main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Captain Phasma #1-4 (4/4 Released) [Journey to TLJ]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Did you really think a trash compactor could stop Captain Phasma?
    During today’s just-finished publishing panel at Star Wars Celebration Orlando, Marvel announced a major new title: Star Wars: Captain Phasma, a 4-issue miniseries set after Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Launching in September from writer Kelly Thompson and artist Marco Checchetto, Captain Phasma will be part of the Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi publishing program — and we’ll get to see her escape from the doomed Starkiller Base. Check out the awesome cover for issue #1 by Paul Renaud below.
    StarWars.com caught up with the series’ creators to get their thoughts on continuing and expanding Phasma’s story.
    Kelly Thompson: “It’s exciting enough when someone lets you contribute to the Star Wars universe in any real way, but when they let you create the first ever Phasma story for comics? Well, that’s about as good as it gets! Like most, I’m a huge fan of both Gwendoline Christie and Phasma. Christie is magnetic and Phasma has so much fascinating untapped potential…potential which I can’t wait to help unlock for fans in our comic.”
    “I’ve been a fan of Marco Checchetto’s work for a long time. We actually almost got to work on something together once before and it didn’t work out, so I’m really excited that everything came together this time. And his work on Star Wars: Shattered Empire was some truly exceptional comics, and I’m so excited about what he’s bringing to Phasma.”
    Marco Checchetto: “With this series, I’ve had the opportunity to work on each era of Star Wars. Obi-Wan and Anakin in the prequel era, Shattered Empire and The Screaming Citadel in the classic trilogy, and now in the new era of Star Wars. I’m thrilled to be working on new characters. I’m a huge fan of Star Wars: The Force Awakens and obviously can’t wait to see Star Wars: The Last Jedi. We have not seen much of Phasma, and I’m very excited to explore more of this character. Kelly is a great writer. I can’t wait to read her script and start work on the series!”
    And we can’t wait to read it. Welcome back, Captain.
    Dan Brooks is Lucasfilm’s senior content writer and editor of the StarWars.com blog. He loves Star Wars, ELO, and the New York Rangers, Jets, and Yankees. Follow him on Twitter @dan_brooks where he rants about all these things.
    [​IMG]

2. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    Wait! There won't be just a Phasma book, but a comic series too? Awesome!

3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    Is Kelly Thompson the writer who was accused of being a hardcore feminist and had some controversy with marvel fans over the Mockingbird series? It might have been a different writer but the name sounds familiar

5. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, so this'll be the Classified trade that was spotted a while back then.

7. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    It was Chelsea Cain, but even if Kelly had been involved in some sort of controversy before getting the Phasma job, wouldn't you consider it fair to read the first issue before judging the work?

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Han and Finn having an OT goof on Phasma and them being responsible for this madwoman reign of evil continuing because they did not properly terminate her, comes off just silly. But hopefully they can salvage the character that was portrayed in TFA, but villains in SW just do not often survive long at the hands of the writers and directors. If Phasma was killed on SK it would've been perhaps better off, if she just does more of he same stuff, the character was something of a dullard in the film and easily gets captured and aids her captors in actually destroying the base. She put her her own life ahead of her training, her oath and comrades and leaders . Realistically, I don't really know why Snoke, Kylo or Hux would want her around at that point. Maybe if she's a clone, or she tries and hides that fact of her part in the destruction, but still, whats the end game, a heroic turn or just another death?!

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    With all this tie-in material, maybe she'll even be in the movie this time!

10. KikReask

KikReask Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2016
    Hopefully we'll see her do something this time other than just walking forward holding her gun. (Watches The Last Jedi trailer) Goddamnit there she is doing the same thing again! :p

11. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016

Wouldn't you consider it fair to read what he is actually saying before jumping to the conclusion that he is judging the work

Dr. Steve Brule and revan772 like this.
  12. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014

I wasn't judging her work I was just wondering if it was the same writer. I will certainly give Phasma a read just as I have been doing with all of the new canon comics.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Holy cow, a book and a comic!

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  14. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    I don't want to get into a flame war. There was no direct judgment in the initial statement. But the only context on that comment was the connection of hardcore feminism and controversy with Marvel fans.

My point was, even if that was the author, why would that have been something to bring up in this thread? If the author makes comments about the intention or direction with THIS series, I would consider that fair game to discuss. However the context was the controversy with Mockingbird, which last time I checked has nothing to do with the Star Wars universe.

Seemed a strange point to bring up if there was 100% innocent intentions with making the connection.

So my point was, regardless of what happened in the past regarding another title unrelated at all to Phasma, wouldn't it be fair to read the first issue of this series without attaching unearned baggage right out of the gate.

I know I would hate it, if every single one of my past "controversies" was used to judge every future project I worked on.

Alas, the point is moot, as it isn't even the same author.

I am really looking forward to a Phasma centered story set between TFA and TLJ.

Pfluegermeister and Vorax like this.
  15. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying for my thick skull. :)

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Second that too, Take my galactic credits also

18. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016

Jumping to conclusions on controversial topics wouldn't be a great way to start lol

no harm done, just seemed a weird post to make

19. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    So, she does get out of the trash compactor, then what, she gets thrown in a sarlacc? :p They have a long way to go to make Phasma impressive again after what a horrible job TFA did with her. Cool design, but minor role and pathetic showing- but then TFA wasn't great overall, so that's not her fault.

20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Well, Boba Fett had a pretty poor run in RotJ and look what happened to him...

Lady_Misty likes this.
  21. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Zuuvio had a short story and an action figure, so who knows! Lol

vncredleader likes this.
  22. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Phasma? I sense some damage control going on here [face_laugh]. At least it has Checchetto as the artist so can't be that awful right?

Dr. Steve Brule and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Yeah... this is probably the least character of the GFFA I am interested in reading a story about.
    But I will give it a try. Plus, it wouldn't be the first time the EU convinced me to care about characters that were such a turn off in the movies.

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Finally a story set after TFA!

25. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    The beginning of The Last Jedi takes place right after The Force Awakens. If this series really leads into the beginning of TLJ it's just gonna be five issues of Phasma making a mad sprint for her shuttle before the planet blows up