main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Tone/Genre Of Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Gamma626, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I've been pretty iffy on the idea of a Han Solo film for a while now, but now that R1 is out, and TLJ is gearing up for it's marketing, I realized something. This will be the first Star Wars film that won't have major stakes. I mean, the plot will have some kind of weight I'm sure, but it'll be the first time the characters of our films aren't involved in a legit war as part of an alliance/rebellion/army. Even TPM had galactic stakes involved. This will be the first Star Wars film where they can just have a light entirely fun tone to it. Should be an interesting time at the movies.

Now that I say this watch it be a super dark Star Wars film about the Empire's enslavement of Wookies.

whostheBossk and Avnar like this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    TITLE CHANGE FOR MORE GENERAL DISCUSSION.

3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The article StarWarsNewsNet published a few weeks ago about the future of the series mentioned the Han Solo film as having a comic book/pulp tone. I'm down with that.

Lee_ likes this.
  4. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    For me personally I am thinking that the tone needs to be some sort of combination of like a "buddy cop" ala Lethal Weapon as well as maybe an Oceans Eleven heist feel.

I admit that this may not be the best style for all but I just feel like since this movie has no real "greater meaning" that is how they should play it.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    A mix between Better Call Saul (in the sense that it's a prequel detailing a major character's backstory) and Lethal Weapon (mainly the humor and dynamics between the characters) is what I'd like to see.

11-4D and Scapro Tyler like this.
  6. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    They'd better be careful and not lean too much towards "Guardians of the Galaxy" in tone and style. Make it funny, sure, but not over-the-top silly.

7. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    As Darth Nave, I feel like Lethal Weapon silly would be okay.

8. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    The tone of the film? Hmmm... I think Han himself should be played the way he was in ANH with other characters ranging from slightly humorous to down-right serious! Han could bounce his humour off the serious characters... I think Han works best within the sarcasm realm and situational style humour. IMO K2SO was great. His humour is the best for these type of films, in the fact that he was funny within situations that shouldn't be. They need to avoid Jar Jar style antics. They need to tread carefully here... :cool:

Lighter in tone - But not stupid.

9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Guessing itll be lighter tone movie than RO.

10. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    From that alien, maybe more cheerfully playing with the inherent silliness of the cantina bits of New Hope.

The Cantina is of course a core part of the Han Solo story. I'm sure he got drunk and into fights there regularly.

Avnar and PymParticles like this.
  11. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
  12. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    That is the dumbest thing I have ever... wait that's actually spot on. The tone Spielberg established in Raiders of the Lost Ark should be the goal here.

13. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I think that's the least risky guess ever made.

14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    [​IMG]

15. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    For some reason... I could see the Indiana Jones theme work in a Han Solo film... albeit slightly different.

Mostly Handless and Avnar like this.
  16. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    I don't know. I feel like Indian Jones was already established and knew what he was all about. Having that tone for this movie would kind of go against the grain of the whole "Han Solo coming of age." Doesn't Woody Harleson play his mentor?

17. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, but I think the basic tone can be maintained. Raiders of the Lost Ark is adventurous, it's brisk and light and breezy, it's funny, but it's also menacing and scary when it needs to be, and it knows when to slow down for a second or two to let the audience catch its breath and take in the gorgeous vistas. Indy also takes his licks pretty often; he gets beat up, he gets knocked down, he sometimes needs Marion to save his ass, which can fit the "green around the gills" Han we'll probably be seeing in this movie.

The obvious parallel here is to capture the tone of the prologue in The Last Crusade, but 1) if they had carried that sequence out for a minute longer it would have become groan-worthy, and it's an absolute wonder they were even able to make it work in the first place, let alone as well as it did, and 2) I really want this movie to avoid winking, nodding, and nudging as much as possible. The opening of TLC is nothing but winks, nods, and nudges.

18. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Yes! Indiana Jones in space, sign me up.

19. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    As long as there lots of Han and Lando interacting together, I'm good. I like the idea of a Indiana Jones - Raiders feel too. I'm really looking forward to the movie.

20. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I think Lord and Miller said It will be a Western.

21. SirChosenOne

SirChosenOne Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2017
    Indiana Jones is a great film series to get an idea of the possible tone of the Han Solo film from. Lightheartedness mixed with moments of danger and adventure on a quest that requires wits and guts to overcome. Instead of a magical relic to find, Han and Chewbacca could smuggle something or help someone or be on the run from some debt they owe and have pirates or bounty hunters after them. Maybe have to evade Imperial authorities too. It'll have a Western feel much like parts of the other Star Wars films of course but I think many Western films about cowboys/gunslingers versus bandits/outlaws provide a good template for this film as well. The cantina scene in ANH felt much like saloon scenes in Western films so more parallels could be used in this film as well. Heist films also would be good influences for tone.

22. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    I heard it will have a western/outlaw feel to it, which is kind of what I expected.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  23. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    I wonder how colourful the film will be? Like a rainbow or dull and gritty like other SW films.

24. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    Interesting thread.

Initially I thought the OP was going in the direction of something I've thought about regarding the Han Solo film...

The Solo film will be the first character-centric SW film in the franchise. It will be a character-driven narrative rather than an event-driven narrative. The closest SW has come to this so far has probably been ROTS, but that was set against the backdrop of the fall of the Republic. So it was still focused on a major event with a character-focused lens.

RO is obviously an event-based film, even though it contains excellent character development.

The Han Anthology is just a story about Han. New territory for SW.

If we're lucky, the tone will be what those in this thread are hoping for -- light and adventurous but not stupid or childish. An Indiana Jones feel is a great aspiration. But I think this first Han story will be similar to JJ's Star Trek '09 film -- sort of a predictable origin story but so fun with the right mixture of lightness and seriousness that people can't help but to enjoy it. You know what's going to happen broadly but there's a couple big twists and you really enjoy experiencing all the first meetings you know are coming and the character growth along the way...even if it does go by really fast. It's just fun sci-fantasy.

Now, I think Han Solo 2 (and 3....) will have more of an Indiana Jones feel. Han and Chewie together on the Falcon doing smuggling runs and heist missions. I bet we get the Han sequel before a Kenobi picture.

Avnar likes this.
  25. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    So I take it you liked The Hobbit films look over LOTR'S...? Give me "dull and gritty" any day of the week! In other words - make it look real!

p.s - Twain Is there going to be more HS films...?