main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Forces of Destiny: New Animated Shorts Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    inb4 "BUT IS IT CANON??>?"

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Heh, love the three pairs of heroines and droids.

4. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998

Ha! For those inevitable posters who will demand answers but are unwilling to read the whole article:

"In some cases, multiple heroines will appear in adventures with each other, even though some of them are from different eras – but it’s all official canon. One of the opportunities here was to tell the stories in between the larger moments and imagine some of the ways our characters have crossed,” says Carrie Beck, an executive producer of the shorts and a member of the Lucasfilm story group braintrust. “It’s all part of the larger swath of storytelling.” More will be revealed this Friday at the annual Star Wars Celebration fan gathering.“

Sinrebirth likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I've got a good feeling about this.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  6. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    This could be cool. I'm kind of hating how much of this stuff is dropping just before Celebration, but I guess it doesn't really matter that much. The show itself seems neat. I wonder if they'll venture beyond the 8 shorts, or if that's going to be it? Kind of a mini-series of couple-minute animated shorts, like Tartotovsky's Clone Wars?

7. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015

It's 16 shorts; the first eight are being released together in July, followed by another eight in Fall. Each set of eight will be bundled as a TV special in Fall, as well.

8. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I really, really love this kind of thing, DC does this a lot and I think the strength of the Genndy series really proved that Star Wars can thrive in this medium

Looking forward to it, and love that all that talent is on board! I just think it's so cool that they can do this sort of thing with the franchise.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Barriss_Coffee and spicer like this.
  10. Palizinha

Palizinha Jedi Master star 1

Jul 12, 2015
    Still not a musical, but exciting nonetheless.

I'm especially into Hera and Leia teaming up. And seeing Ketsu again, since she straight up disappeared after season 2.

11. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    *In my dream*

We are announcing "Forces of the Old Republic".

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  13. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Whew, new feeling for me as someone who ranks all 8 Star Wars movies as the best films ever made. But this looks... awful. I have zero interest. The animation quality is just terrible, like something a 2nd grader came up with, and the idea for the stories in general is almost worse than the animation. Yeah, ok, it's CANON but it has people in stories together who didn't even exist at the same time?! That makes a lot of sense.

When people worried about Disney taking over Star Wars, this is what they were talking about. Nonsense like this. The movies have been incredible, so I'll give them a pass here, but if they're going to announce a new animated series it should be something by Dave Filoni, the apprentice turned master himself, and it should be the type of incredibly realistic animation we've come to expect. Not some coloring book quality animation that would make even a 10-year-old cringe.

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Assuming that characters who don't exist at the same time will meet seems like an awfully unfounded assumption. The one case mentioned in the article is that one of the shorts will have Hera and Leia together on Endor, which is entirely believable.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    1) You haven't seen the animation yet- just concept art and animatics. So it is impossible to judge the animation quality yet.

2) Dave is overseeing all Lucasfilm Animation projects now- including this one.

3) You can have projects rooted in canon that don't necessarily exist in continuity (such as The Freemaker Adventures or the tabletop games resource books). When they've used the canon term in this manner before it basically means "authentic to the SW universe" or that they can contribute elements to canon even if they don't exist as a whole.

16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Being old school, I'm glad that we're getting a 2D animated show. And the fact that the episodes will be 2-3 minutes long, reminded me instantly of the Clone Wars microseries. Can we please have Tartakovsky direct some of the episodes for this?!? It's right up his alley, as he's done (phenomenal) short 2D Star Wars animation!

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    THIS LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!:D

I wish I were a kid again. These look great -- I love short stories. My hope is they include Barriss somehow. I dunno how, but in some way.

spicer and Sinrebirth like this.
  18. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    And VENTRESS

19. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Barris and Ventress are great, but I feel that we don't and never ever had nearly enough Bultar Swan.

20. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I hope this ends up being considered just as canon as rebels, with references and foreshadowing galore.

One short that would be perfect for the tone this series seems to be going for is the story on how Phasma escaped the trash compactor

I hope the Ahsoka shorts aren't based on any unused TCW scripts. Though I do hope this gives Filoni the chance to show us his little Ahsoka origin story he's been toying with for the past few years.

theraphos and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  21. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    After sleeping on it I've gotten cynical about this. I'm sure we won't see any Lit characters (Sloane, Ciena, Aphra) one because they're not marketable and two because they're villains/anti-heroes. Second reason goes for Phasma, Ventress and Barrios also. We cannot have little girls growing up wanting to be villains or something. Despite the fact we've had Kylo Ren (who committed patricide) Halloween costumes for young boys for the past two years

22. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    The fact that this is narrated by Maz is perfect, and makes total sense. I'm excited.

Revanfan1 and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  23. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Very cool news. I think this pretty much confirms though that we will be getting an announcement for a new main series this weekend as if there were no plans to announce anything new like that this announcement likely would have been held until celebration.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  24. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Anyone think there's a potential for a short about a completely original female hero? Maybe just a rebel pilot we haven't met before or something?

25. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Probably not. Shorts really don't give audiences enough time to start feeling a whole lot of attachments to characters they don't know yet. So it is best to just tell stories about characters people are already familiar with.