities. Palmer was always a guy I admired growing up learning to play golf, he was just so likable and genuine, and of course, one heck of a golfer.

heels1785 and Juliet316 like this.
  12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    The extent of his philanthropy really is incredible - four hospitals built with his backing.

1989 - Winnie Palmer Hospital for Women and Children (Florida)
    2002 - Arnold Palmer Pavillion (Latrobe, Pennsylvania) - cancer treatment
    2006 - Winnie Palmer Hospital for Women and Babies
    Arnold Palmer Prostate Center at Eisenhower Medical Center (Palm Springs, CA) - nonprofit cancer research and treatment center

Also looked after animals. In 2000, the Winnie Palmer Nature Reserve was opened in Latrobe, Pennsylvania as a sanctuary for wildlife and ecological learning environment.

He leaves a legacy much larger than golf, apparel, courses, and his created drink.

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    If this leaderboard holds tonight, tomorrow's final round at Augusta is going to be spectacular. So many strong and experienced players, most of whom have never gotten a jacket.

15. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Hoping the winner comes out of the second to last pairing.

16. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Great last few holes of golf. Turned into match play. Good comebacks and a few choke putts from both Rose and Garcia.

Pathetic showing by the Americans on Sunday. Outside of Kutcher and that hole-in-one, nothing from them. I guess Dustin Johnson set the tone for the week with falling down his stairs.

17. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Glad to see Garcia finally win a major. Could see how much it meant to him.

KnightWriter and cubman987 like this.
  18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Great finish, really happy for Sergio, always been a fan of his!

19. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    I'm in amazement every year that it is always just the most gorgeous day on Sundays at Augusta. One of the most enjoyable sporting events to watch each year.

....and the fact that a post 50 year old Fred Couples gets another top 20 finish.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Not really. Three of the eight low scores today (67/68) were Americans. Kuch, Chappell, and Stricker.

Great for Sergio. Never been a huge fan, but he's certainly put in a career worthy of a jacket.

21. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    I guess I meant to say that any American in contention on Sunday didn't play well. Fowler, Spieth and Hoffman played themselves out of the tournament.

heels1785 likes this.
  22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Ah, I gotcha. I do agree with you on that. I was expecting more from Rickie, actually hoping he would win the tournament - Spieth got caught on the 12th again.

Guidman likes this.
  23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    SI cover for Sergio:

[​IMG]

24. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Tony Romo will be joining Jim Nantz and Nick Faldo in calling the Dean & Deluca Invitational this weekend. When I'm watching golf, I've always wondered what an ex-NFL quarterback would offer to the broadcast. Hoping its only for 5 minutes or so.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I actually think it's a pretty good move on CBS' part to give Romo some experience in the booth before putting him out there in front of NFL audiences this fall. Plus he actually knows the sport (he's tried for the US Open last month), so it's not like he's someone who's coming it like other celebrity atheletes who enter another sports broadcast booth (see: Monday Night Football some games)