main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to The Last Jedi - The Rebel Files by Daniel Wallace (Canon too!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Apr 17, 2017.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    [​IMG]

Do we have a thread for this? If not, I'm all about this book. :D

--Adm. Nick

2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Woah.

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    What is this? Reminds me of the Book of Sith.

AusStig likes this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    That looks awesome. And it also looks like something that will spy on me in my home.

5. Zohar

Zohar Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    The book that was missing in the manuals hall!

6. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Thanks to friend of the boards and SW superfan Dan Wallace, we learned a few things on Twitter about this awesome book:​
    "It has a scrapbooky feel told with in-universe docs. Reveals Alliance history from Rebels-ROTJ and is basically a huge Mon Mothma jam."
    Which is awesome, as anything covering Rebels through ROTJ that is canon is basically a dream book of mine. :D
    When asked by a certain fan of Ackbar (identity unknown... :p ;) ) whether Ackbar was a part of the guide:​
    "Ackbar content confirmed"
    Needless to say, that fan offer to pay large sums to Dan as thanks. To which I...er... the fan learned was to be paid in whaladon ivory. [face_laugh]^:)^
    Joking aside, I'm thrilled to be getting more Dan Wallace content in the NEU canon. He's been missed and I am certain we'll all be extremely impressed by this book. :)
    --Adm. Nick​

7. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Yeah, I am totally buying this. I loved the other three that came out before.

8. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Sweet! I have the Jedi, Sith, Bounty Hunter, and Imperial handbooks he wrote, and I always thought we sorely needed a Rebel equivalent to complement the Imperial one and complete the set. And the timing is pretty good, now it can include stuff from Rebels and Rogue One.

darklordoftech and Sinrebirth like this.
  9. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    Do we know a release date of it? (so much want!)

10. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Yes! The closest we got to getting a canon Book Of Sith etc was Rey's Survival Guide and Poe's Flight Log, although they were nice they didn't have the "you're holding an actual document from the star wars universe in your hands" feel.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    It looks sweet! But it's weird that this one will be canon when Jedi Path, Book of Sith, the Imperial Handbook and the Bounty Hunter manual are not...

12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I hope those collector's editions get re-released someday - would love the Sith one.

13. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The release date is listed as November 1st, 2017 according to a link over on the Wookieepedia.

--Adm. Nick

14. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Day before my birthday, excellent! Though realistically I may have to wait for the cheaper version that comes without the case.

15. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Nice, this is a must buy.

16. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998

Just timing, really. The others were all written before the Disney acquisition, although The Imperial Handbook was actually published after and was in a weird state of canon limbo until someone realized it should probably be Legends.

This one was fully planned & written under the new continuity with input from the Story Group.

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    First off, like I said on Twitter, I'm super excited to see you working in the SW universe again. You & Jason remain my top two favorite writers for this sort of book, so I have zero doubts that it won't a super well received work by fans. :

When writing something like this, how do you approach weaving old canon tidbits into the new canon? I noticed that in the Rogue One Visual Guide, Pablo found a really cool balance between crafting new history for the Rebellion and dropping tidbits straight from the old WEG Rebel Alliance Sourcebook (chief of state title, setup of Rebel civilian gov't, Telaris reference, etc).

Any tantalizing hints that you can tease about the book/be bribed to divulge? I just spent the weekend illegally whaling Whaldon, so I've got plenty of ivory for payment... [face_devil]

--Adm. Nick

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    And this, friends, is why you can never trust Rebels.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

19. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    I'm looking forward to this and it's synergy with Jason frys rebel dossier /mission files

20. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Whaladons are sentient you monster! I don't go hunting Norwegians.

MercenaryAce and LelalMekha like this.
  21. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998

Good catch! I worked closely with Jason's manuscript for Rebel Dossier, and used a lot of the same conventions like how the Rebel Alliance would use document headers and the like. There's a numbering/classification system that seemed to be present in Jason's docs which I carried over into The Rebel Files.

22. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998

I included lots of old references. In my experiences so far under the new canon, there's no point in recreating things that don't need to be recreated. If the Mantooine Liberators were an important part of the early Rebel Alliance according to WEG, why couldn't they still be a part of the new canon alongside groups like the Lothal rebels? There's no reason, really. So things like that go into the manuscript and I trust that if Lucasfilm has an issue with it, it'll get flagged. Somebody like Pablo or Leland is guaranteed to recognize that and will know how to deal with it in context.

Now, something like Garm Bel Iblis? That won't work, or at least that's too messy for me to try to make it work. And it's character-based lore, and character stuff is much more likely to be off-limits in order to leave avenues for potential future fiction projects like novels and animation.

Then there's a third category, the wink-and-nod category. Like in Jason's Rebel Dossier he doesn't reference the Eye of Palpatine (too messy), but he does reference the star system where the Eye of Palpatine was constructed. Those things are partially an "I see what you did there" for fans--but they're also something that makes sense in-universe under the first category above. If that system exists in the new canon [and it does, we use the same map] and if it was capable of building an automated battlemoon in the old canon, then in the new canon it's probably still an Imperial shipyard at minimum.

23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    You are really missing out then.

24. Zohar

Zohar Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017

No love for Garm :(

25. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Excuse me, but we got a new Garm: