main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit JOURNEY TO STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
  2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Eeeeek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wonder what the Luke and Leia books will cover?

5. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Great trailer, even better poster, now more Claudia Gray. swoon

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Aaaaand once again, a comic series NOT by Ostrander&Duursema... There's always the next series.

But in any case, definitely excited for these!

7. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Geez, FINALLY some material for Phasma and Luke.

8. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

Well, the mystery box is not needed anymore. ;)

9. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017
    I'm betting the Leia one is set before ANH.
    Anyone know anything about the Luke book? Is it an anthology or novel? Is it a one off or series?

10. Manny Bothans

Manny Bothans Jedi Master star 1

Jun 12, 2013
    Phasma: Damage Control (No seriously, look forward to her this time. We promise.)

SilentGuy66, Jedi Ben and TheRedBlade like this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I hope that, if they're using the "Journey" slogan, that this time it really is proper set-up for the film. I liked pretty much everything in "Journey to TFA", but from a marketing standpoint they kind of shot themselves in the foot with it.

darthcaedus1138 and Diego Lucas like this.
  12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Well, given that it actually focuses on characters the movie's centered around, I'm guessing it will. However, I think it may end up being more "Journey to TFA" than TFA's was, in Luke's and Leia's cases, and Phasma's novel may be pre-TFA, with the comic being between TFA and TLJ.

SilentGuy66 and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  13. Diego Lucas

Dec 12, 2015
    I feel this thing too, about the last journey.

14. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    Its being written by a Hugo Award winning fantasy author name Ken Liu. Here's a blog post from him. I might have to check out some of his work, since it sounds like its right up my alley. A mix of historical fiction and fantasy.

That cover pic is throwing me a little, since it looks more like a kid's book cover. But given who's writing it, it doesn't make sense for it to be a kid's book. Hope we get more info tomorrow.

Now I'm kinda bummed I'm working my way through the Wheel of Time, since I want to check out Ken Liu's books. I think my brain would explode if I tried to read both at the same time.

15. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    That's one of the reasons I never read A Song of Ice and Fire --- I always had WOT on the back-burner. And I was always putting off digging into the next one, because if I looked at my overcrowded bookshelf I would always be less intimidated by three- and four-hundred pagers than a thousand-pager. Especially after Book Six, where things reallllllllly started to slow down. I put off Book Seven for ages because I was worried it would continue to crawl at a snail's pace, but Book Seven ended up being one of the highlights of the series. How far are you into WOT? I finished the last book a few months ago but I haven't really talked to anyone about it yet.

16. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    Also Phasma novel! I cannot wait!!

17. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    So we have:
    • Phasma comic miniseries
    • Princess Leia YA novel (Claudia Gray)
    • The Legends of Luke Skywalker (Ken Liu)
    • Phasma (Delilah S. Dawson)
    Did I miss anything else?

18. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Only the most important thing: the BB-8 picture book!
    [​IMG]

19. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    There's a photo I've seen of the Phasma novel on display and behind it there's a book with the title "The Perfect....."

Either this could be The Perfect Weapon getting a physical release

OR

It's a sequel to the perfect weapon?

20. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    It's a trilogy, of course.
    "The Pefect Weapon," "The Perfecter Weapon," and "The Perfectest Weapon."
    There's also room for a prequel ("The Almost Perfect Weapon") and an interquel ("The Perfectish Weapon").

21. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    While his work doesn't personally interest me, he sounds like a fantastic writer. What I am even more excited about is that we're pulling from someone born in China, who translates books from Chinese to English, whose first foray into Star Wars was through a Chinese novel of ESB.

Have we had any authors who weren't from the United States or a European-based country? I feel like an author has been from Brazil, but that can be from another series I'm thinking of.

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker and Jedi Ben like this.
  22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010

WOT gets put down a lot, but it's honestly one of my favorite fantasy series. The payoff was fantastic.

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

MandaloreRex2015 and Balaaa like this.
  24. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000

Not that I can recall. I just took a look at my bookshelf, and no one jumped out.

I'll be really interesting just how this book goes. Especially since so much of Jedi philosophy is based on Eastern philosophies.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  25. Diego Lucas

Dec 12, 2015
    SWCO 2017: FIRST LOOK AT JOURNEY TO STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI COVERS AND MORE REVEALS FROM LUCASFILM’S WRITERS ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION

SEE COVERS FOR THE JUST-ANNOUNCED NOVEL STAR WARS: CAPTAIN PHASMA, CLAUDIA GRAY'S LEIA: PRINCESS OF ALDERAAN YOUNG ADULT BOOK, AND MUCH MORE!

Lucasfilm’s Michael Siglain and Jennifer Heddle moderated a discussion featuring an all-star lineup of Star Wars writers: Timothy Zahn (Heir to the Empire, Thrawn), Beth Revis (Rebel Rising), Delilah Dawson (The Perfect Weapon), Charles Soule (Poe Dameron, Darth Vader), Jody Houser (Rogue One), Michael Kogge (Poe Dameron Flight Log), and Ben Acker & Ben Blacker (Join the Resistance). They talked about everything from process to thoughts on future projects. The end of the panel, however, featured a first look at tons of new books — including an announcement of the Journey to The Last Jedi publishing program, which will bridge the gap between The Force Awakens and the next film in the saga, as well as new children’s comics from IDW called Star Wars Adventures. Here’s a selection of insights from the authors, as well as many of the covers revealed.
    Timothy Zahn on writing Thrawn in the new canon: “It was still the same character, I’m just writing him in a different era…Canon, the new Star Wars saga, really isn’t that restrictive. There’s a huge galaxy.”
    Ben Blacker on writing established characters and creating new ones: “The fun is in both. We get to play with these toys…But then there’s this opportunity to bring something new to the canon. It’s really thrilling and a lot of fun.”
    Beth Revis on her excitement in writing an earlier story about Jyn Erso: “I could see who she was in the end, and then create the reason why she became that type of person.”
    Deliah Dawson on The Perfect Weapon, her book starring mercenary Bazine Netal: “It was really fun to look at a character and get to decide why she was the way she was and what different parts of her wardrobe meant.”
    Charles Soule on his upcoming Darth Vader series for Marvel: “I cannot wait for you to see it. It’s like Vader Year One. It’s when he comes right off the slab and starts doing terrible things.”
    Jason Fry on how his other obsession infiltrates his Star Wars obsession: “I did three Clone Wars Visual Guides for DK, and in the process you end up naming about 3,000 clone troopers. All mine were really dorky references to New York Mets players.”
    Below you’ll see a wide selection of upcoming titles, including titles from Star Wars: Forces of Destiny; Deliah Dawson’s Captain Phasma novel from Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi; a BB-8 illustrated picture book that tells the story of what happened to the lovable droid on Jakku; and much more. Consider this a special preview — details and release dates to come!
    http://www.starwars.com/news/swco-2...from-lucasfilms-writers-roundtable-discussion

SWpants, Barriss_Coffee and Iron_lord like this.