main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Did Anakin truly bring Balance to the Force?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Articulate, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    The opinion on this seems to be split, particularly in light of the PT events.

Personally, I think the answer is yes. Anakin brought Balance to the Force, and Rey will learn to *MAINTAIN* Balance in the Force. Luke is too close to the light to be able to deal well with the Dark Side, but perhaps useful in bringing out the light in those who have gone too dark. What do you think?

2. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    Sorry, that should be "ST events", not "PT events"

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, he destroyed the Sith and brought balance to the Force as established in ROTJ.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    As the newcanon junior novelization of ROTJ: Beware the Power of the Dark Side, puts it:

In the end, Anakin did what no Jedi—not Luke, not Obi-Wan, not even Yoda—could do. In killing his master—the mighty Sith Lord Darth Sidious, known to the galaxy as Emperor Palpatine—Anakin fulfilled his destiny and restored balance to the Force. And so, though the galaxy will not honor him…Luke will.

5. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    This is a great debate subject. I know it's been done a lot, but I don't feel anyone has reached a definitive answer.

The obvious answer is Anakin killed Sidious, restoring balance to the force. This is what Lucas pretty much says. But isn't it interesting the wording Lucas uses? He says there must be "balance in the force."

Lucas didn't say "Anakin will return the galaxy to the light." So for me at least, the two most important questions are as follows:

What part exactly did the destruction of the Jedi play in restoring balance?

And what role will Luke and Rey in maintaining that balance?

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  6. fastcooljosh

fastcooljosh Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2017
    he did, then Disney bought LF.

7. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I suppose it all depends on the definition of balance.

8. JediKnight234

JediKnight234 Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2017
    What rank do u think Rey will be in VIII

Knight
    And how many years between VII and VIII

9. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That's one thing I feel not so sure about when it comes to the new trilogy. So far - and granted, we don't know much about it, especially not the outcome - it seems to trend more towards a light&dark sort of balance, where both need to be around for balance to exist, and were "being grey" is the way to go. Quite frankly, I don't think that would truly fit to what happened before. The entire point was that Jedi were aligned with the force, letting it flow through them and listening to the will of it, while the Sith were trying to bend the force to their will. This means the Jedi don't disturb the force, while the Sith, if influential enough, can cause the force to fall out of balance. If the Jedi were somehow also disrupting the balance, a chosen one would have needed to appear much earlier than he actually did, not right at the point where the Sith were starting to catch up to the Jedi again.

But again, we haven't even reached the second movie of the trilogy yet, it is a bit early to jump to any conclusions.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    At the end of ROTJ, when that was the ending, yes. Now with TFA, TLJ and E9? Who knows.

11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Remember its all from a certain point of view.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The destruction of the Jedi contributed to leaving the galaxy in deeper darkness. Balance doesn't mean no dark side. The dark side didn't cease to exist with the destruction of the Sith. It ceased to take over the light, which was what the Sith did.

None. Luke was the catalyst for Anakin to fulfill his destiny and bring balance to the Force.

13. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Nowhere has it been stated the Force was out of balance in TFA therefore yes Anakin brought balance to the Force in RotJ but it doesn't mean evil or the darkside cease to exist after this act since it is naturally part of the Force. Neither Luke nor Rey are chosen ones but they're still important as are the Jedi i.e., Lor San Tekka.

14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Yes. We can't be definitive about it but it is indicative that the Jedi are a factor tied to the Force going out of balance.

It was already happening as TPM started and was continually getting worse. Drawing the Jedi into the conflict certainly made it even worse as the guardians of peace and justice were now soldiers in a war machine.

Presumably with some knowledge of how the line of Bane Sith achieved this result it would be part of the new Jedi Order to evolve to deal with the weakness exposed by Sidious.

Luke's Jedi Order was not attached to the new Republic as the Jedi Order of old was.

My reading is that balance is just that. Either light or dark can gain advantage or even domination for a time but things will even out. This doesn't have to mean a galaxy wide political institution is a Republic or Empire.

What the saga was about was events that would lead to the dark being dominant continually. This was stopped.

This does not mean that things can't go wrong again and for a very long time but the circumstances the Sith created were unnatural and created by them.

There is no indication thus far that anything of that sort was going on in TFA or that Snoke has done anything like the Sith did.

15. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    On one of the prequel movie's special features DVD (can't remember which), GL said that Anakin did bring balance to the force when he destroyed Palpy. That's good enough for me.

theraphos likes this.
  16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The fact that there is a war helps bring the Force even more out of balance. Also the fact that the Jedi, the guardians of peace and justice, were forced into the war led to the criminal activities they previously fought against to develop. It's all a chain reaction that makes the dark side grow.

In TPM, the imbalance was barely noticeable. It was at the end of AOTC that the 'tsunami' came.

With the destruction of the Sith, the dark side ceased to be exploited in such a major way, and with that the imbalance ended.

The Force is not tied to a government or institution. But considering the scope of both throughout the galaxy, a democratic regime doesn't create/foster the imbalance that an oppressive regime does.

civilsecret, Sarge and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Lucas said that if the lines between good and evil are crossed, the dark side grows as a result of it, then a balance will need to be restored or the Force will remain out of balance. Once the Sith are gone, the Force is in balance. Back in that push-pull tension that used to exist.

It's still in balance. That hasn't changed because Lucas sold his company. He was already starting work on the ST, long before then and was going to have a Jedi killer who went on to become Ben Solo/Kylo Ren. Remember, Lor San Tekka states that without the Jedi, there can be no balance in the Force. Luke is still alive. Ergo, the Force is still in balance.

Jo B1 Kenobi likes this.
  18. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    It's however you interpreted it. If you look at with an open mind he brought balance on multiple levels, but it depends on your outlook.

19. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    LOR SAN TEKKA
    This will begin to make things right.
    I've traveled too far, and seen too
    much, to ignore the despair in the
    galaxy. Without the Jedi, there can
    be no balance in the Force.

There was balance at the end of ROTJ.....but 30 years later, there's only one Jedi left, and he's gone into hiding. With a new, powerful Dark Side user (and his army and apprentice) on the rise, the Force is becoming unbalanced again.

Luke simply "existing" isn't enough to balance the Force....otherwise, the Force would have been balanced in ANH. He must defeat those who misuse the Force, so the Force is not in balance in TFA.

civilsecret likes this.
  20. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I think he did, but..."there is so much more"...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Yes. He ended the Sith when he killed Palpatine. Bringing balance to the force = eradicating the essence of evil, the Sith. With chaos -- caused by evil -- there can not be balance. But with the Sith gone, peace consumes the galaxy. conflicts and dark times are bound to occur but the force will lead them through it. The Sith use the force as a wrecking ball , the Jedi use the force as a compass. The Sith refuse to follow the force's direction and therefor they throw it out of balance

I know George Lucas has confirmed Anakin did indeed bring balance to the force in ep6 and fulfilled the prophecy. Whatever you think of the prophecy and how it was finally fulfilled is your opinion (I know many don't like the prophecy) .. But it is canon that Anakin brought balance

22. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    What is the Force's balance? I heard it was like $125 or something.

23. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Try the comedy thread next time. :p

Subtext Mining likes this.
  24. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    There's a comedy thread?