main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 8 Title - The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jan 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

I can look at clouds and see an elephant pattern. It does not mean that there is actually an elephant flying.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Whether there's a pattern or not, ask yourselves this: end of the day, how much does it really matter that it's maintained? I'd rather a good title that reflects the film than a bad and/or inaccurate title that keeps tradition.

3. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I'm deeply depressed about it. In my headcanon it's called "Battle of the Ahch-To Puffins." Oh well.

KSennia, 11-4D, Siphonophore and 3 others like this.
  4. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Furthermore, we're in a new era. Fans expecting these films to hew to an old formula need to let go of that assumption.

5. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    It matters A LOT to me. So much so that I've already created a title for my fan edit of the movie:

The Assault of the Convors.

Or:

Snoke's Mobile Base Retaliates.

6. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I think we're all kidding ourselves if we make claims like, "The title should be something that isn't Epic Space Fight Confrontation."

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  7. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    You found a pattern in it. And other fans found different patterns.

That doesn't mean the patterns are intentional.

8. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    You gravely underestimate the powers of The Maker.

9. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    God, listen, as much as I admire George Lucas, and I wrote a freaking paper on the man's biography in the fourth grade, this habit of some fans referring to him as "The Maker" or "The Creator," seriously or otherwise, has never struck me as anything less than creepy and weird. It just sounds extremely culty, and not in an endearing way.

I digress.

10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
  11. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I'm writing a screenplay called The Last Flight of Luke's Convoree Ark -- A Star Wars Story, starring Elliott Gould as Luke Skywalker, Geneviève Bujold as Rey, and Rick Schroder as the puffin shepherd orphan who lives on Luke's island. Luke is unemployed and owes a large amount of debt, but he hears through the Force that he could make some money selling two of his Convoree to some natives on a faraway island. So, Luke and Rey choose two of their least favorite Convoree, and hop aboard the Super Battle Puffin, the largest bird in their fleet. It's pretty big..... like.... bigger than an Aiwha. Anyway, the puffin sheppard orphan, Bob-Ra, he stows away on the Super Battle Puffin under a wing, nestled in the feathers. They're flying over the sea when a storm causes them to go off course. Lightning strikes, and they crash into an island. On the island are two Imperial holdouts who don't know the war is over (the previous war). Super Battle Puffin was badly injured in the crash..... too injured to fly. After a few days of camping with the Imperials, they want to get back home as soon as possible, mainly because those two are acting very peculiar. Luke, Rey, and Bob-Ra decide to secretly turn SBP into a boat. Since they still have two Convoree, those two are used to propel the boat by whipping their tails back and forth, and they scoot their way back to Luke's island, where Chewie is shaking his head and pointing at the Falcon. There's a lot of other things that go on, too. I won't spoil it. Okay.... here's just one spoiler:
    Luke, Rey, and Bob-Ra think the two guys they're stranded on the island with are Imperial holdouts, but they are actually Snoke and Kylo Ren in disguise. It was a trap. They were the ones who sent out the classified ad through the Force for Luke's Convoree, and it was Snoke who used Force lightning to crash the bird. As for why there was no showdown between Luke & Rey vs Snoke & Kylo....... that's top secret. Well, I'll tell you anyway....... Snoke and Kylo were disappointed with the quality of the Convoree that Luke and Rey brought with them, since Luke and Rey chose their least favorites. Snoke's plan was to buy the Convoree from Luke and clone them for a massive Convoree army, but he changed his mind when he saw what they brought. But that still doesn't explain why they didn't just duel it out then and there. You'll just have to wait and see what Snoke has in store. I'm not saying he grabbed a feather from SBP's wing to create a clone puffin army, but maybe he did. Or didn't. As for what happens in the final battle, it turns out.... even though Luke and Rey chose their least favorite Convoree, technically, they were The Chosen Ones..... the Convoree who will bring balance to the Force. Oh, and one other thing..... about the title....... Last Flight does not mean "final" flight. SBP will fly again in the sequel, "The Next Flight of Luke's Convoree Ark", followed by "The Next Flight of Luke's Convoree Ark 2".

12. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    TFA may describe both hero and villain, making it neutral compared to ANH & TPM.

Now we have the 8th movie possibly describing the previous "new hope."

13. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    The sheer horribleness of that is breathtaking.

Siphonophore and PymParticles like this.
  14. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm literally crying tears of joy at how terrible that is.

From the bottom of my heart: thank you

15. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    I see he's upholding his tradition of not responding to nonsensical questions on Twitter.

CrazyOldJedi and Gigoran Monk like this.
  16. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Did you notice the Easter eggs in the puffin shepherd orphan's name? In "The Last Flight of Noah's Ark", Ricky Schroder's character's name is Bobby. In The Last Flight of Luke's Convoree Ark, Rick Schroder plays Bob-Ra. There's a semi-famous cereal called "Puffins", made by Barbara's. Also, there's a scene in the screenplay where Luke and Bob-Ra are walking through the island's puffin cemetery, and Luke is trying to scare the little shepherd:
    Luke: "They're coming to get you, Bob-Ra."
    Bob-Ra: "Stop it! You're ignorant!"
    Luke: "They're coming for you, Bob-Ra!"
    Bob-Ra: "Stop it! You're acting like a child!"
    Luke: "They're coming for you! Look! There comes one of them now."
    Bob-Ra: "He'll hear you!"
    Luke: "Here he comes now..... I'm getting out of here!"

And from out of the stone beehive mausoleum lurches a rather large puffin that Luke has reanimated using the Force. Then, puffin skeletons begin to emerge from their graves, like a scene out of Jason and the Argonauts, but this time, Luke has nothing to do with them being reanimated.... this is all Snoke's doing. Luke and Bob-Ra duel the puffin skeletons, then Rey comes to the rescue and bops them on their heads, and they go back into their resting places.

That scene above is a Night of the Living Dead Easter egg.
    [​IMG]

17. 2old2Bhere

2old2Bhere Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 8, 2014
    So this likely late to the table, I did scan through previous pages to no avail, but watching TFA the other day (in 3D) I noticed 2 references to Luke Skywalker being "The last Jedi". First was in the first paragraph of the opening crawl "...Luke, the last jedi,..." and the second was a comment by Snoke in his first appearance, I believe the quote was "....Skywalker, the last jedi....".

The implications are plentiful and full of speculation but these references from E7 may narrow speculation to being a story primarily around Luke more so then Rey or possibly, and I favor this, more of a "passing of the baton" from the current last jedi (Luke) to the new last jedi (Rey). Meaning, like Obi-wan, Luke does something selfless.

18. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I don't believe for second that the naming patters for EP1-6 are a coincidence !

EP1-3 mirror EP1-6 & that was Gorge Lucas's intension......

19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    DROP. IT.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  20. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Rian Johnson is following the naming pattern George Lucas created wherein all titles have words in them.

Vasco_Rojo, thejeditraitor and Satipo like this.
  21. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Note that "DROP. IT." doesn't mean, "but let's allow others to get one last dig in".

22. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I was trying to lighten the mood, not get a dig in. I don't like digging.

23. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Could Yoda be the last Jedi?

24. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    At least he was the best Jedi

Wildcatbarry and Ubraniff Zalkaz like this.
  25. Giando74

Giando74 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 24, 2014
    Can we talk a little bit more about the title?

According to this source: https://www.cnet.com/news/who-is-the-star-wars-last-jedi-star-wars-rian-johnson-luke-skywalker-rey/

"Last Jedi" director Rian Johnson told ABC News on Friday that he was surprised by all the confusion.
    "It's so funny when people started asking that," he said. "I had never even pondered that question. In my mind, (Jedi is) singular. In my mind it is."

So... why it has been internationally translated as plural in every other language (italian, spanish, portuguese and french for example)???

I'm confused! :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.